Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Anime: Giant Robo DVD Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-06, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anime: Giant Robo DVD Questions

It's amazing how searching the web for one thing leads to another....

So I found some info on "Johnny Socko and his Giant Robot" just for nostalgic purposes and came across the OAV "Giant Robo". After reading about this series, I really wanted to pick it up.

Upon doing a search for these DVD's, I came across a bunch of titles that I'm hoping someone who's more familiar with this topic can clarify for me:

Giant Robo Economy DVD - is this the entire 7 episode OAV or just the first 3 episodes of the OAV or all 3 Volumes of "The Day the Earth Stood Still"?

Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still Vol. 1 to 3 - the US Version of the Giant Robo OAV has the caption "The Day the Earth Stood Still". There are 3 volumes that are currently available on DVD. Is that the 7 episode OAV?

Giant Robo Premium EyeBall - this looks to be the entire OAV but I don't have room for this box (?) in my collection.

I was only able to find a thread on DVD Talk from 2004 discussing this series but if someone can point me in the right direction, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
Old 08-15-06, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts
I think there's already an anime thread..

The premium eyeball is, I think, only disc 1. It's a funky box shaped like Folger's eye (from the anime), that has CD-jewel-case housing for the DVDs. Creative, but I don't like it.

The recent economy release is the three dvd (7 OAVs, the Day the Earth Stood Still) set at a super cheap price. highly recommended. The anime itself is great.
Old 08-15-06, 06:53 PM

Thanks for the info! I was hoping someone would step up and enlighten me.

It's funny, I wasn't sure if anyone was going to reply to my post so I ordered the "Economy" DVD about 15 minutes ago.

I can't wait to check it out because it's pretty unanimous from what I've read that this series rocks!

Thanks for validating my purchase, Fujishig.
Old 08-15-06, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Yeah, it's truly one of the best OVA series ever made. It was originally released in Japan over a period of seven years, and the wait between episodes (thanks to the cliffhanger endings to each episode) was excruciating. Getting the complete series plus the Ginrei specials for under $20 is a steal (the "Economy" set includes the Ginrei Special DVD, so it's actually four DVDs).

The subtitle for the series was "The Day the Earth Stood Still" in Japan, too.

Also, it appears that a new GR animation is in the works: http://www.gr-anime.com/
Old 08-15-06, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i believe the complete set has since become available with the premium eyeball packaging.

Originally Posted by fujishig
The premium eyeball is, I think, only disc 1. It's a funky box shaped like Folger's eye (from the anime), that has CD-jewel-case housing for the DVDs. Creative, but I don't like it.
Old 08-16-06, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
So THAT's where Giantrobo got his name. Maybe he has some information about this.
Old 08-16-06, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Giant Robo is the greatest thing ever. Of all time. Ever.