DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When is Mario Baseball Coming Out ?

I had heard the end of August.
What's the actual release date ?
Old 08-23-05, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Next week. Depending on where you shop that can be Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday. This game is going to be insanely fun. It's basically my absolute favorite baseball series (Family Stadium, Word Stadium) with Mario characters. In fact, the Japanese title is Mario Stadium. It's going to follow the previous Mario sports games' of being very arcade-like with controls that are easy to learn.

Nintendo seems to be picking the right guys to work on their Mario sports series. I know a lot of people here were really high on the Sega Strikers soccer game that was an earlier Gamecube title; they are the guys developing Mario Soccer appropriately called: Mario Strikers. I was rolling my eyes initially when they first announced Mario Baseball and Soccer but they've got the right teams on board which has gotten me excited for both.
Old 08-23-05, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yeah I wondered this also. Played the demo at target the other night it was very fun. Def will be picking this up, and haven't bought a game since forever.
Old 08-23-05, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm iffy on this one. I loved Mario Golf on the GBA, but the Cube version of it really didn't appeal to me that much. I mostly played it to unlock stuff on the GBA version. I really didn't like Mario Tennis. However, the baseball game looks like it could be fun. I'm going to have to spend time with the demo of this one and see if I want it. With sports though I usually prefer simulation to arcade.
Old 08-23-05, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you prefer simulation I'd stick to another baseball title. Mario Baseball is very much arcade-style baseball.
Old 08-23-05, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd forgotten about this title until I saw the TV ad yesterday. And man... do I never get tired of Bowser getting beaned by the pitching machine.
Old 08-23-05, 03:46 PM
Retired

This definitely looks like fun. First mario sports game in sport I care about. Will definitely give it a look at some point.
Old 08-23-05, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Outpost.com has it for $39.99 + shipping. See here:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=435158
Old 08-23-05, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Went ahead and switched out my Zelda preorder for this today at Gamerush. Looking forward to a old-school type baseball game.
Old 08-26-05, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sweet it's being released?there was talk about shelving this game,glad to see it might turn out ok.
Old 08-26-05, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If you liked the old Japanese NES baseball games like Baseball Stars, Baseball Simulator 1.000 or the first RBI Baseball (not 2 or 3) then you'll have an idea of what this game will play like. I can't wait!
Old 08-26-05, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
If you liked the old Japanese NES baseball games like Baseball Stars, Baseball Simulator 1.000 or the first RBI Baseball (not 2 or 3) then you'll have an idea of what this game will play like. I can't wait!
Man, I was a huge fan of all three of those and owned all three on the NES.
Baseball has always been a game I loved playing since the NES days. I loved Baseball Stars, Baseball Simulator and Bases Loaded on the NES. I played Hardball and Hardball III non stop on the Genesis and I really enjoyed All Star Baseball 2003 on the GameCube. I even played the old e-Reader Baseball quite a bit on my GBA.

I'm tempted to give this one a try. I'm going to go and play the demo for awhile this weekend and see if the arcade style will appeal to me.

BTW IGN gave this game 7.9, but by reading the details of the review it sounds pretty good. They did mention some control problems though I'm worried about. I'll have to see how much the fielding and base running bothers me.
Old 08-26-05, 10:58 AM

From the AZ Fry's ad, this game will be $34.99 Tuesday only (available after 4pm).
Old 08-26-05, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would be all over this game if the cube was online but i don't think i have enough friends that would play to get my moneys worth.
Old 08-26-05, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Spent some time with the demo today and I'm liking it. They seem to limit the Star power moves enough so they don't get absolutely annoying the way they were in Mario Tennis. The fielding and base running though not perfect are not as bad as I thought. You know you will screw it up on occasion, but it still looks like a fun game. Definitely reminded me of RBI and Baseball Simulator in many ways. Pitching and batting seem very solid. Like with the old NES games you will be moving the ball left and right a lot after throwing it to try and strike out the batter.

My copy is preordered at GameRush so I'm looking forward to it.
Old 08-26-05, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 486 Likes on 285 Posts
Baseball Simulator was huge fun for me. I would give my leadoff hitter 99 speed rating, and then his special hit would be the ground ball that was unfieldable. Inside the park homerun every time.
Old 08-27-05, 09:26 AM

To those of you who have played the demo: are the controls easy enough for younger kids to handle? I thought about picking this up to play with my son (he just turned 8).
Old 08-29-05, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you like simple "dumbed-down" games then you'll like this one. The learning curve isn't that hard and it's fun.
Old 09-02-05, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Spent way too much time playing this today and I have to give it a big thumbs up. This game is very simple compared to most Baseball games out today, but its the most fun I've had in awhile. I liked it much better than Mario Golf or Tennis.

Its definitely Baseball Simulator 1.000 on steroids. Namco really did a good job of capturing the old style of NES baseball and they did an excellent job with the Mario characters. Not a lot of depth to the game, but this is one you can pick up and play anytime. Very addicting.
Old 09-03-05, 09:18 AM
Retired

Sounds like I'll definitely be picking this up some time then.

I used to love sports games, but can't stand most of them today as they're too realistic and require too much skill and knowledge of the game.
Old 09-04-05, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i really don't like the game cube, but this game looks so fun i could see buying a cube and this game. and mario kart if that is still around.
Old 09-04-05, 07:49 AM
Retired

Of course Mario Kart is still around. And it's $20 or less everywhere.

I splurged and picked up Mario Baseball yesterday. First game I've bought at retail price at launch since KOTOR 1.

It's a damn fun game. Just what I was looking for in terms of wanting a simple pick up and play baseball game. There seems to be a good bit of depth their in terms of all the special swings and pitches, abilitiy to aim your hits, differences in the stadiums, the team chemistry thing, all the mini-games and the challenge mode where you unlock players etc.

Only minor gripe is the baserunning as mentioned in all the reviews. Usually get doubled up at least once a game from them taking off as soon as every ball is hit, or get thrown out when you just want to advance the lead runner but they all move. But you learn to deal with this, so it's not huge.

I'd give them game a preliminary score of 8.0/10.
Old 09-04-05, 06:01 PM

I picked this up today and am liking it so far. I don't get a lot of runs but I do get a lot of hits, sometimes only to be snagged by a double-play. I've only won 1 game out of the 3 I played, tied one, lost one. Glad I bought it though. Off to play another 9.
Old 09-04-05, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Only minor gripe is the baserunning as mentioned in all the reviews. Usually get doubled up at least once a game from them taking off as soon as every ball is hit, or get thrown out when you just want to advance the lead runner but they all move. But you learn to deal with this, so it's not huge.

I'd give them game a preliminary score of 8.0/10.
I agree with the score and the reviews about the base running as that takes some adjusting to. I've gotten pretty quick at hitting the X though as soon as I hit the ball and it looks like an out, so I rarely get caught in double plays anymore.

So far I've finished the first two challenge cups and I'm working on the third, but its really getting tough now. I've also played a lot of exhibition games. This is a great two player game since its so easy to pick up and play for pretty much anyone.
Old 09-04-05, 10:15 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by darkside
This is a great two player game since its so easy to pick up and play for pretty much anyone.
Yep. And it's even better in that there is skill involved that can be learned. So it's a great pick up and play game for casual gamers. But it's also one you can get involved in, get good at, and slaughter any newbies.

Unfortunately it seemed like EGM docked it some for that, for not being pick up and play friendly enough. But I think that's a huge plus as it keeps it from being a sheer party game.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.