DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Reviews and Recommendations (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations-8/)
-   -   How is "Point Blank" with Lee Marvin? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations/432811-how-point-blank-lee-marvin.html)

OldBoy 08-02-05 04:33 PM

How is "Point Blank" with Lee Marvin?

I am thinking of picking this up online. Didn't hate Mel Gibson's "Payback" which i know most loathed.

So will I really like this one?

Thanks...

flmfreakcentral 08-02-05 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598
I am thinking of picking this up online. Didn't hate Mel Gibson's "Payback" which i know most loathed.

So will I really like this one?

Thanks...

It's awesome, but less conventional than PAYBACK. Very '60s in terms of design but not a camp-fest like the FLINT pictures. Lee Marvin was ten times the badass Mel Gibson will ever be.

Dawg 08-02-05 08:22 PM

Excellent film. Definitely pick it up. A true Classic.

bdots48 08-03-05 08:12 AM

This film was WAY ahead of its time. Excellent director commentary with a suitably respectful Soderbergh on this dvd,too. And no one has replaced Lee Marvin.

devilpants 08-03-05 03:30 PM

Get it and get the Criterion edition of The Killers and you've got the two best Lee Marvin films ever.

flmfreakcentral 08-03-05 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by devilpants
Get it and get the Criterion edition of The Killers and you've got the two best Lee Marvin films ever.

Then pick up HELL IN THE PACIFIC, THE BIG RED ONE, and PRIME CUT for the other three best.

Lee Marvin was the man.

flixtime 08-03-05 05:19 PM

While I concur that it was ahead of its time and thus holds a spot as influential in film history, I'm not as high on "Point Blank" as the rest of you. Good movie no doubt but not much more than that for me (despite the presence of Angie Dickinson). On the other hand, "The Dirty Dozen", "The Professionals", and some of the others mentioned....I love. How about getting "Emperor of the North" on DVD?

Dr. Calamari 08-04-05 12:17 AM

How about getting "Emperor of the North" on DVD?
Excellent suggestion! I haven't seen Emperor Of The North since it's theatrical release, but I remember it as one of Lee Marvin's best performances.

It's too bad there isn't some way to create some kind of thread that lists films we all want to see on DVD that could be regularly submitted to the appropriate people at the appropriate studios, so they could see how much (or how little) demand there was for those films. I'm getting really tired of waiting for some of my favorites to be released (Ace In The Hole, anyone?)

flmfreakcentral 08-04-05 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. Calamari
(Ace In The Hole, anyone?)

ACE IN THE HOLE is due out in October from Paramount.

cfloyd3 08-04-05 01:33 AM

In my top 3-5 films of all time if I was forced to make a list. A duties of a man hardboiled flick with the typically great Lee Marvin. Really fantastic use of color and then there is of course its long talked about revolutionary editing technique which sets the film apart stylistically (if the cinematography wasn't enough). Gorgeous and brutal, superb film.

flmfreakcentral 08-04-05 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by cfloyd3
In my top 3-5 films of all time if I was forced to make a list. A duties of a man hardboiled flick with the typically great Lee Marvin. Really fantastic use of color and then there is of course its long talked about revolutionary editing technique which sets the film apart stylistically (if the cinematography wasn't enough). Gorgeous and brutal, superb film.

Hear hear! The film is so idiosyncratic, in fact, that director John Boorman was sent to a psychiatrist by the studio for repeatedly making the walls and furniture of a given set the same colour, since he (supposedly) did it unconsciously.