Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

What is the name of this movie?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-06, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the name of this movie?

What is the name of this movie? I saw it in high school in the very late 70's or the very early 80's, it was a trilogy and the one story in it that I remember most was about a woman's husband who had just been killed in a car wreck, and she is telling friends that she wished he was still alive, her friend then tells her to be careful what she wishes for because she had heard about other wishing for dead loved ones to return from the dead and they did in the mangled bodies from the injuries of their deaths, so she changes her wish that he was alive without any of his injuries that killed him. Then somehow there is a knock at the door and who is it, none other than her formerly dead husband, only he is in a great deal of pain because he has already been enbalmed!

I have been trying to find out the name of this movie for years so I can try to find it on DVD to buy it.

If you have any idea please email me at the e-mail address below.
Thanks.

(edited only to change email notification options)

Last edited by TheMrWilk; 02-13-06 at 06:26 PM.
Old 02-13-06, 06:36 PM

Rather than e-mail, I'll share this with everybody in case they want to know. That story was "Wish You Were Here" from the 1972 Amicus production of "Tales from the Crypt." It featured four other stories, and was followed by "The Vault of Horror" with five other stories the next year. It was out by Fox on VHS, but is no longer in print. It is supposedly coming to DVD in Region 2 around June, along with the sequel.
Old 02-13-06, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I accepted this challenge, and the closest I could find was this:

"Wish You Were Here" is a variation on W. W. Jacobs' famed short story "The Monkey's Paw." Businessman Ralph Jason (Richard Green) is close to financial ruin. His wife Enid (Barbara Murray) discovers a Chinese figurine and wishes for a fortune. Ralph is killed on the way to collect it. She uses her second wish to bring him back to the way he was just before the accident but learns that his death was due to a heart attack. When she once again wishes for him to be brought back to life, she finds she has trapped him in eternal pain because his body had been embalmed.

Text from Wikipedia (full content here).

Movie is Tales from the Crypt (1972), which consisted of five segments, of which "Wish You Were Here" was one. No DVD is available right now, but apparently, 20th Century Fox is releasing one in London around May/June this year.

--THX
Old 02-13-06, 08:36 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Please post the same thread in only one forum.

Your post of this in Movie Talk was the correct place for this inquiry.