Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

A few questions about Xbox360 and Networking

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-05, 09:37 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A few questions about Xbox360 and Networking

I have a multimedia PC thats connected to my TV already. Its going to be a few feet away from the Xbox. Since the 360 will be a 'jukebox' for video files and mp3s. Should I use the 360 soley for that purpose--will it be better?

My internet is not wireless (it comes in near the TV so its doesnt have to be) and it goes into my house to my internet phone and then it goes right to my PC. Because of this, Ive had problems with routers before so for xbox Live I had to physically remove the plug from my computer and go directly to my xbox--Will things be easier with the 360?

Should I transfer files from my pc to 360 with a USB cord or will everything be easier to go wireless?

Im getting a new home theater system that has component inputs so I can plug all my sources into that and just have one plug to my TV. Im assuming the 360 will play nice with this? Is there a DVI plug for the 360 or should I just stick with the component?

any advice is appreciated!
Old 10-27-05, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No DVI input on the XBOX.

As for using multimedia, I don't really know. I use mine for gaming strictly. I'm not sure if you need the MS software to communicate or not, not sure how that aspect works.

I'm sure wireless will work fine too...although, I use a direct connection to my router
Old 10-27-05, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really think you need to get a router going. My guess would be that wilth a LAN, your 360 will be able to stream stuff off the media pc. I don't see anything in your setup that would prevent a router from working. Voip shouldn't make a router not work. Plus, with all the 360 games being live aware, you don't want to be switching over your ethernet jack all the time.

The 360 comes with component cables and there is not yet a HDMI or DVI option, so you should be good to go with a component video switch. I don't know what kind of home theater setup you are getting (I could help if you tell me), but please be sure if you are switching component on the amp that it has ample bandwith to handle HD. I believe 65 MHz is the minimum, with nicer receivers having 100 MHz. I would stick to a nicer receiver like a Denon, Marantz, etc, rather than a Sony, JVC, Pioneer, etc.

Let me know if that helps.
Old 10-27-05, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I use this receiver as my HD component switch, so..higher end Sony's should be good.

Sony STR-DA1000ES
http://www.onecall.com/ModelSearch.h...63_0_0_0_0_0_0
Old 10-27-05, 10:09 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

I havent decided on a HT yet. The maybe onkyo or something? Recommendations are welcome!

For some reason I could never get 2 machines using the internet connection when using a router (hooked to my Voip). It was either Xbox or the PC, never both.

Maybe its comcast cable internet preventing it?
Old 10-27-05, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you have comcast, then you should have no problems. You need to put the router in front of your voip and PC, though. Honestly, comcast's customer service (at least in my area) is pretty good, so if you can't figure it out, you could probably call them and get some help.

If you need HT help, then you're going to have to give us some more info, like price range, what you have, etc.
Old 10-27-05, 10:23 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

When I was setting up Xbox Live when it came out, Comcast wanted to have nothing to do with helping, telling me to contact Microsoft. Physically plugging it in a few times a week wasnt to bad of a hassle. I would like to fix that this time around however.

I think Ive always put the router after the voip, so I could try it the other way.

I have a Sony 60" Wega III with a DVI input and component as well.

Id like something in the $300-$400 range that can do component switching. Wattage (loudness) isnt as big a deal as finesse.
Old 10-27-05, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, OneCall.com is selling that Sony STR-DA1000ES receiver for around $300. It has TWO component inputs and ONE out. How many component inputs do you want?

I love the receiver, it looks great too. I basically have my HDTV cable box and XBOX hooked up to it now. My DVD player is directly connected to my TV.
Old 10-27-05, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
Well, OneCall.com is selling that Sony STR-DA1000ES receiver for around $300. It has TWO component inputs and ONE out. How many component inputs do you want?

I love the receiver, it looks great too. I basically have my HDTV cable box and XBOX hooked up to it now. My DVD player is directly connected to my TV.
More than 2. Who only uses 2 components?

Gamecube, Xbox, 360 (soon), DVD player, Cable/satellite, Tivo etc.
Old 10-27-05, 11:13 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

wow yea at least 4 Id think.
Old 10-27-05, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
More than 2. Who only uses 2 components?

Gamecube, Xbox, 360 (soon), DVD player, Cable/satellite, Tivo etc.
Well, good luck finding a receiver with all those inputs. I think the most I've seen was FOUR. I know some reasonable prices ones have 3 component inputs.

I guess I keep my life simple.

My TV has ONE HD component, and I think 3 normal component inputs....there is a difference, one can receive 1080i, the other is 480p only. Weird I know. Anyways, my CAble Box and XBOX (will swap for 360) use my HD component (since my receiver switches it). My DVD player is plugged into the TV direct to the 480p input.

I would suggest a component switcher for someone who needs to use EVERYTHING with an HD input. That is just as easy.

Something like this LOOKS nice, costs a bit more for a system selector:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1064000347511

Last edited by DJ_Longfellow; 10-27-05 at 11:27 AM.
Old 10-27-05, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not sure you'll be able to play video files on your xbox360. I did a bunch of research and anytime video files are mentioned, its in conjuction with having a pc with Media Center Edition. If you don't have windows MCE, I don't think you are going to be able to stream video files to the 360. It will still stream music and pictures without it though. I hope I'm wrong, but there are lots of discussions about this various places on the net and the conclusion is always that you need MCE for video files.
Old 10-27-05, 12:28 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

I have MCE
I watch video files on it just fine, but supposedly the 360 will be a 'media center' to do everything then I would think id just do it all on the xbox. No problem if i have to keep using my PC i was just wondering what would be best.