Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Setting up HDTV with upconverting DVD Player and HD-satelite (and only 1 DVI port)

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Setting up HDTV with upconverting DVD Player and HD-satelite (and only 1 DVI port)

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-05, 12:21 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm really new to HDTV and going to get my first one today. I needed something somewhat portable (I move about every other year across the country due to my job), so I went with a 32" LCD. The issue: it has only one DVI-HDCP in port.

I was planning on buying an OPPO upconverting DVD player (with the DVI out). However, I'm also going to get HD-Satelite (still deciding between DirecTV and Dish) and thought for HD it was essential to use the DVI port. Thus, I'm torn as to which to plug into the DVI port and which to use component for.

Without buying a DVI switch box (they seem to run around $500 and I cannot justify that price yet), what is the best way to cable these two to my TV? Should I plug the DVD player into the DVI port and the HD-Satelite into the component video or vice versa?

Thanks for any advice. Like I said, I'm a total newbie to HDTV and have tried to find a good resource for sure questions without much luck.

Last edited by mbs; 11-07-05 at 04:49 PM.
Old 11-05-05, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Connect the Oppo to the DVI port and the Dish or Direct to the component inputs. You need to use the DVI inpupt for the Oppo to take advantage of the scaling feature, but since the Dish box doesn't scale (as least to my knowledge), just go with component for that.
Old 11-06-05, 01:29 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BobDole42
Connect the Oppo to the DVI port and the Dish or Direct to the component inputs. You need to use the DVI inpupt for the Oppo to take advantage of the scaling feature, but since the Dish box doesn't scale (as least to my knowledge), just go with component for that.
Thank you, that makes sense.

On other (likely dumb) question: how would I know if the cable/satelite box supports upconverting (or scaling)? Would it simply list that as a technical feature or is the more that needs to be considered? I'm still deciding between cable and directv or dish, so I might use that as a tie-breaker, assuming one of their boxes can do it.

Also, a side-question... Are the HD broadcasts from cable/satelite the same resolution (1080i)? I thought I read something about satelite being lower here a while back, but cannot locate it.
Old 11-06-05, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You're cable/satelite box probably outputs HD at 1080i and maybe also 720p. Whiwould mean that some signals get scaled (my comcast DVR scales 720p from ABC to 1080i). However, cable boxes almost always will output the scaled signal via component, whereas most DVD players will only scale via the DVI output.
Old 11-07-05, 04:16 PM

I have the Oppo going through the DVI (DVI connection on the OPPO going to the HDMI port on my tv using a DVI to HDMI cable) and my Direct TV HD going through Component on my Panasonic plasma.

Question for those who own an Oppo: I see the button on the bottom left of the remote that says DVI. Is there anyway to find out if the scaling feature is turned on? I do notice that I am not able to hit that button if the DVD is playing. If I hit it at the Oppo screen, I do see that the image goes away for a second, but nothing on the screen saying that it's a different viewing mode.

**UPDATE**

Looks like the latest firmware for the Oppo would give me what I need:

11. Extended display time for DVI resolution

When the “DVI” button is pressed to change the DVI resolution, the on-screen display shows the DVI resolution. Some display devices take a longer time to adjust to the new DVI resolution, so extending the time that the resolution is displayed on the screen gives users of such display device an opportunity to see what the selected DVI resolution is.

Last edited by juanmgonzalez; 11-07-05 at 04:29 PM.