Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Battlestar Galactica renewed for 3rd Season

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-05, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Battlestar Galactica renewed for 3rd Season

I did a search for this, but got "search is disabled". I'm pretty sure it hasn't been posted.

From Futon Critic:
Sci Fi is on track to renew its popular original series "Battlestar Galactica," industry insiders reported over the weekend.

An official announcement is expected later this week once the deal is finalized.*

"Battlestar," despite a 12.96% dip in viewership this season, remains the network's most-watched series with an average 2.06 household rating - slightly ahead of lead-ins "Stargate SG-1" (1.98 rating) and "Stargate Atlantis" (1.99 rating).

Both "SG-1" and "Atlantis" got the thumbs up for the 2006-07 season last week, also despite dips in viewership from their previous 10-week runs (down 5.37% and 12.00% respectively).

"Battlestar" nevertheless has been responsible for seven of Sci Fi's 10 most-watched broadcasts in 2005 - its two season openers leading the pack with a 2.6 household rating each.
*Don't celebrate too much until it's official.
Old 11-01-05, 01:27 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
YAAAY!
Old 11-01-05, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was really hoping for a Galactica 1980 revivial myself.
Old 11-01-05, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great news on BSG and SGA....now for some new episodes damnit!
Old 11-01-05, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If they're going to continue to call themselves the Sci-Fi Channel, they darn well better renew Battlestar Galactica.
Old 11-01-05, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Sweet. Seemed like a no-brainer.
Old 11-01-05, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Frakin' Cool news. Now if they would just get rid of those Sci Fi movies which stink, bring back Farscape and show the new Doctor Who series, the Network might get my full respect back.
Old 11-01-05, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ultimate SciFi Friday line up: Dr. Who, Battlestar Galactica, and Farscape.

Just curious, does anyone know what kind of ratings Farscape got throughout its run? Just wondering how it compares to the current Friday shows.
Old 11-01-05, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

does any network here in america have the rights to air this new "dr. who" series i keep hearing about?
Old 11-01-05, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kvrdave
Sweet. Seemed like a no-brainer.
Yep, this one's a lock. Unless money, politics, egos, or simple stupidity get in the way, of course.
Old 11-01-05, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I never really trust SciFi renewals, but this is still good to hear. This is one of the best shows on TV. I hope they don't blow it.
Old 11-02-05, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by peon73
does any network here in america have the rights to air this new "dr. who" series i keep hearing about?
Nope. If you want to watch last seasons shows you either have to buy a region free player and buy the R2 set when it gets released later this month or wait until February when a Canadian set is released.
BG & Farscape would have made the best back-to-back science fiction punch in TV history. Miss my Farscape and the lame-o 'Scape style dialogue on Stargate does nothing but remind me what a great show got canned and which one is still running.
Old 11-02-05, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The new Doctor Who series is great. I just watched the Dalek episode this afternoon, and that's money right there. Someone needs to man up and bring that stuff over here. Where's PBS when you need them?
Old 11-02-05, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow I didn't know there was a dip in ratings so far. That prolly has to do with how long it took to get the 2nd series on the air, AND the fact that the Season 1 DVD didn't come out until Season 2 was up and running already.

I was turned on to this show by a friend despite my reservations and I love it now. I have since turned on 2 more people to it and they are presently working through the Season 1 set and waiting for Season 2 Part 1 on DVD (which I hate by the way, this 'season part' business, it's so UK).

CFG!
Old 11-02-05, 08:50 AM

I watched all of the first season but have missed to many episodes during the second season to really keep up with it. I definetly will pick up S2 when it comes out on DVD. Its good to hear that they have signed it for a 3rd season.
Old 11-02-05, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Bcolon
Ultimate SciFi Friday line up: Dr. Who, Battlestar Galactica, and Farscape.

Just curious, does anyone know what kind of ratings Farscape got throughout its run? Just wondering how it compares to the current Friday shows.
In a perfect world...

As far as the dip in the ratings, I have a feeling because it is just a bit too dark for most. A few people that I have worked with have dropped the show for that reason. It would be nice if it did lighten up a bit but not to the point where it would make it into another Enterprise.
Old 11-02-05, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by riley_dude
In a perfect world...

As far as the dip in the ratings, I have a feeling because it is just a bit too dark for most. A few people that I have worked with have dropped the show for that reason. It would be nice if it did lighten up a bit but not to the point where it would make it into another Enterprise.
I like the darkness, but I can see how that would turn some off. And while the show is fantastic it probably is hard for new viewers to just jump on as a lot of the impact of a given episode is so tied to what came before.

Great news for a great show.
Old 11-02-05, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
They need to be rerunning the mini-series, season 1 and the first half of season 2 in the regular Friday night time slot to get new veiwers. But this might bite some of the DVD sales so this probably won't happen.
Old 11-02-05, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I tend to think that a lot of people like their sci fi light. Farscape got pretty dark and look how that turned out. Look how successsful the last Star Wars movie was. Battlestar Gallactica is too dark for mainstream which is ashame.
Old 11-04-05, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can see how some would consider BSG too dark but heck it is suppose to be hard times for these people. IMHO, I think if they did lighten it up that it would detract from the show.

You would think that with all the airtime they have at their disposal and with some of the crappy stuff they show, they could fit in some Farscape.
Old 11-04-05, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Too dark my ass. It's the best sci-fi series on TV. Heck, it's one of the top five series on TV period. They don't need to change a damn thing.