Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Motorola HD-DVR Comcast box - No 5.1 sound?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-06, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, I've had my Comcast HD-DVR box for a while now, and I used to get 5.1 sound out of it, but now it just seems to come through as normal stereo. I know when 5.1 is active because my receiver lights up blue (Sony).

I mainly noticed this since I had a CableCard installed in my other TV and I get 5.1 through that.

I have an optical cable running from my HD box to my receiver. I get sound, and it sounds ok...but I would really like my 5.1. Is there a setting I'm missing???? Is it possible Comcast shut down 5.1 on the box...can they do that.

*EDIT*
I'll look to get my box info (product #). It appears to be a widespread problem, and they may just ahve to enable something. We'll see. I still wish I knew how to fix it though. I don't want to replace my box YET, since I have a bunch of shows on my DVR.

Last edited by DJ_Longfellow; 02-13-06 at 11:09 AM.
Old 02-13-06, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My box does that sometimes. Turn it off and then back on again and the 5.1 should coem back.
Old 02-13-06, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've unplugged and I think they said they would reset it via their computers at Comcast...still nothing. I check my settings on my receiver, and they were fine.

Maybe I'll turn off again.
Old 02-13-06, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try checking the Settings in the DVR Menu screens. On my Moto HD-DVR there is a setting for audio which allows you to set a default to either Mono-Stereo-Matrix.
Old 02-14-06, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, I turned off my box and turned it back on last night and it works again. So, maybe when Comcast "hit" the box, it fixed something but I just had to flip on and off. I've read that OnDemand can mess with it too. Oh well...back to normal.