Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Warriors UE first impressions

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-05, 06:18 PM
JM1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Warriors UE first impressions

Picked up an early copy of the R1 release in the UK today and watched it tonight.

Firstly, if you would rather not know what is or is not contained on the disc, and more importantly the content of the "Directors Cut", please do not read on.

As far as sound and pic are concerned this is first rate, the original version was very grainy and they have managed to restore the pic to a degree I would not have considered possible.

The 5.1 soundtrack really opens up the soundfield, good separation, especially on the soundtrack.

Also, the 4 making of documentaries are excellent, involving most of the main cast and crew and really giving an insight into the day to day problems of the actual shoot...and beyond.

But...

This is not a directors cut in the traditional sense. There is no extra footage, no re-editing of scenes, and the additional/re-edited scenes that were shown in various TV screenings (mainly the introduction to the gang members in Coney Island) are only discussed and shown in part in the docs.

There is a new introduction by Walter Hill, and he mentions the allusions to original greek legend the original novel was based on and also the comic book sensibilility of the story. And to this end they have seen fit to add a new scrolling narration which references the original Greek legend, and probably the most controversial aspect - have decided to include comic book style panels to segue from some scenes to others.

Now in most cases (and especially as I can understand Hill's reasons for doing this from the new interviews) this is not too distracting - but for me it totally ruins the original introduction to the Baseball Furies. As the gang exit the station and Ajax says "Where are they?" it now cuts back to the rest of the gang running for the train, and a freeze frame/segue into a comic book panel saying "Meanwhile back at the station...", and opening the scene on a still comic book frame of one of the Furies - for me totally dissipating the tension of one of the most well known and iconic moments in the film.

I can see this approach to the new version being highly controversial for fans, and despite the spoilers just thought I would highlight it here for those who want to know.

Last edited by JM1; 09-24-05 at 03:32 AM. Reason: Amended spelling
Old 09-23-05, 06:49 PM

I bet the value of the original DVD release will start to go up pretty fast. This comic-book stuff sounds terrible.
Old 09-23-05, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 119 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by JM1
There is a new introduction by Walter Hill, and he mentions the allusions to original greek legend the original novel was based on and also the comic book sensibilility of the story. And to this end they have seen fit to add a new scrolling narration which references the original Greek legend, and probably the most controversial aspect - have decided to include comic book style panels to segue from some scenes to others.

Originally Posted by JM1
Now in most cases (and especially as I can understand Hill's reasons for doing this from the new interviews) this is not too distracting - but for me it totally ruins the original introduction to the Baseball Furies. As the gang exit the station and Ajax says "Where are they?" it now cuts back to the rest of the gang running for the train, and a freeze frame/segue into a comic book panel saying "Meanwhile back at the station...", and opening the scene on a still comic book frame of one of the Furies - for me totally dissipating the tension of one of the most well known and iconic moments in the film.
Old 09-23-05, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WTF? is right. First the Outsiders moronic music change and now this? Two of my most waited for dvds seem to have been destroyed....not enhanced.
Old 09-23-05, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Apparently the R2 release is listed as having a 'commentary' track (as well as the original artwork for the cover!) is this absent from the R1?
Old 09-23-05, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No wonder the running time is the same as the original version!

Now I know I won't bother picking up this release immediately. I'm not sure if I will get it later on or not. But it doesn't sound like it's worth it to enjoy the film itself. Since I love the original version too death and am happy with the old dvd. It looks and sounds great on that release in my honest opinion.
Old 09-23-05, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I thought it was going to be the TV version with the profanity intact. Bummer. I'm gonna wait until I watch someone else's copy before picking this up.
Old 09-24-05, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No thanks.

= J
Old 09-24-05, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wow, I was really looking forward to this one, but not any more. Too bad the original is not included.
Old 09-24-05, 03:46 AM
JM1

Just to clarify (wrote this very late last night), what you essentially have is the same movie with some comic book style segues added to some scenes, a new opening added which explains the original Greek story the film is based on which then cuts to the existing opening on the Coney wheel with a caption which reads "Sometime in the future..." (So far so good, I like the "future" comment because this was something Hill had always intended).

But it's those comic book panel segues that are going to annoy most as much as Lucas tampering with SW annoys fans of those movies.

I still say the film looks and sounds great though, and maybe if you can get past those new additions you do have a pretty decent version of the movie.

And the making of docs are very good indeed, more than an hours worth of fairly detailed stuff, with most of the main actors and crew involved. Shame they did not include the deleted scenes from the TV cut, only the Coney Island intro is shown in one of the docs.

There is no commentary, curious that the R2 lists one, must look into that further.
Old 09-24-05, 08:36 AM

Hmmm...that opening narration scene sounds intriguing, but I'll keep my original version and maybe wait for a DDD sale or 2 for $15 sale to get this.
Old 09-24-05, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
What on eart....

leaps from his home office chair (or a reasonable attempt at leaping) and races out to buy the current disc.
Old 09-25-05, 09:36 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Sounds Cool! I'm sure the changes will be done well so I will definately be picking this up.

Last edited by feral125; 09-25-05 at 09:48 AM.
Old 09-25-05, 01:58 PM
Cool New Member

Cannot wait to pick this up.
Old 09-25-05, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I'll stay on the fence at this juncture in time.

place mark
Old 10-02-05, 05:14 PM

Kind of a stupid question, but in the beginning, when the Warriors run away, how'd they all get wet?
Old 10-02-05, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just watched the new version last night as I got my copy from DDD yesterday. I found the picture and sound quality to be very good given this movies' age, but the comic book insertions are a joke, unnecessary as hell. They are going to be a definite distraction to long time fans of the movie, but they are thankfully few in number and as I said, the movies DOES look and sound great. If they wanted to call this an SE, couldn't they have simply touted the quality of the print and sound? I saw very little if anything in the way of extra scenes, but I've always loved the movie so I didn't mind that. I'd recommend buying it for the print alone, if you think you can ignore the comic book junk.
Old 10-02-05, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for the info.
Old 10-05-05, 11:05 AM
Cool New Member

I just can't bring myself to buy this, even for $12.99.

Why couldn't they just include the original version in remastered form on there too?!?!
Old 10-05-05, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by gutwrencher
WTF? is right. First the Outsiders moronic music change and now this? not enhanced.
As badly as I was waiting for the Outsiders SE, have to agree with that, the music just didn't feel right.
Old 10-05-05, 12:41 PM
Banned

I'm satisfied with the previous edition, especially with all the numerous negativity involving concerning this new edition.
Old 10-09-05, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 269 Likes on 197 Posts
Originally Posted by nightmaster
Just watched the new version last night as I got my copy from DDD yesterday. I found the picture and sound quality to be very good given this movies' age, but the comic book insertions are a joke, unnecessary as hell. They are going to be a definite distraction to long time fans of the movie, but they are thankfully few in number and as I said, the movies DOES look and sound great. If they wanted to call this an SE, couldn't they have simply touted the quality of the print and sound? I saw very little if anything in the way of extra scenes, but I've always loved the movie so I didn't mind that. I'd recommend buying it for the print alone, if you think you can ignore the comic book junk.

I agree... the extra's, the picture, and sound made it worth it for me. I also think the the "Sometime in the future" could be referring to the fact that it takes place after the Greek legend. That was my take on it so that part was not nearly as annoying as the comic book stuff. It blows the pacing of the movie off and decreases the tension of more dramatic moments of the film. I can't believe he really wanted to release it this way, it probably would have flopped. I do wish they would have put the deleted scenes on there, I have seen parts of this on TV and the added footage would have been cool to see again.
Old 10-09-05, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw this movie for the FIRST time ever tonite.

The comic scense were actually not bad in my opinion. I can see how long time fans would be angry though.

Picture /sound was awesome for an older film.
Old 10-11-05, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 119 Likes on 104 Posts
Alright, got my copy as I promised.
I fast-forwarded through this version of the movie (Expected to see tons of dreadful, animated sequences attatched all over the place to my beloved classic) but was glad to see that the comic book stuff was not as overused as I was led to believe. In fact, there's a moment where I thought it worked well:
That sequence where Luther throws the candy-bar at the clerk and walks away always seemed goofy to me. Like "Ooooh, what a rebel". But this new cut has the camera freezing on his face and dissolves to his comic-book incarnation. Perhaps giving the impression that he wasn't finished with the clerk yet! So I liked that touch.

And another sequence that I thought looked great was the last train-shot at the Coney Island station. The animation was just friggin' beautiful here! Briefly allowing the gung-ho, bombastic Warriors that we all love an added touch of elevated and respected art!

But yeah, I agree with the OP on the Baseball Furies introduction. This was very choppy and awkward.

Really. No other complaints from what I saw. I checked the special features out last night and wasn't let down (Some AMAZING stills that I've never seen before)

Almost quite The Warriors-Special Edition that I had been waiting on for years, but at least more satisifying than my other "gang" re-release, Outsiders.
Old 10-11-05, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Now I'm really up in the air on this one .... I've always liked the movie, but the new edition does sound intriguing.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.