DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Buffy, are there any spoilers in the menus?

Old 12-08-05, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Buffy, are there any spoilers in the menus?

I would guess that there would be spoilers in the extras and comentaries. But i was wondering if there are any spoilers in the menus? And do any of the seasons have a play all feature?
I don't know any of the major plot points (well except for
Spoiler:
buffy dying in season 5 i think and coming back to life in season 6, because that is the season they moved from wb to upn
Old 12-08-05, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The cover for season 6 is itself a spoiler.

One of my nitpicks is that some menu screens reveal when certain characters are returning/popping up for their one episode of the year.
Old 12-08-05, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Spoilers in the menus, spoilers for future seasons in the commentaries and featurettes, spoilers on the packaging (not in the "Chosen Collection", though), spoilers everywhere. These discs are rife with spoilers all over the place.

If you want to avoid spoilers, try not to look at the packaging or the menus screens too closely and don't watch or listen to any of the supplements until you're done with the entire series and all of Angel as well.
Old 12-08-05, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

One spoiler you need to be on the lookout for is for the episode "Angel," on the second disc of the first season.

If don't already know what Angel's "shocking secret" is, then hit the mute button during the menu screen until the episode begins playing. There's a somewhat revealing line of dialogue there.
Old 12-09-05, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

JoshZ is right. Spoilers about EVERYWHERE. Not fun for those of us who only have seen Buffy on DVD.
Old 12-09-05, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

are there any "play all" seasons, or do i have to worry about the big ass spoilers everywhere.
Old 12-09-05, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
are there any "play all" seasons, or do i have to worry about the big ass spoilers everywhere.
There is no "play all" option. In fact S2 is quite annoying in the menus as you have to go through all those computerized transitions in the "cemetary" to get to each episode. I wouldn't think anything in the menus specifically is a spoiler (barring the "special guest" on each episode's play menu). They just seem like spoilers once you have seen the episode... otherwise, I just was like "huh... okay". Ignorance is bliss, just jump right in!
Old 12-09-05, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Spoilers in the menus, spoilers for future seasons in the commentaries and featurettes, spoilers on the packaging (not in the "Chosen Collection", though), spoilers everywhere. These discs are rife with spoilers all over the place.

If you want to avoid spoilers, try not to look at the packaging or the menus screens too closely and don't watch or listen to any of the supplements until you're done with the entire series and all of Angel as well.
I couldn't have said it better. It did ruin some of the experience for me.
Old 12-09-05, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My wife watched all the DVD episodes as I bought them. She never saw the tv series as it first aired. Everytime one of the characters popped up on the menu screens, she was like "Oh, so that person is a demon." Or, "Oh, I guess that person will have something bad happen to them." She was able to figure out the big surprises before they happened because of the menu screens. It became a big joke after awhile.
Old 12-12-05, 08:28 AM

Interesting thread! I fell victim to a few spoilers after purchasing The Chosen collection from DDD.

I'll admit it - I had previously only seen about 2 episodes of Buffy, but I was confident I would really enjoy the set and during the DDD 20% off sale, I just couldn't say "no."

So, I'm working my way through Season 1, Disc 1. First off, they way the episode selection was set up on the menu was confusing... is episode 2 underneath episode 1 or to the right of it?? I guessed based on the title and with the episode recap, I discovered I had made the right decision.

So, I watch most of the first disc and I start investigating the special features. I fire up the interview on the FIRST episode thinking it's safe, it's episode 1. Boy, was I wrong! The Dude who plays Angel shows up and starts telling me all about his character. Spolier City, so I promptly shut that off!
Old 12-12-05, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, the Buffy menus are definitely not set up well... as freudian-slip mentions, the episode order is confusing. Any interface where the user has to hesitate like that should probably be redesigned.

And, yes, there are spoilers everywhere. I can understand spoilers in the supplements (at least for the particular season you're watching)... but the menu graphics often show an image that 'spoils' that particular episode -- whether it's showing the surprise guest star, what the bad guy looks like, or whatever.

It's a great set (especially with the new "Chosen Collection" packaging), but the setup isn't very friendly to virgin viewers. Proceed with caution.
Old 12-12-05, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There are also spoilers for future seasons in the extras. Avoid the interviews and commentaries until you've watched through whatever season they were working on when they were recorded.

Have fun watching for the first time! You're in for a great ride.
Old 12-12-05, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

well at least on the back of the dvd package for each season (chosen collection only) it has a listing of hte episodes and the order. regarding watching angel, is it necessary to watch the "crossover" episodes to understand the story fully
Old 12-12-05, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

regarding watching angel, is it necessary to watch the "crossover" episodes to understand the story fully
Angel S1 coincides with Buffy S4. Attempting to watch alternating episodes of each involves a lot of disc swapping and is generally a big pain in the ass for little payoff. You don't really need to do it that way to follow the story. Both shows are well-written enough to be self-sufficient. I recommend watching a full season of Buffy followed by a full season of Angel.
Old 12-12-05, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kitkat
There are also spoilers for future seasons in the extras. Avoid the interviews and commentaries until you've watched through whatever season they were working on when they were recorded.
Marti Noxon's commentaries are the worst for this. She drops giant spoiler bombs for things that happen 2 or 3 seasons ahead of what you're watching in almost every one of her commentaries.
Old 12-12-05, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, the worst is that the order of the episodes on seasons alternate depending on the DVD season. For example, usually they'll be in the corners. But for one season at least you have to go down instead of to the right. Definitely check the episode guide when in doubt.
Old 12-12-05, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Generally, the idea is that you have already seen the show before buying the DVD sets, so extras and packaging are not filled with spoilers, but stuff you already know...

I guess you should never underestimate the power of word-of-mouth advertising- someone says 'check this show out', and it ends up a blind-buy must, or a blind-rental must.

Well, that's my little guess as to why there are spoilers everywhere throughout TV DVDs.
Old 12-12-05, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You're probably right... but I think everyone is underestimating the number of "blind buys" on DVD sets. And then there's the obvious fact that places also *rent* these discs... presumably to first-time viewers.
Old 12-13-05, 01:39 AM

I don't know how it is in U.S. video stores, but in all the stores I've seen, pretty much the big titles (All CSI shows, Sopranos, O.C., Chappelle's Show, Sex In The City, Seinfeld) are easy to rent all seasons of, while a show like Buffy is at times limited to just the odd season, like seasons 3 and 4, but not the remaining ones.
Old 12-13-05, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The menus are very confusing on Buffy (hell, on Angel sometimes too). We frequently watched eps out of order due to it, often to our confusion.
Old 12-14-05, 03:49 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Angel S1 coincides with Buffy S4. Attempting to watch alternating episodes of each involves a lot of disc swapping and is generally a big pain in the ass for little payoff. You don't really need to do it that way to follow the story. Both shows are well-written enough to be self-sufficient. I recommend watching a full season of Buffy followed by a full season of Angel.
No way, they're way more fun to watch alternating between Buffy and Angel. We actually waited to watch them until the correspoinding season came out. (The Buffy and Angel release dates were a bit out of sync...)

Pick up a multi-disc player, and it's a piece of cake. We got one at Costco for like $99. You can memorize the position of the dvd, so you don't have to keep track of which episode is next, and you can skip all the scary FBI warnings, and FOX logos.
Old 12-15-05, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i watched the 3rd episode of the series named "witch" and to my surprise when i finished the episode, the final shot is in the menu.
are the "audio" lines in the menus only on season 1? Surprised and glad that there are no "previously on" on this dvd (or at least the first season) god i hate those, i just watched the episode, do i really need to watch a recap of something i just watched.
Old 12-15-05, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Surprised and glad that there are no "previously on" on this dvd (or at least the first season) god i hate those, i just watched the episode, do i really need to watch a recap of something i just watched.
You'll wish that you had the "Previously on"s for Seasons 5 and 7, both of which have episodes where that teaser is an important part of the episode, and neither of which is present on the R1 DVDs.
Old 12-15-05, 08:00 PM

Surprised and glad that there are no "previously on" on this dvd (or at least the first season) god i hate those, i just watched the episode, do i really need to watch a recap of something i just watched.

That's the one aspect of the ANGEL / Buffy DVDs I absolutely HATE, and I know I'm not the only one.
Old 12-15-05, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I personally liked the "previously ons" and the tv spots for upcoming episodes would be a huge selling point for me if this series is ever rereleased. HBO puts "tv spots" on all there releases and I wish other companies would do the same. I spent almost 6 years look for the teaser the wb aired before "welcome to the hellmouth"

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.