Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Question about anamorphic process

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-06, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Question about anamorphic process

I was over at another forum complaining about the new re-release of the Street Fighter II animated movie not being anamorphic and someone responded with "a true anamorhic master does not exist for this movie". I'm not familiar with the whole anamorphic process, but is this a legitimate excuse? Can it not be made anamorphic after the fact?

Last edited by Maxflier; 07-20-06 at 04:52 PM.
Old 07-20-06, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, a widescreen movie can be remastered for anamorphic. Maybe it was too expensive for them. Maybe they just wanted to get the product out the door. Maybe this is what they agreed to distribute with the copyright owner. Maybe all or none of that
Still, a shame.
Old 07-20-06, 05:55 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxflier
I was over at another forum complaining about the new re-release of the Street Fighter II animated movie not being anamorphic and someone responded with "a true anamorhic master does not exist for this movie". I'm not familiar with the whole anamorphic process, but is this a legitimate excuse? Can it not be made anamorphic after the fact?
My guess is he was saying the filmed process was not anamorphic (i.e. using anamorphic lens on the film cameras to effect a 2.35:1 aspect ratio on the 35mm film running in them), and failed to realize you were talking about the DVD format being anamorphic. Apples and oranges. From your end, you are right.
Old 07-20-06, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The R2 release of this movie is also non-anamorphic, so we can presume an existing anamorphic master that could be used for the R1 release does not exist. The Japanese company (not sure who it is) could make one from the original film print or whatever, but they won't randomly do it unless they have plans to rerelease it in R2, and Manga Entertainment almost certainly don't have the materials to do it themselves.
Old 07-21-06, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Anamorphic masters didn't exist for pretty much every film before the DVD format came out. They certainly can be created at a later date than the orginial video master, provided film elements still exist.

It all depends on what Manga was willing or able to do in regards to mastering the film.
Old 07-21-06, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay G.
Anamorphic masters didn't exist for pretty much every film before the DVD format came out. They certainly can be created at a later date than the orginial video master, provided film elements still exist.

It all depends on what Manga was willing or able to do in regards to mastering the film.
This is what I wanted to say when I saw this thread earlier, but I couldn't find the right words, so thank you.

This was a point that really got my blood pressure up in the Star Wars thread, when people thought you couldn't make them anamorphic because they were made before 1997.
Old 07-21-06, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by milo bloom
This was a point that really got my blood pressure up in the Star Wars thread, when people thought you couldn't make them anamorphic because they were made before 1997.
The ironic thing about the Star Wars comments is that Star Wars was filmed anamorphically, even though anamorphic filming and anamorphic enhancement for DVDs are two different things.

A good site I like to point people to about the differences in filming techniques and transfers is this one:
http://www.modeemi.cs.tut.fi/~leopold/AV/FilmToVideo/
Old 07-21-06, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay G.
The ironic thing about the Star Wars comments is that Star Wars was filmed anamorphically, even though anamorphic filming and anamorphic enhancement for DVDs are two different things.
The really ironic thing was the people that had enough knowledge to know it was filmed anamorphically, but couldn't grasp the usage of the word as pertaining to DVD. I think those people pissed me off more than the ones that had no clue whatsoever.