Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Matador (BBV's version lacking all special features)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-06, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
The Matador (Missing special features?)

Hey guys,

I just read the DVDtalk review of The Matador, which lists a bunch of special features, such as 2 audio commentaries and deleted scenes.

I just received my advance copy, and my store received copies to sell this Tuesday. Both are completely bareboned. Only special features are previews to other movies.

Is there more then 1 version of this film available? My UPC is 687797617897.
Old 07-02-06, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts
After checking IMDB and Amazon, looks like the Full Screen is barebones but the widescreen is packed with extras.
Old 07-02-06, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
THank GOD I always buy Widescreen.

Thanks TomOpus!
Old 07-02-06, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
Hey guys,

I just read the DVDtalk review of The Matador, which lists a bunch of special features, such as 2 audio commentaries and deleted scenes.

I just received my advance copy, and my store received copies to sell this Tuesday. Both are completely bareboned. Only special features are previews to other movies.

Is there more then 1 version of this film available? My UPC is 687797617897.
Something is weird with that.. It comes up in DVD Profiler, but as you've indicated, it's different.. There's no extras, where as if you compare the back covers of what you have, to dvdempire (for both WS and FS), there are PLENTY of extras.

I couldn't explain why there appears to be different versions, but that's very, VERY weird..DVD Profiler indicates it's a USA release..It's not the Canadian disc that somehow made it's way this side of the border..My only other guess, would be for some strange reason, they've pressed a disc without extras, for rental places like Blockbuster and Hollywood Video.. other than that..I've got no idea..

The rear covers are almost identical for the WS discs, except for the lack of extras, and the disc you have does not have the "Genius Productions, Inc." logo inbetween the Miramax and DVD Video logos..Also on the back cover on DVD Empire, there appears to be numbers, where the one you have has a First Look Pictures logo..
Old 07-02-06, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts
there is a bare bones wide version that is being made available for rental.
dont know if this will be for retail too.
Old 07-03-06, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Maybe they're trying to save a few pennies by going with a single layer, barebones release?
Old 07-04-06, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I went to my local BBV and picked up a rental copy of this movie on my way to Wal-mart. I was a bit surprised to see that this movie had no special features but thought that it might be due to it not doing so well at the theater. But later I went to Wal-Mart and checked it out by chance and it had quite a few special features as well as the bonus disc. Does anyone know whay this happened with this particular movie? I've heard of BBV getting some episode only discs for tv shows but this is a bit awkward.
Old 07-04-06, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I started a thread about this the other day. Seems that the rental places received barebone discs.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=470572
Old 07-05-06, 11:23 AM

It's strange because BBV has the two disc sets of RENT, KINGDOM OF HEAVEN, RETURN OF THE SITH, THE DEVIL'S REJECTS but not HARRY POTTER/GOBLET FIRE, nor CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY. BBV also carries the MASTERS OF HORROR series with two episodes per disc and no special features. Maybe it's a studio thing and not BBV who makes such decisions as to what versions are carried instore.
Old 07-05-06, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Peep
Maybe they're trying to save a few pennies by going with a single layer, barebones release?

The movie really wasn't a "hit" so who would be saving money? This is definitely a studio decision and not BBV.
Old 07-05-06, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hate how this film is being advertised as a sleek savy thriller, when it reality it's a calm, held back character piece/black-comedy. We're gonna get a lot of joe-six-packs coming into best buy claiming it was the worst movie of the year and that makes me sad.
Old 07-05-06, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts
It looks like the studio wants you to buy the DVD over renting. I mean it makes sense, if you purchase it they make more money over renting.
Old 07-05-06, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I'm sure its on a studio by studio basis. I'm surprised it took movie companies this long to figure it out. LOTS of people buy their discs used meaning the movie companies get Zero $$. Give rental outlets the barebones only, giving people a reason to buy new versions instead.
Old 07-05-06, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I also find it funny that BBV got the 2 disc Lord of War when a 1 disc widescreen version is available.
Old 07-05-06, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That could definitely cut down on the "I'll buy it when it's used at ________" mentality.
Old 07-05-06, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
That could definitely cut down on the "I'll buy it when it's used at ________" mentality.
BAH!

I live (and apparently, die) by that mentality. I rarely buy new anymore. I guess I will with this one, though - great flick.

cheers,

-the Jesus
Old 07-05-06, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by FILMCZY
The movie really wasn't a "hit" so who would be saving money? This is definitely a studio decision and not BBV.
Is that a serious question? The studio (who pays to manufacture the disc) would be saving money.
Old 07-05-06, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll post this here also:

I just went to pick this up at WalMart. I was hoping that it was on sale, but I saw it for $19.99, full price. I was just about to leave and then I saw a two-pack for $19.99 also, so I went ahead and picked it up. Here is a scan of the front and back of the "bonus" disc:

Old 07-05-06, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

That's pretty sad. I like the cover for the Bonus Disc more than I do the actual DVD.
Old 07-05-06, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
That's pretty sad. I like the cover for the Bonus Disc more than I do the actual DVD.
I agree. TERRIBLE choice of cover art for the official release.
Old 07-05-06, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
I agree. TERRIBLE choice of cover art for the official release.

Brent, are the special features worth anything on the bonus disc?
Old 07-05-06, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't watched all of it yet, but it seems pretty solid so far. The Toronto International Film Festival Press Conference seems really interesting, and the E! thing is everything you'd expect - scenes from the flick mixed with a few interview segments and that sort of thing.
Old 07-06-06, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

a few of the trailers on the BBV rental copy of The Matador were forced as well - it was a great movie tho
Old 07-06-06, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Peep
Is that a serious question? The studio (who pays to manufacture the disc) would be saving money.

The point being since this movie certainly did not burn the box-office, why would the studio spend the money to release two versions on dvd? This movie is hardly going to be a "blind buy" for consumers so why not just have one SE and be done with it (like the majority of studios)? I can understand releasing a "rental only" copy of a blockbuster like HARRY POTTER but this?
Old 07-06-06, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Isn't this what they've been doing in the UK for years now? A barebones rental copy, with the store version being the one with the special features.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.