Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

DVD Player or Receiver Making Popping Noises During movies

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 11-02-05, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me figure this one out. Either my DVD Player or my Receiver is making popping/clicking noises through the speakers at random times during movies. I was watching my brand new Office Space SE tonight it it clicked and popped about 3 times. The DVD Player is a Pioneer DV-563A connected to an Onkyo TX-DS494 via 5.1 channel inputs (since the DVD Player does SACD and DVD-A). I'm don't think I've heard the receiver click and pop like this when using my XBox (connected via coaxial cable) but I've never actually watched a movie on the XBox (though I do have the DVD remote so I could try). I think my cable box (also connected via digital coax) has done this before though when the HD channels freeze or get messed up so maybe it is the DVD player.
Has anyone had any experience with this before? Alternatively, I'm thinking maybe it's a cable problem? I'm using pretty thick cables for my 5.1 inputs but maybe that's causing it. I hope it's not the receiver though, because other than the lack of component inputs, it's served me really well for almost 4 years.
On a side note, could this damage my speakers? I usually keep the volume moderate but I have some nice Polk speakers all around and I really don't want to damage them.
Old 11-03-05, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Cables shouldn't cause it unless they are physically damaged. Try switching to a digital connection to test that. If you aren't getting it from any other source, the player sounds like the culprit.

Bad audio could damage your speakers, but if you are keeping the volume low, it shouldn't be too much of a worry.

Also, test other discs. Could always be a bad disc. You did say it was a new one.
Old 11-03-05, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the reply. I've had it happen on various discs so I'll try a digital input and playing a movie on my XBox. If that doesn't do it then I'll know it's the player. So assuming the player turns out to be the cause, does anyone know of a player that can do SACD, DVD-A, and is progressive scan that won't cost me a fortune?
Old 11-04-05, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Pioneer 588, $130, 2 generations after your 563.
Old 11-04-05, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

well I watched my office space DVD on the XBox and it didn't make any noises. I'll watch another movie or two and if I hear nothing on the XBox I'm going to conclude that it's the player. I'm a bit leary of another pioneer product after this thing crapping out on me, but the next cheapest player I could find was like 190 so I'll probably give Pioneer another shot.
Old 11-05-05, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I went to Tweeter today intending on picking up the Pioneer 588 but after speaking with the sales rep, I'm don't think it'll do what I need. I currently have the 563A connected to my receiver only via the 5.1 channel inputs, so it does the Dolby Digital and DTS decoding (obviously not the best of situations but my 3 digital inputs are in use by other devices). He was saying that the 588 does not have an onboard DD/DTS decoder so I would have to have it connected via the 5.1 ins for SACD/DVD-A and a digital input for DD/DTS. Is this truly the case?
I decided to connect my player to the receiver via a digital coax (atleast temporarily) and the same 20 or so minutes of office space didn't distort at all, though when I turned the player off a slight (much less disagreeable) pop was heard through the speakers.Anyhow, can someone confirm this is the case for the 588? If it is, perhaps I can buy a digital audio switcher (since the 563 doesn't make the weird clicks on DVD-A or SACD) and hold off on a new player for a while. thanks again for the help.
Old 11-06-05, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, the salesman lied. Shocking, I know. It has onboard decoders. No question.

Frankly, it sounds like the DD/DTS decoders in your 563 have malfunctioned. So the simplest solution would be to get the digital switcher. There are many of these, I'd try searching at some online stores like Onecall, Radio Shack, Best Buy, Crutchfield to see what they have.
Old 11-07-05, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm not sure he knowingly lied, it actually cost him a sale I think he was must misinformed. I'm going to hunt around for a digital switchbox. I couldn't find one locally (well except for this 99 dollar Pelican System Selector Pro thing which I've heard mixed reviews of and frankly, I'd rather just buy a new player than spend 99 bucks on a switch) but maybe I'll find something online.