Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

DS Lite Screen Covers - Good Idea or Ripoff?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: DS Lite Screen Covers: Are They Worth It?
No way! Rip off!
8.33%
Eh. Depends on how anal you are about things.
58.33%
Yes. A must-have accessory.
29.17%
Other (explain)
4.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-06, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a DS Lite on the way, and I saw they have some kind of "DS Lite" starter kit available for about $20...comes with some game cases, extra stylus (styluses? styluci?), headphones and screen covers. For owners of the DS/DS Lite...are the screen covers a must-have? Or just a ripoff to make more money for them? Thanks for your input.
Old 06-16-06, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They're useless for the top screen. Some consider it a necessity for the bottom screen due to stylus use, but personally I like to go "unprotected." If you don't press into the screen and make sure it's clean of dust before use, you aren't going to run into any problems. Some people take a "better safe than sorry" approach and I think that's cool too, but seeing as I played a lot of stylus heavy games (Pac-Pix, Trauma Center, Kirby) on my fat DS and didn't have a single mark on the screen I don't think it's needed.

Now, if you've got kids that are going to use it, do not pass go, get one now!
Old 06-16-06, 09:16 AM
Retired

For the anal....or those with kids.

I had my regular DS since launch an no scratches at all on the top screen, and none on the bottom that are noticeable during gameplay (and can only be found when looking for them in direct sun light or under a lamp or something).

Couple that with the DS lite touch screen supposedly being more scratch resistant I can't see the point (again with no kids involved) of paying for decent ones, the frustration of getting them on with no bubbles or dust, and then still usually having the screen be at least marginally less clear than with no protector.

Plus, even if you would fuck it up, it's only $130 bucks. We're not talking about a $600 PS3 here (and I'm a poor Ph D student).
Old 06-16-06, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I have a 4 year old, and I was going to let her "play" Nintendogs, but not really "play" it (in other words, I'd be supervising). Besides that, just me and my wife.
Old 06-16-06, 09:29 AM
Retired

BTW, from what I've read, most of the screen protectors that come in kits are of crappy quality. At least for the orignal DS. Not sure of the Lite has some better options out there.
Old 06-16-06, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This kit was an official Nintendo kit. Not sure if that makes a difference or not, but just thought I'd throw it out for consideration.
Old 06-16-06, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My girlfriend got some Pelican protectors when she got her pink DS and they actually ruined her stylus. I hadn't heard that particular one form anyone else but generally anything made by Mad Catz or Pelican is absolute putrid trash so it's not surprising. Most people claim the Hori protectors as the best but they're only available online, if you've got a 4 year old that's going to play, even under supervision, I'd probably suggest getting some.
Old 06-16-06, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
For the anal....or those with kids.

I had my regular DS since launch an no scratches at all on the top screen, and none on the bottom that are noticeable during gameplay (and can only be found when looking for them in direct sun light or under a lamp or something).

Couple that with the DS lite touch screen supposedly being more scratch resistant I can't see the point (again with no kids involved) of paying for decent ones, the frustration of getting them on with no bubbles or dust, and then still usually having the screen be at least marginally less clear than with no protector.

Plus, even if you would fuck it up, it's only $130 bucks. We're not talking about a $600 PS3 here (and I'm a poor Ph D student).
$130 is still $130 - for some it's not change you carry around in your pocket.

Each of my 3 kids have their own DS and after one year of use their touch screens are all scratched to hell, so much so that the bottom screen has become somewhat blurry. So, this time around I got screen protectors for their Lites.....hell, I even put one on mine. They're inexpensive and, to me, a worthwhile investment.
Old 06-16-06, 10:53 AM
Retired

Like everyone, myself included said, they are much needed for kids.

Just not for adults as you're not going to scratch it up if you only use the proper stylus, don't press ridiculously hard, and wipe all dust off the screen before playing each time.
Old 06-16-06, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by darthlurker
Well, I have a 4 year old, and I was going to let her "play" Nintendogs, but not really "play" it (in other words, I'd be supervising). Besides that, just me and my wife.
Yeah, I have Nintendogs on the way for 2 - 5 year old girls that live in the apartments. Now I'm wondering if I should get a screen protector. I've felt bad that they cannot play any XBox 360 or Playstation 2 games, so I bought this game with them in mind.

Plus I have 4 or 5 teens playing the Lite also. Maybe I should get a screen protector. Hmmmmm

Chris
Old 06-16-06, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts
Originally Posted by mrpayroll
Yeah, I have Nintendogs on the way for 2 - 5 year old girls that live in the apartments. Now I'm wondering if I should get a screen protector. I've felt bad that they cannot play any XBox 360 or Playstation 2 games, so I bought this game with them in mind.

Plus I have 4 or 5 teens playing the Lite also. Maybe I should get a screen protector. Hmmmmm

Chris
I believe Nintendogs is the reason my DS (non Lite) has such a scratched up bottom screen... washing the dogs and petting them are probably the most I've ever used my stylus in a game. The scratches are lite, and don't really affect gameplay, but you can definitely see them when the system is turned off and it does bother me. When my wife got a pink DS, I got a screen protector immediately.

Sure, it's only 130 bucks, but hey, the protector is probably less than 5 bucks. What I've heard works well is getting PDA screen protectors and cutting them to size, rather than using Pelican or some other cheaper brand. I've also heard Hori is excellent, but haven't bothered to get one online yet.
Old 06-16-06, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Went ahead and picked some up...also got my DS Lite from my friend. One dead pixel...doesn't really bother me on Brain Age. Is it worth the hassle to replace it for one dead pixel? What's the general consensus?
Old 06-16-06, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
My girlfriend got some Pelican protectors when she got her pink DS and they actually ruined her stylus. I hadn't heard that particular one form anyone else but generally anything made by Mad Catz or Pelican is absolute putrid trash so it's not surprising. Most people claim the Hori protectors as the best but they're only available online, if you've got a 4 year old that's going to play, even under supervision, I'd probably suggest getting some.
How did it ruin the stylus?
Old 06-16-06, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Fandango
How did it ruin the stylus?
It kind of chiseled at the tip. She had to throw that stylus away afterwards.
Old 06-16-06, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
It kind of chiseled at the tip. She had to throw that stylus away afterwards.
How did that happen from using it on a screen protector? Was the surface rough or something?
Old 06-16-06, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
How did that happen from using it on a screen protector? Was the surface rough or something?
I have no clue, it couldn't have been how she used the stylus though because her screen as it is since she took it off is fine and she's used my Lite a lot since I got it and it's still in brand new shape. Like I said, I hadn't heard that from anyone else so it was likely an isolated incident.
Old 06-16-06, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I've ordered the Hori ones. I don't know if they're needed or not, but since this is my first DS I wanted to play it safe.

Darthlurker, is the pixel black or is it some other color? From what I've heard, if it's black it's dead, but if it's some other color it's stuck and will eventually become unstuck.
Old 06-16-06, 04:32 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where did you get the Hori ones? They are specifically for the Lite?
Old 06-16-06, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I purchased Hori ones from Play-Asia along with a compact case.
Old 06-16-06, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by eau
Where did you get the Hori ones? They are specifically for the Lite?
Here
Old 06-16-06, 06:51 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I wouldn't mind getting a cover for my DS Lite. I just don't really know where to look.
Old 06-16-06, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought the Starter kit for the DS Lite from Target this week and I'm happy with it. I put the cover on the bottom one and threw it out for the top. Good idea? Ehh, I got the kit because I wanted something to hold everything when I go on vacation this summer, as for the covers, I wouldn't actually go out and buy them nor did they influence my decision to purchase the kit.
Old 06-17-06, 03:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How bout for the outside of the DS Lite? I got the InvisibleShield for my iPod and it's awesome and I feel is an absolute necessity since the iPod scratches from just sticking it in my pocket. And I hate to cover it up with some kind of case. The DS seems less scratch prone and maybe less visible if scratches do occur, but I'm still debating whether I should also get the InvisibleShield for it. I haven't been able to find any pictures of it on a DS Lite.
Old 06-17-06, 08:44 AM
Retired

Originally Posted by V-ism
How bout for the outside of the DS Lite? I got the InvisibleShield
It's pricey for the DS Lite at $30.

http://www.shieldzone.com/item_description/NTNDSLF.html

It doesn't seem like The Lite would scratch very easily, I'd reccomend just getting a case, or a neoprene sleeve etc to keep it in all the time when not playing.