Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Anyone pick up: HEROES OF THE PACIFIC?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-05, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone pick up: HEROES OF THE PACIFIC?

I was thinking of getting this game but I already have Secret Weapons Over Normandy. I really liked this game but I wouldnt mind trading it in for a new "updated" version. From the videos Ive seen the graphics are a bit better and the battles seem more "epic"

Anyone have any info on this game and how it compares to SWON?
Old 10-18-05, 11:04 PM

I liked SWON better. SWON was easier to control and easier to target. Plus I liked the mision design more. Heroes is more realistic though, especially if you don't keep track of your altitude and speed, you crash, whereas in SWON - you could get away with being the lamest pilot in the world and still keep on flying so long as you didn't get shot down.

Also, the mission design in SWON was more varied.
Old 10-19-05, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Well hell, it looks like I should keep SWON and just go for a rental on HOTP. How are the graphics?

Is HOTP more of a sim than? I really dont get how "realistic" these flying games get, I NEVER have trouble playing the Ace Combat games, but I did stall alot in SWON. I think because I was trying Ace COmbat maneuvers. lol
Old 10-19-05, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by Ravenous
I NEVER have trouble playing the Ace Combat games, but I did stall alot in SWON. I think because I was trying Ace Combat maneuvers. lol
So you're saying that WWII fighers can pull G's like a YF-22?

I'm pretty curious about this game myself. I didn't hear much about it while in development, but it seems like I'd enjoy it.
Old 10-20-05, 04:20 PM

HOTP gives you optional "arcade" or "sim" modes. I haven't played in sim mode yet, because I get tired of worrying if my flaps are correct and the like.

Graphically, heroes is better than SWON, seeing as it's had what - 2 more years development than Secret Weapons got :-)
Old 10-20-05, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It has a very very high learning curve. Fans of the Ace Combat series will either love it or hate it....or love to hate it because the game is very unforgiving. Shooting someone down can be a real chore if you don't know how to lead your targets.

I have played online and its fun. The only thing I dont like is that EVERYONE can talk to one another even if you are on opposite teams. You also have a ceiling of like 4500 feet which is also kinda sucky but you get used to it. Another thing is that there are always those 2-4 guys on all the time who love to blow their own horns about how great they are and spew plane tech talk and about how their grandpa was a great WWII veteran blah blah blah....spoiled army brats can be nerve racking.

The dive bombing has to be one of the cooler aspects of the game. Tons of planes to choose from too.