Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Component Switch Box

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-05, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Component Switch Box

Does anyone know if there is (and if so, where to buy) a component switch box? I just bought some component cables off monprice.com and want to connect both my Comcast DVR cable box and my DVD player. Currently, I just have both those(and a PS2) hooked up into an S Video switch box. I've searched Radio Shack and a couple other sites for a Component switch box, but with no luck.
Old 12-20-05, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure how much you want to spend, but there are some good ones here: http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/c...-sw.html#yprpb

I'm assuming your receiver doesn't have video switching?
Old 12-20-05, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks!! The cheaper ones are only around $50, so what I might do is hookup my DVR and see if the HD channels really gain a lot of quality going from S Video to Component. (although, I technically don't have an HD TV, I have an Epson 4805 DLP projector which is great). Thanks again!
Old 12-20-05, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you don't mind a manual switch and don't need the audio connections, you can use an old A/V switch box for composite video and analog audio (yellow, red, white connections). That would be your cheapest route, and a mechanical switch should be just fine for component video.

The Audio Authority 1154 model at that link can be found cheaper elsewhere. Copperbox should still have them. This is one of the best ever component switches.
Old 12-20-05, 03:26 PM
Cool New Member

Look for the Pelican HD System Selector wherever they sell video games. The MSRP is only $25 and the reviews for it are pretty good.
Old 12-22-05, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by steen
Look for the Pelican HD System Selector wherever they sell video games. The MSRP is only $25 and the reviews for it are pretty good.
That's what I was using. It did quite an admirable job.

That was until I got my new job (at Sima...), and now I'm using a Sima VS-502 - which automatically senses what input is being used and switches automatically, and has a nice volume stabilizer built in.
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.proc...uct_Id=4049772

It can be found cheaper elsewhere (hint - i run the ebay store for Sima. LOL).
Old 12-23-05, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's an old thread that may be helpful:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=217873

I still have my JVC and it still works fine. It is not available at Etronics any more but is still available at some other stores (search for "JVC JX-S111" on Google).

Edit: Etronics has it back in stock.

Last edited by movielib; 01-29-06 at 11:21 AM.
Old 12-23-05, 01:49 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Spiky
If you don't mind a manual switch and don't need the audio connections, you can use an old A/V switch box for composite video and analog audio (yellow, red, white connections). That would be your cheapest route, and a mechanical switch should be just fine for component video.
A side note on this, the frequency in the yellow connector seems to be better than the red/white so if you have component cables hooked to a device that sync's on green you will get a better picture/response from this method if you hook the green cables to the yellow. Red and blue can go to either red or white. Just make sure all your cables attach to the same thing on the input as they do on the output
Old 01-27-06, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a Sony HDTV with 2 component inputs. I have a dvd player, hd box, and Xbox 360. So obviously, I need another input.

Are there any component switch boxes that does not have any loss of video quality? I need something....don't want to have to change out cables everytime I want to play the 360. In the old thread mentioned, there is a JVC box for about $70. Don't know anything about it. http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=jvcjxs111

This one looks good, but it's $180. http://www.digitalconnection.com/pro...ideo/1154a.asp

Will you get any loss in video quality using a switch box?

Last edited by Mr. Cinema; 01-27-06 at 07:59 PM.
Old 01-27-06, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by steen
Get what he said.
Old 01-28-06, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Pelican HD System Selector (PL970)

I believe this is it, at Circuit City for $25. It got high ratings from that site.

As long as their is no drop in video quality, I'll try it out and keep it. I'm just going to use the switch for the 360 plus the PS3 when I get it.
Old 01-28-06, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does your projector accept HD signals? You can't pass an hd signal over s-vid, you need to use component for the dvr
Old 01-29-06, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I have a Sony HDTV with 2 component inputs. I have a dvd player, hd box, and Xbox 360. So obviously, I need another input.

Are there any component switch boxes that does not have any loss of video quality? I need something....don't want to have to change out cables everytime I want to play the 360. In the old thread mentioned, there is a JVC box for about $70. Don't know anything about it. http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=jvcjxs111

This one looks good, but it's $180. http://www.digitalconnection.com/pro...ideo/1154a.asp

Will you get any loss in video quality using a switch box?
I have had the JVC for several years. I have never noticed a drop in quality in using it with DVD players. I don't know about using it with anything else.
Old 01-30-06, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A manual switchbox (Pelican) should have virtually infinite bandwidth to handle any resolution easily. But they are manual.

The electronic switchboxes need good quality parts to work with HD bandwidth. They are more convenient with remote or automatic switching. The 1154A is top notch and a best buy with the new prices, you may be able to find it for $150. It began at $300, so those are good prices these days, if you're willing to spend that much.
Old 09-22-06, 02:21 PM

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
I'm finally getting an HD-DVR. My 2 component inputs on my 4+-year-old HD-ready TV are (1) 480i/480p and (2) 480p/1080i. Right now I have my DVD players into 1 and XBox360 into 2. My thinking now is to keep 1 as is, get the Pelican PL970 noted above and plug the HD-DVR and XBox 360 into that. Does that make sense? Will that work OK? The manual switch doesn't bother me at all and I don't want to spend $100+ for the switch box. Thoughts?

Thanks.
Old 09-22-06, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sounds right.
Old 09-22-06, 04:20 PM

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Spiky
Sounds right.
Great, thanks.
And GO VIKES!--(MN native)