Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Stills New Album - Without Feathers - May 9th

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-06, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

So I was a bit of a fan of most of The Stills last album (Logic Will Break Your Heart) and I see they have a new one due on May 9th, in 3 days. Anyone heard anything from this yet? It's supposed to sound very different than Logic.

They have a couple tracks up on My Space:

http://www.myspace.com/thestills
Old 05-06-06, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts
I really enjoyed Logic Will Break Your Heart and Without Feathers has been on my radar for a while. The songs on MySpace sound promising and I'll definitely be picking up the album Tuesday, along with the new ones from Snow Patrol and Grandaddy.
Old 05-09-06, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
I just listened to most of the 30 second clips of the album on Itunes. I don't know. Doesn't sound at all like the same band that did Logic. The songs sound boring. I'm not sure I will shell out the cash to buy this. Anyone pick this up today?
Old 05-09-06, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts
I picked it up and listened to it once through on my lunch. There is definitely a significant difference between this and Logic as far as style. Despite that, I have a pretty positive initial impression and expect to enjoy it quite a bit. I'm usually not a huge fan of Pitchfork's reviews and, based solely on first impressions, I'd probably give it more around a 7.5 instead of a 6.7, but otherwise I agree with their assessment of the album:

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record...feathers.shtml
Old 05-09-06, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bought Logic
will not be buying this one
Old 05-10-06, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah yes, the grumbles of sophomore releases...The cd is very good. No jangly, reverb twitching guitars on this cd? No. Lots of organ instead. Very coehesive, very comfortable sounding cd. Yes, I miss the dark atmosphere of 'Logic', but this album is composed of some beautiful melodies and instrumentation---very laid back mid-tempo. That and Dave Hamelin doesn't sound much different from Tim Fletcher.
Old 05-10-06, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After a first few listens through, I've sadly got to say that I'm very dissapointed in Without Feathers.

The fact that this album was released with almost zero fanfare or advance notice should have triggered some kind warning sign with me - but I was just so happy that they finally had a follow up coming out, that I bought it blindly, willing to give it the benefit of the doubt. Now I'm left wondering what the hell happened. Three years, and this is the best they could come up with?

Maybe it's my own fault for expecting more from the band - especially after the fantastic debut of Logic Will Break Your Heart - but so far this album is doing nothing for me. It's all very laid back, far too middle of the road and same sounding, and there's nothing here at all as catchy or as memorable as "Still In Love Song", "Lola Stars And Stripes" or "Love And Death" from the debut. You could certainly say this album definitely lacks anything remotely resembling a single. About the only thing that even comes close is "Baby Blues" - and even that may be because it features harmony vocals from Emily Haines (of Metric and Broken Social Scene).

Who knows, maybe repeated listens will change my opinion. I really hope so. But as of now, this is going down as my biggest letdown of the year.

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 05-10-06 at 09:52 PM.