Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Onkyo S580 vs. S780 HTiB Advice Needed

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-06, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Through the advice of my fellow DVDTalkers, I have decided to go with Onkyo for my HTiB. Unfortunately, I'm still new to this thing, and require more advice. Now here comes the big decision... I am moving into an apartment with neighbors directly above and below me, so I can't blast my home theater system.

Still, I'd like to get a good HT system. I have multiple electronics that I would like to connect to the system (xbox 360, ps2, dvd player, tivo, and possibly a VCR). I have narrowed down my search to the following two Onkyo HTiBs.

HT-S580 5.1 System
http://shoponkyo.com/detail.cfm?prod...il=1&ext_war=1

HT-S780 7.1 System
http://shoponkyo.com/detail.cfm?prod..._id=1&detail=2

There is a $149 difference in price, but I'd like to get the best bang for my buck. It looks like both systems have 5 inputs/2 output terminals, and similar sound quality. Can anybody give me their opinions/experiences on one system vs. the other? I'm leaning towards the S780, but feel that it may be too excessive for an apartment. Any help would be terrific!

[email protected]
Old 03-25-06, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the Onkyo system that was replaced by the HT-S780 (can't remember the number but it is a 6.1 system) and love the product. It is sort of hard to recommend one system over the other for a number of reasons. Do you plan on upgrading the system when the newer media (HD-DVD or BR) takes off? If so then save your money and get the cheaper system because in the price of the Onkyo you are paying mostly for the receiver, although the speakers are pretty good.

On the other hand if you plan on keeping this for a few years and if you can afford the more expensive HT-S780 system then I would recommend getting it because the 7.1 system sort of future proofs you for more 7.1 movies. Also being in an apartment keep in mind that it is not always about how loud the system is but the quality of sound coming out. Like I mentioned earlier I have been extremely impressed with the quality of the system for the money you pay. Also, does your room allow the proper placement of all the extra speakers? If not then get the cheaper system since the 7.1 can't be properly setup.

On a side note, I am planning on replacing my center channel with a better brand when I get the money because it seems a little weak compared to the other speakers. I don't know if the HT-S780 has a better center. As you know the center handles most all the voices and sometimes I have a hard time hearing dialogue, although the sound and dialogue is still so much better than the tv speakers!