Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'The Man'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-06, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Don Houston's DVD review of The Man at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=19817 and...you're forgetting that it's just a comedy, it's not supposed to be rocket science. Who cares (you!) that the action is not plausible? That the jokes are recycled? That the potty humor is predictible? It's cleverly designed to make you laugh at silly sh*t and forget your own troubles. Your rather jaded eye got in the way of simple fun. It's a good movie just for fun. It's not going to win any awards and, agreed, the talents of the duo are not being fully utilized, but hey they aren't complaining about getting paid. I liked the main heavy too...he's a cutie....I wouldn't mind him roughin' me up. As for the more obvious potty humor...I've known a couple of guys with IBS and you either laugh at it/with it or you run screaming into the night. I doubt I'd want to own a copy per se, but it's worth renting just the same. You've got to be in the mood for silly though...you can't sit down and think 'now what would real people do (cops and sh*t)' or you're going to be dissappointed. Maybe it wasn't a 'guy' flic...maybe it was a no-brainer...I dunno...no one has ever accused me of being either a guy or brainy... :-) ..but I thought it was funny. I didn't even have to stop the DVD and take my own potty break and that's amazing!
Old 01-23-06, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
If the jokes are recycled and the potty humor is predictable, I would argue that it isn't cleaverly designed.

I don't think you should look at a movie like "The Man" with the same critical eye you would examine "Schindler's List," but just because a film isn't designed to win awards, doesn't mean you shouldn't point out that it isn't a good film.
Old 01-24-06, 04:49 PM
Emeritus Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by majorjoe23
If the jokes are recycled and the potty humor is predictable, I would argue that it isn't cleaverly designed.

I don't think you should look at a movie like "The Man" with the same critical eye you would examine "Schindler's List," but just because a film isn't designed to win awards, doesn't mean you shouldn't point out that it isn't a good film.
I tend to agree with your assessment. The limitations of the humor aside, there really wasn't much to like here (and I'm a fan of the two leads from the movie). I did comment that some people seem to like it but I doubt very much that such people read a whole lot.