Search this Thread

Old 03-20-06, 12:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Xbox handheld is in development, claims author of Xbox book

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=15487

Xbox handheld is in development, claims author of Xbox book
Ellie Gibson 15:35 20/03/2006

J Allard said to be heading up new project

Microsoft's J Allard is currently working on a new project to develop the company's first handheld console, according to Dean Takahashi, the author of a forthcoming book about the launch of the Xbox 360.

In an article for the San Jose Mercury, Takashi claims that "sources familiar with the project" have revealed that the new device will allow users to watch movies and listen to music as well as play games. Unlike the recently announced Origami tablet PC, the handheld's focus will be solely to deliver entertainment.

Takahasi said that Xbox executive J Allard is heading up the project together with Greg Gibson, who was system designer for the Xbox 360. Finance chief Bryan Lee will oversee the business side.

Takahashi also claimed that chip manufacturer Transmeta has already assigned 30 engineers to work on a "secret project" with Microsoft, and that Transmeta has experience of reducing chip power so that they can be used in handheld machines without causing too much of a drain on battery life.

Apparently Microsoft also intends to set up an iTunes-style digital music distribution service, codenamed Alexandria, and is currently considering its options with regard to music technology.

According to Takahashi's sources, the new handheld will not appear on shelves for at least a year, and possibly two, since those working on the project have only been free to devote their time since they finished work on the Xbox 360 in the autumn of last year.

Takashi is known to have high profile contacts within Microsoft - he published a book chronicling the story of the original Xbox in 2002, titled Opening the Xbox, and a similar book about the Xbox 360 is slated for publication later this year.

Microsoft has yet to comment on Takahashi's claims. However, in comments made earlier this year, Xbox boss Peter Moore hinted that the company might consider developing a multimedia handheld - adding that any such device "can't just be our version of the iPod."

This is a followup to this thread which was banished to Tech Talk.

Chris
Old 03-20-06, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmmm, has potential but really Do we need another handheld to play movies (unless it's dvds, but then the thing will be huge), and games?

I don't know, I still think the GB series of handhelds are the best of the bunch because they play games first and foremost.

But then again, I swore that I'd never support MSFT in the home console world when they announced the first Xbox, yet here I am with both Xboxs and loving them.
Old 03-20-06, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Even though I'm a fan of Microsoft, I think they may be spreading themselves a bit too thin with the possibility of a handheld. I would like to see them gain more of a market share in the console business before they attempt to go into handhelds.
Old 03-20-06, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it played DVD's and had decent battery life, I would buy it on day one.
Old 03-20-06, 04:29 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Does anyone else think it's weird that they're doing a book on the Xbox 360 launch??
Old 03-21-06, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

A Transmetta processor will bring this an early grave.
Old 03-21-06, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts
Gawd i wish this handheld obsession would end.
Old 03-21-06, 12:52 PM
Suspended

...Yet another handheld that I would not buy.
Old 03-21-06, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
They are not making a handheld for gaming. End of story. They are possibly working on a music player to compete with the ipod, but they aren't going to go into the handheld gaming market - not at this point. No chance.
Old 03-21-06, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trigger
They are not making a handheld for gaming. End of story. They are possibly working on a music player to compete with the ipod, but they aren't going to go into the handheld gaming market - not at this point. No chance.
Okay. Why?
Old 03-21-06, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have learned to never trust someone that quotes themselves on their own signatures.

And would you happen to have any sources that give you the authority to say "end of story" on this rumor? Not that I would argue, but you seem so sure.
Old 03-21-06, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They are focused on the 360 right now... they just don't have the resources. My insider source has told me many times that this won't ever happen and that it's been talked about... I'll ask again though if you want. Years ago they considered a partnership with samsung on such a project, but that zygote of an idea dissolved quickly. They watched (and are watching) Sony's entry into the market that is owned by nintendo and nothing so far has given them any idea that they should give it a shot. It goes against their vision and grand scope. If somehow they could make something that would work with the 360 so that it was still the central piece of hardware and it just got more users to their console they would do it - that's where the digital media player might come in, but handheld gaming system isn't in the cards as of now.
Old 03-21-06, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They are focused on the 360 right now... they just don't have the resources.
Gates could float the entire project many, many times over all by himself if he was so inclined. Now if you're talking about capable design/engineering personnel, that's another matter. I still don't think that would stop MS from throwing something on the market just to have it out there, though.

If somehow they could make something that would work with the 360 so that it was still the central piece of hardware and it just got more users to their console they would do it - that's where the digital media player might come in, but handheld gaming system isn't in the cards as of now.
I think you've already answered your own question, so to speak. It isn't just an XBoy, it's an XBoy + Portable Windows Media Center + WiFi/Live device. It's just as much about heading off the iPod and making inroads in the portable media player world as it is a response Nintendo or Sony. The games aspect is a proxy for larger goals.
Old 03-23-06, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Would you like to rethink that statement?

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/new...her-portables/
Old 03-24-06, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mikael79
Would you like to rethink that statement?

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/new...her-portables/
Article backs up what I said. If the device has gaming, it'll be an afterthought. They're going after ipod primarily. Otherwise they would've mentioned gameboy and psp as their focus. You'll see. If I'm wrong, I'll be wrong - I don't care.