Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Silent Hill -8/22/06

gerrythedon
06-12-06, 10:19 PM
updated

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment will release the love-it-or-hate-it Silent Hill on August 22nd. Director Christophe Gans' stylish horror film, based on the Konami game and starring Radha Mitchell and Sean Bean, arrives in separate anamorphic widescreen and fullscreen editions, each with Dolby Digital 5.1 tracks. Bonus materials will include the six-part Silent Hill Production Diary documentary featuring "Silent Hill Origins," "Casting Silent Hill," "Building Silent Hill," "Stars and Stunts," "Constructing The Creepy Creatures" and "Creature Choreography." Despite previous speculation, there will not be an extended version for now. Retail is $28.95. Also look for UMD and Blu-ray versions day-and-date.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
previous

Look for Sony Pictures Home Entertainment to release the recent big-screen adaptation of Silent Hill on August 22nd. There are no details yet, but it's a safe bet that there'll be unrated and R-rated editions. Stay tuned for more information soon.

DAVISDVD.com

Fincher Fan
06-12-06, 11:18 PM
Sold! I hope the set will be as comprehensive as the 3-disc Brotherhood of the Wolf set but somehow I doubt it...

gerrythedon
06-12-06, 11:37 PM
Sold! I hope the set will be as comprehensive as the 3-disc Brotherhood of the Wolf set but somehow I doubt it...

shit that'll be sweet...

Please! at least let it be a 2 disc!!

critterdvd
06-13-06, 12:18 AM
Was this a good movie, big RE fan but never got around to this on the theater.

Joe Molotov
06-13-06, 12:45 AM
I hope it comes with some good Unrated material. :up:

cerial442
06-13-06, 02:51 AM

I enjoyed it. There was a lot of story to follow, and it drags when they are not in the town.

Other than that I thought this was a well done film, and the first video game movie I've liked.

matome
06-13-06, 08:04 AM

In the same boat here. I think I will give this a shot.

Giles
06-13-06, 08:06 AM
I hope it comes with some good Unrated material. :up:

me too :D

gryffinmaster
06-13-06, 08:23 AM
Will read reviews of both cuts, and if the unrated seems to include more Pyramid action, then I'm in for the Unrated as opposed to the Rated. :up: Enjoyed the movie, then played the games afterwards, which made me appreciate the movie even more.

Mikael79
06-13-06, 10:44 AM
I originally had high hopes for this film, only to have my expectations drop after reading quite a few sour reviews.

I'm a big fan of the games, so I decided to go see it last week. I was really shocked at how much I enjoyed it! Usually video game films miss the emotions, the tone, the nature of the game it's based on, but I thought that Silent Hill the film really got a lot of things right. As mentioned above, it does drop a bit at the end, but overall - it was a really good (but not great) film.

starseed1981
06-13-06, 12:41 PM
More Prymaid Head action is a definite sale for me.

alfonsosoriano
06-13-06, 12:56 PM
I enjoyed this movie when I saw it in theaters. I may pick it up.

Thanks for the post!

scarredgod
06-13-06, 03:12 PM
i thought the director got everything he wanted into the film with no cuts. so ill be interested in this unrated version.

i would love a version with the side story of the husband edited out. which i believe was tacked on to the film when whoever ready the script said, "theres no men in this".

either way, i loved the film and im in.

starseed1981
06-13-06, 04:42 PM
i would love a version with the side story of the husband edited out. which i believe was tacked on to the film when whoever ready the script said, "theres no men in this".

I totally agree. IMO those scenes kinda sucked everyone out of the whole Silent Hill atmosphere.

gerrythedon
06-16-06, 09:54 PM
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment will release the love-it-or-hate-it Silent Hill on August 22nd. Director Christophe Gans' stylish horror film, based on the Konami game and starring Radha Mitchell and Sean Bean, arrives in separate anamorphic widescreen and fullscreen editions, each with Dolby Digital 5.1 tracks. Bonus materials will include the six-part Silent Hill Production Diary documentary featuring "Silent Hill Origins," "Casting Silent Hill," "Building Silent Hill," "Stars and Stunts," "Constructing The Creepy Creatures" and "Creature Choreography." Despite previous speculation, there will not be an extended version for now. Retail is $28.95. Also look for UMD and Blu-ray versions day-and-date.

DAVISDVD

Joe Molotov
06-16-06, 10:01 PM
So I guess no Unrated version after all. Oh well, I'm still getting it.

onebyone
06-16-06, 10:05 PM
Hmmm. So does this mean no extended version ever or one later down the line? I really wanted more Silent Hill damn it.

Oh well. I will be picking this up regardless.

gerrythedon
06-16-06, 10:11 PM
Well yeah this sucks if there is gonna be a double dip. This movie is in my top 3 favorites of this year. I don't double dip, so this is gonna be a last minute decision on buying it or waiting. Hopefully more news/rumors will be revealed closer to release date.

gryffinmaster
06-16-06, 10:27 PM
Despite previous speculation, there will not be an extended version for now
A "2-Disc Unrated Extended Cut" shortly after the initial release? Sounds familiar. ;)

This is also been a film that really grabbed my attention this year, so I'm excited to see what lies ahead. That six-part doc sounds like it might be a good watch.

Tom Woodward
06-17-06, 05:52 AM
It would be nice if he'd stop breaking announcement dates ;) Noones meant to add anything till Monday. I've been sitting on the information for three weeks.

Fincher Fan
06-17-06, 05:55 AM
It would be nice if he'd stop breaking announcement dates ;) Noones meant to add anything till Monday. I've been sitting on the information for three weeks.

That's a perfect reason to have an anonymous account!

dcrw6
06-17-06, 11:49 AM
I believe it was on Gans's production blog or something where he said that he got every bit of footage he wanted in the movie. No trims to the gore or anything. He said good luck on Sony if they want to try to squeeze one out, they can certainly try, but there's almost no other footage.

Having said that, Sony will release an unrated version around Halloween that reincorporates the scene where Sean Bean let out a knee-knocking sneeze and had a massive boogey hanging out of his nose for three minutes.

Patrick Mirza
06-17-06, 12:08 PM
Hey Thomas,

Pray tell, where on the Sony press site is there an announce date for Silent Hill?? Because I don't see one.

I came by my info legitimately and legally. If the info is already out there, that's not my fault.

If you have had the info for three weeks (yeah, right), you would have posted something about it by now -- like, say, the release date at least.

Go s**t in your hat.

GCole
06-17-06, 12:23 PM
Hey Thomas,

Pray tell, where on the Sony press site is there an announce date for Silent Hill?? Because I don't see one.

I came by my info legitimately and legally. If the info is already out there, that's not my fault.

If you have had the info for three weeks (yeah, right), you would have posted something about it by now -- like, say, the release date at least.

Go s**t in your hat.

wow that is a completely unproffesional response. cant you guys just get along? kiss and make up, come on.

Patrick Mirza
06-17-06, 01:31 PM
wow that is a completely unproffesional response. cant you guys just get along? kiss and make up, come on

Sorry, there'll be no making up on my end. Woodward always criticizes me. If The Digital Bits had posted the specs, there wouldn't be a peep about it from Tom. But because it's me...

Supermallet
06-17-06, 07:56 PM
I will be picking up the Blu-ray version. I loved this movie.

mndtrp
06-17-06, 11:17 PM
I'll probably rent it for the special features first. The movie is awfully fresh in my mind, and there are other purchases I'd like to make at this point.

Cool film, though.

Maryang Palad
06-18-06, 08:31 AM
I'm definitely picking this one up.

nemein
06-18-06, 08:51 AM
<i>MOD NOTE: A couple of things here... First, multiple account are not allowed and if discovered will lead to BANNING of all accounts. Second, please keep the comments on the release of the DVD itself. The back and forth personal comments and :crap: are also not allowed on DVDtalk and only serves to reduce a thread to a flamewar.

thx
</i>

Fincher Fan
06-18-06, 08:57 AM
<i>MOD NOTE: A couple of things here... First, multiple account are not allowed and if discovered will lead to BANNING of all accounts.

If you are referring to my post, I just mean don't advertise your website so the juicy details can actually be shared in this case possibly weeks ahead.

Peep
06-19-06, 01:06 PM

I just wanted to say that your posts (and your website) are very much appreciated. Ignore the haters. Keep up the great work!

mattressman
06-20-06, 10:07 PM
I thought this was just one of the worst films I've seen ths year. I was just frustrated by how bad it was when I left the theater. I definitely will not be picking this up.

gerrythedon
06-26-06, 04:24 AM
DVD/BR artwork:
http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/silent-hill.html

gryffinmaster
06-26-06, 07:54 AM
DVD/BR artwork:
:grumble:

Please let the Special Edition I'm banking on have THIS POSTER (From Sony Pictures' website) (http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/silenthill/postercontest/vote/images/1045.jpg) as the cover.

GIjon213
06-26-06, 08:54 AM
Sounds good to me! From all my gaming friends, they loved it, so I guess a lot of the critics haven't played the game... So I am going to give this one a cautious blind-buy.

Dean Kousoulas
06-26-06, 09:11 AM
Shitty artwork yet again. I'm with you gryffinmaster, give us that cover instead!

gryffinmaster
06-30-06, 02:31 PM
Shitty artwork yet again. I'm with you gryffinmaster, give us that cover instead!
Region 2 cover from DVD Active ... http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/silent-hill3.html

onebyone
06-30-06, 02:59 PM
That R2 cover is fabulous. I love that picture - that's the poster I got because I love that shot so much. Damn.

Joe Molotov
07-01-06, 12:55 AM
DVD/BR artwork:

It's too busy! This is all too busy! By the time you read it, you're already dead!

Peep
07-01-06, 10:39 PM
I much prefer the R1 cover to the R2.

gerrythedon
07-24-06, 10:54 PM
Region 2 cover from DVD Active ... http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/silent-hill3.html

not no more.

Revised: http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/silent-hill3.html

Joe Molotov
07-24-06, 10:57 PM
not no more.

Revised: http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/silent-hill3.html

Wow, they really uglied that up.

gerrythedon
08-11-06, 10:01 PM
well they changed the R2 cover again [for the 3rd time]
http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/silent-hill3.html

gryffinmaster
08-11-06, 10:34 PM
well they changed the R2 cover again [for the 3rd time]
http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/silent-hill3.html
Still really, REALLY like the color tones on the R2.

gerrythedon
08-14-06, 12:04 AM
Review by Scott Weinberg
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=23220

Ralph Jenkins
08-14-06, 04:14 AM
The R3 version (out a week earlier) looks like it includes Dolby Digital 5.1 EX and DTS ES:
http://www4.cd-wow.com/detail_results_2.php?product_code=382263

DVDMagic
08-14-06, 08:40 AM
After seeing the trailers I'm actually torn between renting it or blind buying it because it seems like the movie I'd enjoy. However, $$ are a little thin at the moment and I don't know if I can justify buying it.

Decisions, decisions...

tacos
08-14-06, 08:41 AM
I think I'll get the R3 version.

Fincher Fan
08-14-06, 01:31 PM
After seeing the trailers I'm actually torn between renting it or blind buying it because it seems like the movie I'd enjoy. However, $$ are a little thin at the moment and I don't know if I can justify buying it.

Decisions, decisions...

After a quick glance at your collection, I'm sure you'd enjoy the movie.

bunnydojo
08-14-06, 01:57 PM

Decisions, decisions...I have to agree with Fincher Fan. Based on your purchases of Gothika, The Grudge, The Haunting, Hostel, House of 1000 Corpses, House of Wax, Saw, Saw II, etc., this will be right up your alley. It makes almost no sense, but it has some very good art direction, some solid tension around the middle, and Radha Mitchell ( :eyebrow: ) shows that she deserves far more starring roles than she's been getting.

(And when I say the movie makes no sense, that's coming from someone who's never played the game, so take that as you will. :) )

DVDsAreMyLIFE
08-14-06, 02:19 PM
Any word on if BB or Target will have some sort special exclusive?

gryffinmaster
08-14-06, 03:51 PM

Decisions, decisions...
It's a great atmospheric flick. It doesn't have a lot of "scares", but it's a very creepy film that mirrors the game near perfectly. I'd blind-buy it.

And here's hoping to a bonus disc from either Target or (hopefully) Best Buy, since their bonus DVDs are usually little nuggets of gold.

Graystone
08-14-06, 04:50 PM
I'm a fan of the video game series, and enjoyed this movie as well. I'm hoping that its has 2 discs with some great material.

JarJarBinks
08-14-06, 07:56 PM
I'm a fan of the video game series, and enjoyed this movie as well. I'm hoping that its has 2 discs with some great material.
It's a one disc with only one featurette on it according to the reviews. You'll likely have to wait for an 'Unrated' edition for some decent extras.

DVDMagic
08-15-06, 08:36 AM
It's a great atmospheric flick. It doesn't have a lot of "scares", but it's a very creepy film that mirrors the game near perfectly. I'd blind-buy it.

And here's hoping to a bonus disc from either Target or (hopefully) Best Buy, since their bonus DVDs are usually little nuggets of gold.

Thanks for the input. I'm thinking that there may well be a UR SE somewhere down the line, so may hold off for now, but will definitely be renting it.

tacos
08-15-06, 12:34 PM
I ordered the region 3 for $11.95. I then get a email saying it want be in stock until the 22nd. Oh well.

Seantn
08-15-06, 01:11 PM
The director has stated that he did not have to cut any violence to get an R rating, so there is no "Unrated" Footage. Also, when TriStar picked the movie up for distribution, they didn't make him change anything in the film from the way it already was....so basically, this DVD is the Director's Cut. I think people are just used to getting offered "Unrated" DVD's with every single horror film that comes out, so when it finally doesn't happen for one, they assume they're missing out on something.

But no, this appears to be the directors version with all violence and scenes intact.

cerial442
08-15-06, 01:13 PM
Plus the one bonus feature it has, is an hour long documentary.

chucks888
08-15-06, 02:38 PM
My gosh, I just have to chime in and say how horried the covers are for both R1 and R2.

Just. Truly truly terrible. It's like the studio heads have zero ounce of restraint.

Btw, I thought the film was quite good. It just gets a bad rep unfortunately. Put it this way, for the people who haven't seen, but are curious: it is HEADS AND SHOULDERS above Resident Evil (any of them), Uwe Boll videogame movies (ALL of them), etc etc. Haven't seen Doom, but that probably fits into that category as well.

Seantn
08-15-06, 05:54 PM
Doom sucked, Silent Hill was miles better than other video game movies.

puddytay
08-15-06, 07:02 PM
Seantn

This is not the uncut version. The original workprint was over 4hrs long. There were re shoots to trim down the time. Which is why the diaglogue is so terrible. I expect there to be another release of this movie with at least another hour of footage.

Wick
08-15-06, 07:44 PM
I think I might just wait for this to drop in price. I didn't think it was that great.

Joe Molotov
08-15-06, 10:48 PM
Seantn

This is not the uncut version. The original workprint was over 4hrs long. There were re shoots to trim down the time. Which is why the diaglogue is so terrible. I expect there to be another release of this movie with at least another hour of footage.

Workprints contain a lot of footage that is never intended to be in the movie. Christophe Gans has already went on record as saying he got everything he wanted into the movie, so while there may be unused footage out there, that doesn't mean that the movie has been cut.

http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/silenthill/productiondiary/index.php
I have read that Silent Hill fans are worried that I have not been able to make the film that I wanted to make due to restrictions imposed by MPAA and the studio. Just to clarify that the film you will see is the Directors cut and has not been compromised in length or content. Throughout the entire process of making Silent Hill, I have been overwhelmed by the generosity and trust extended to me by the team at TriStar Pictures. It is very exciting to work with people who are as concerned and respectful about successfully depicting the world of Silent Hill as I am.

The only person who is disappointed that it is my cut is the guy doing the DVD.

gryffinmaster
08-15-06, 10:53 PM
Workprints contain a lot of footage that is never intended to be in the movie. Christophe Gans has already went on record as saying he got everything he wanted into the movie, so while there may be unused footage out there, that doesn't mean that the movie has been cut.
And, of course, Sony doesn't like to release "extended" cuts with relatively insignificant material. Ever.

Alright, now I'm fully considering the plunge into this release (hopefully being led to a location with some kind of spiffy extras (special slipcover/bonus disc from a B&M would be sweet). Does anyone think that an actual special edition will be made of this film - or was the box office and interest not quite high enough to merit this?

Joe Molotov
08-15-06, 10:58 PM
And, of course, Sony doesn't like to release "extended" cuts with relatively insignificant material. Ever.

That doesn't make this version of the movie any less "Uncut". If any thing, they could just make it worse by adding stuff in.

gryffinmaster
08-15-06, 11:28 PM
That doesn't make this version of the movie any less "Uncut". If any thing, they could just make it worse by adding stuff in.
Precisely. ;)

It's like adding a few 2s and 3s into a full deck of playing cards. Yeah, they're there, you might notice them, but meh ... you don't really care and could do without them.

dolphinboy
08-17-06, 10:03 PM
This is the toughest blind buy decision for me in over a year.

I like Radha Mitchell and scary movies and the reviews are, literally, all over the place.

The only agreement is that the movie looks great. But there doesn't appear to be a plot, some say you don't get to care about the characters, and then why care what happens to then?

Some same you do need to know the game to really enjoy it , others say it only helps.

Some say it's scary, some says the entire movie is without a cohesive story with people walking around and just repeating things they are seeing in the game/movie.

This will come down to a last minute decision. I wish there was something out there to sway me one way or another.

Gunde
08-18-06, 12:40 AM
I don't get those saying there's no plot!?
I thought there was a damn good one....

Joe Molotov
08-18-06, 12:55 AM
Why stress out about it when you could just rent it? I really liked it, but I guess it's not for everyone.

dolphinboy
08-18-06, 02:45 AM
I don't get those saying there's no plot!?
I thought there was a damn good one....

For people who play the game?

cerial442
08-18-06, 07:31 AM
I never played any of the games, and I was able to follow what was going on.

gryffinmaster
08-18-06, 07:48 AM
This is the toughest blind buy decision for me in over a year.
Nah, it shouldn't be. Just rent it first, because it really isn't everyone's cup of tea. It's sporting around a 6.6 on IMDB, yet the critics laced it with around a 26-27% at RT, so it's one that's obviously not applicable to everyone's taste. I enjoyed it a lot for the art design, the creep-out factor (no real scream factor), and the primary villain's power, even though it didn't get a load of screentime.

And that's from someone who hadn't played the games before. I enjoyed the flick so much that I went back and played Silent Hill 2 and 4.

dolphinboy
08-18-06, 10:15 AM
I never played any of the games, and I was able to follow what was going on.

but did you like it or are you another who liked the art design and the way the movie was shot, but didn't mind that it didn't really have a real plot. but really enjoyed the movie's atmosphere, which seems to be all i read about in the positive reviews.

Josh Z
08-18-06, 04:27 PM
I like Radha Mitchell and scary movies and the reviews are, literally, all over the place.

Case in point:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=23220

and

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=23302

I guess it all comes down to what you're looking for in it, and how much you importance you weigh the scary parts of the movie (which are done really well) against the story and plot (which are not).

ShinMusashi44
08-19-06, 02:18 PM
I watched this last night(i work in a movie store) ans thought it was a million times better than RE. The only thing i wish they would have done was have some more scenes where the city "changes" to the nightmare version. But pretty much good all around. Maybe flesh out the ending some more too.

*Has a small spoiler*

After watching the Doc there is a scene they show thats not in the movie. So there should have to be deleted scenes out there. The scene is of one of those armless monsters shooting black stuff at the girl that later gets her skin ripped off. The scene looks like it takes place right before they go into the church while they're running down the street. It just shows it for a few seconds but im sure thats where the cop uses all her bullets too. Cause early she says she has a full clip left then when shes in the church she only has one bullet left. So she had to use up those other bullets somewhere. Im sure theres more deleted scenes out there and hope there is an EE sometime down the road.

VicVegaMRBLOND
08-20-06, 07:04 AM
Circuit City exclusive - 48 page Silent Hill comic book

Best Buy EXCLUSIVE BONUS DISC**
Includes:
The Silent Hill Experience trailer
Silent Hill: Origins trailer
The Making of The Silent Hill Experience featurette

surfingelectrod
08-20-06, 01:03 PM
That bonus disc sucks... There's nothing movie-related on it, just advertising for new two games.

I'll be buying from Circuit City.

Wick
08-20-06, 01:34 PM
That it does. If I lived in the States, I'd probably get the Circuit City exclusive comic book. However, since I live in Canada...I'll probably just wait until this is previously viewed. It's a mediocre film.

gryffinmaster
08-20-06, 03:40 PM
Well damn. I was hoping that if BB did a supplemental disc it would be better than frisbee material. :(

Might just wait 'til it's pre-owned as well. Bummer.

cerial442
08-20-06, 09:24 PM
but did you like it or are you another who liked the art design and the way the movie was shot, but didn't mind that it didn't really have a real plot. but really enjoyed the movie's atmosphere, which seems to be all i read about in the positive reviews.

I liked the film itself. If you want everything spelled out for you, you won't like this film. The way it was shot didn't really stand out for me.

The only thing I didn't like was the side story. If they would have stayed in the town the whole time I would have liked the film more.

Don't blind buy this movie, rent it first.

gryffinmaster
08-21-06, 08:10 AM
Hmm ... well, since it sounds like BB is sticking strictly to Silent Hill VG previews, any word on whether Wal-Mart will package a separate bonus disc? From what I heard, the recent Matador supplemental was decent that came packaged with it.

JarJarBinks
08-21-06, 09:40 AM
Hmm ... well, since it sounds like BB is sticking strictly to Silent Hill VG previews, any word on whether Wal-Mart will package a separate bonus disc? From what I heard, the recent Matador supplemental was decent that came packaged with it.
Wal-Mart exclusive is just Silent Hill packed with the DE of Resident Evil.

http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/04/33/96/16/0004339616353_500X500.jpg

islandclaws
08-21-06, 01:55 PM
CC for me. I was excited BB had a bonus disc for about a second until I realized it was all game crap. A comic book should make a nice insert too, since I highly doubt we'll get anything other than an ad crammed in there.

DVDsAreMyLIFE
08-22-06, 11:08 PM
Anyone who picked this up notice the movie seemed dark in some parts, darker than the movie in theaters, some parts I could hardly see anything? Might just be my TV though.

marcellusk
08-22-06, 11:21 PM
got mine from walmart. Silent hill and resident evil for $13.87 isn't too bad.

Novasonic
08-23-06, 01:20 AM
wtf? it was like $19 something at my walmart for the 2 pack. you suck

Ralph Jenkins
08-23-06, 03:48 AM
My CC had a stack of full screen copies and no widescreen copies on Tuesday night. I'm not sure what happened. Maybe they sold out because of the exclusive comic book?

Novasonic
08-23-06, 04:03 AM
Probably. Either that or they have some new incompetent workers. Or maybe, finally the average joe is starting to catch on to OAR!!!

scottp120
08-23-06, 06:24 AM
Must be selling pretty good. I went to Circuit City yesterday and there were only 2 WS versions available and I picked up one of them. Not too bad of a movie, better than I thought it would be.

matome
08-23-06, 07:58 AM
The movie was decent for me. A bit long, but the creatures and atmosphere were awesome. The surround is amazing on this. When the Jeep crashes through the gate at the beginning I jumped, it was damn loud.

GIjon213
08-23-06, 08:21 AM
I loved this horror film, and I am wondering how this relates to the VG. I mean, even as a stand alone movie, the plot was not hard to follow, and I thought it was genuinely well done. The sets were great. And when thedemon absorbed itself into Rose I was really creeped out. Thoroughly enjoyable.

d2cheer
08-23-06, 12:02 PM
I loved this horror film, and I am wondering how this relates to the VG. I mean, even as a stand alone movie, the plot was not hard to follow, and I thought it was genuinely well done. The sets were great. And when thedemon absorbed itself into Rose I was really creeped out. Thoroughly enjoyable.

Exactly the way I felt about it, I am also wondering about the video game.

gutwrencher
08-23-06, 04:53 PM
When the Jeep crashes through the gate at the beginning I jumped, it was damn loud.

Same here...that scene and the sound lifted me right off my seat!

I was addicted to the VG and it even had given me nightmares. I think that most of the acting in this is far from thrilling, but as with the game, the atmosphere is almost right on the $. I could have lived without some of the CGI shots. Real make-up effects would have worked better, as always.

surfingelectrod
08-23-06, 05:27 PM
None of the creatures in the movie are CGI. The only CGI elements are the bugs that follow Pyramidhead around and some of the ash in the town.

Josh Z
08-23-06, 06:46 PM
None of the creatures in the movie are CGI. The only CGI elements are the bugs that follow Pyramidhead around and some of the ash in the town.

Those ghoulies made of burning cinder that swarm over the lead chick in the bowling alley sure looked like CGI.

surfingelectrod
08-23-06, 08:06 PM
Forgot all about them. I haven't had the chance to rewatch the movie since I saw it in the theater, but I know that the straightjacket monster, janitor, Pyramidhead, and nurses were all real.

rainking187
08-23-06, 08:21 PM
I was just wondering, if anyone here reads the Silent Hill comics, does the Circuit City one have any new exclusive content? Also, did anyone else norice any glitches in the movie? I rented it yesterday, and saw a few problems, including one part where it slowed down for a second then just jumped forwards.

ShinMusashi44
08-23-06, 09:39 PM
Those ghoulies made of burning cinder that swarm over the lead chick in the bowling alley sure looked like CGI.

I think the ghoulies were all played by 1 asian lady. They just used computers to make a bunch of them and add in the burning cinder on them.

gerrythedon
08-23-06, 11:00 PM
Also, did anyone else norice any glitches in the movie? I rented it yesterday, and saw a few problems, including one part where it slowed down for a second then just jumped forwards.

only problem with my disc is that it took like 4 seconds for the movie to start. The timer skiped back and forth... But the movie played fine after that.

Saw this twice in the Theater and still loved it watching it at home. My second best movie of the year. As mentioned above the 5.1 sorround sound is great.

dullboy
08-24-06, 09:30 AM
Take a look at the end credits. There was a different CG house used for almost every effects scene. The creatures may have been real people in costumes, but I'm sure they were heavily altered digitally.

gutwrencher
08-24-06, 03:12 PM
Take a look at the end credits. There was a different CG house used for almost every effects scene. The creatures may have been real people in costumes, but I'm sure they were heavily altered digitally.

Much of the CGI work was done in post-production...you are correct. In my post, I was not saying that a ton of CGI creatures were in the film....I always just make a point that I do not like CGI effects when it comes to creatures and such. Atmosphere is one thing...monsters are something else. Remember most of the visual from the remake of The Thing? Thats how it needs to look to be perfect in my book. I can say the same for most of my older, fave horror films.

I thought the effects and creature costumes were wonderful in Silent Hill...very sexy. But I've been around long enough to notice every single CGI detail and some are needed...some are not. I thought the approach of the first cynder kid was well done. Having herky-jerkey movement when 500 on are on screen is something else. CGI movement is just about always herky-jerkey when it comes to movement, which in my opinion....looks like shit and sucks the reality right out of it. I would have toned down the number of cynder brats to about 20 to 50 and then put 20 to 50 extras in suits. Cost more $ for extras and extra suits? Tough shit and big deal.

Again, this is only my opinion. Bottom line for me, except for atmosphere, CGI sucks.

Also, a big :thumbsup: for the sexy nurses scene....very well done...but way to fast-and-over-with. I needed a nurse to pop up here and there throughout the film and time spent in the hospital was way to short.

I broke out my old game last night....damn, now thats the way it's done!

Seantn
08-24-06, 03:14 PM
Much of the CGI work was done in post-production...you are correct.

Um...i'm guessing that ALL the CGI work was done in post-production ;)

Unless they brought computer generated effects to life on the actual set while filming.

gutwrencher
08-24-06, 03:22 PM
Um...i'm guessing that ALL the CGI work was done in post-production ;)

Unless they brought computer generated effects to life on the actual set while filming.

That didn't come out right....but you all know what I'm trying to say. I re-read my post and saw that and wondered how long it would take for someone to chime in. Christ...didn't take but a few minutes.:p

Seantn
08-24-06, 03:24 PM
No problem, I knew exactly what you meant, just having some fun ;)

gutwrencher
08-24-06, 03:25 PM
No problem, I knew exactly what you meant, just having some fun ;)

:thumbsup:

:D

TomOpus
08-24-06, 07:05 PM
After reading so many favorable reviews, I'll have to pick it up.

Richard Malloy
08-25-06, 08:09 AM
After reading so many favorable reviews, I'll have to pick it up.
Never underestimate the bad taste of the American public.

RichC2
08-25-06, 08:17 AM
Silent Hill is a glorious mess of a movie, it has some fantastic imagery and ideas (and a certain eerie scene based off concept alone) but is not a good movie. The plot is pretty trite, the acting is stiff, the dialogue is corny, and the concluding 20 minutes are downright stupid. That said, it's certainly worth a watch and the DVD is quite nice. Great cinematography and set design with a terrific atmosphere.

After all the complaints with The Descent not "explaining enough", I can see why filmmakers strive to spell everything out (I never understood why, and now that I do, I still don't see eye to eye about it), but it really does hurt movies a lot, and Silent Hill is a prime example.

But ah well, it's a movie worth seeing once, but not sure I'm supportive of the blind buy.

Zodiac_Speaking
08-25-06, 11:53 AM
I liked the movie, but I understand it as flaws. but it was a fun tale with a great transfer.

d2cheer
08-25-06, 11:55 AM
I liked the movie, but I understand it as flaws. but it was a fun tale with a great transfer.

And amazing sound!!

dullboy
08-25-06, 12:25 PM
I thought the transfer was severly lacking in the deep black department. Considering alot of this movie takes place in dark areas, there should've been deeper, truer black levels. Instead you get gray graininess.

onebyone
08-25-06, 01:29 PM
And amazing sound!!

Agreed. It sounded better at casa onebyone than it did in the theater. It really gave the film a little extra something. I really enjoyed it last night.

Wick
08-25-06, 05:37 PM
I was surprised to see that we got different artwork, here in Canada. I like it a lot better than the American artwork.

TomOpus
08-25-06, 08:44 PM
Never underestimate the bad taste of the American public.I have a hard enough time underestimating my own bad taste :D

Josh Z
08-25-06, 11:06 PM
I was surprised to see that we got different artwork, here in Canada. I like it a lot better than the American artwork.

You're not kidding. That's way better.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000GJ0KN2.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V59937892_.jpg

Seantn
08-26-06, 12:28 PM
Does the Canadian version have the same features?

kvrdave
08-26-06, 03:36 PM
I was let down, but I may have been expecting too much. And as much as I am a proponent of OAR, I could have gone without it on this one. I'm watching on a 122" 16x9 projector and even then about 40% of the screen was taken up with bars. What was the aspect ration on this one? 45:2?

Good suspense, though. Great feel.

Josh Z
08-26-06, 05:19 PM
And as much as I am a proponent of OAR, I could have gone without it on this one. I'm watching on a 122" 16x9 projector and even then about 40% of the screen was taken up with bars. What was the aspect ration on this one? 45:2?

You need to fix your player and projector settings. The movie is 2.35:1, exactly the same as hundreds of other 2.35:1 movies. If 40% of your screen is letterbox bars, you've misconfigured something.

Wick
08-26-06, 05:58 PM
Does the Canadian version have the same features?

I'm not sure. I'll try to find out.

kvrdave
08-27-06, 12:20 AM
You need to fix your player and projector settings. The movie is 2.35:1, exactly the same as hundreds of other 2.35:1 movies. If 40% of your screen is letterbox bars, you've misconfigured something.

I thought the same, but my projector is set correctly. I'll check my player. But I've watched many movies of many aspects and never had anything that amounted to what this was. I was blown away. Are you sure it wasn't 23.5:1? That would have been closer to what I saw.

Josh Z
08-27-06, 08:58 AM
I thought the same, but my projector is set correctly. I'll check my player. But I've watched many movies of many aspects and never had anything that amounted to what this was. I was blown away. Are you sure it wasn't 23.5:1? That would have been closer to what I saw.

Here's a screen cap.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/images/reviews/133/1155523177.jpg

It sounds like you've reset your DVD player for "4:3 Letterbox" mode but the projector for "16:9". Did you not notice everything looking stretched?

kvrdave
08-28-06, 12:46 AM
Huh, that must be it. I wonder if one of my boys hit a remote as my other movies of the same aspect were all fine. I didn't notice anything looking stretched, but this was a 2 am flick, so I am sometimes a little groggy.

scarredgod
12-18-06, 07:24 PM
Silent Hill next week at CC for 9.99.

before i buy it, is there any new rumblings at all about a newer DVD of this coming out.