Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

How is "Point Blank" with Lee Marvin?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-05, 04:33 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

I am thinking of picking this up online. Didn't hate Mel Gibson's "Payback" which i know most loathed.

So will I really like this one?

Thanks...
Old 08-02-05, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scott1598
I am thinking of picking this up online. Didn't hate Mel Gibson's "Payback" which i know most loathed.

So will I really like this one?

Thanks...
It's awesome, but less conventional than PAYBACK. Very '60s in terms of design but not a camp-fest like the FLINT pictures. Lee Marvin was ten times the badass Mel Gibson will ever be.
Old 08-02-05, 08:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Excellent film. Definitely pick it up. A true Classic.
Old 08-03-05, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This film was WAY ahead of its time. Excellent director commentary with a suitably respectful Soderbergh on this dvd,too. And no one has replaced Lee Marvin.
Old 08-03-05, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Get it and get the Criterion edition of The Killers and you've got the two best Lee Marvin films ever.
Old 08-03-05, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by devilpants
Get it and get the Criterion edition of The Killers and you've got the two best Lee Marvin films ever.
Then pick up HELL IN THE PACIFIC, THE BIG RED ONE, and PRIME CUT for the other three best.

Lee Marvin was the man.
Old 08-03-05, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While I concur that it was ahead of its time and thus holds a spot as influential in film history, I'm not as high on "Point Blank" as the rest of you. Good movie no doubt but not much more than that for me (despite the presence of Angie Dickinson). On the other hand, "The Dirty Dozen", "The Professionals", and some of the others mentioned....I love. How about getting "Emperor of the North" on DVD?
Old 08-04-05, 12:17 AM

How about getting "Emperor of the North" on DVD?
Excellent suggestion! I haven't seen Emperor Of The North since it's theatrical release, but I remember it as one of Lee Marvin's best performances.

It's too bad there isn't some way to create some kind of thread that lists films we all want to see on DVD that could be regularly submitted to the appropriate people at the appropriate studios, so they could see how much (or how little) demand there was for those films. I'm getting really tired of waiting for some of my favorites to be released (Ace In The Hole, anyone?)
Old 08-04-05, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. Calamari
(Ace In The Hole, anyone?)
ACE IN THE HOLE is due out in October from Paramount.
Old 08-04-05, 01:33 AM

In my top 3-5 films of all time if I was forced to make a list. A duties of a man hardboiled flick with the typically great Lee Marvin. Really fantastic use of color and then there is of course its long talked about revolutionary editing technique which sets the film apart stylistically (if the cinematography wasn't enough). Gorgeous and brutal, superb film.
Old 08-04-05, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by cfloyd3
In my top 3-5 films of all time if I was forced to make a list. A duties of a man hardboiled flick with the typically great Lee Marvin. Really fantastic use of color and then there is of course its long talked about revolutionary editing technique which sets the film apart stylistically (if the cinematography wasn't enough). Gorgeous and brutal, superb film.
Hear hear! The film is so idiosyncratic, in fact, that director John Boorman was sent to a psychiatrist by the studio for repeatedly making the walls and furniture of a given set the same colour, since he (supposedly) did it unconsciously.