Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

what are some good headphones for watching movies?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-05, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i get home sometimes late from work and i wanna get some head phones so i can watch movies so i dont have to crank the sound way down. does best buy sell any good headphones? and any that emulate or sound like 5.1
Old 06-25-05, 11:33 AM

I've heard that the Pioneer SE-DIR800C are the best surround headphones. They will do Dolby 5.1, DTS, and Prologic II. A friend of mine has these and he says they are truly amazing. Currently I'm saving up to get my own. They're right around $300. Best Buy does not carry them. However, there are several Internet sites that do.
Old 06-25-05, 12:19 PM

thanks i will look into them, how are the sennheiser hd 280 pros, grado sr80, sennheiser hd555 and anyone try the sony mdr-xd400? or should i pass on the sonys?
Old 06-25-05, 04:15 PM

anyone try Sony MDR-DS3000
Old 06-26-05, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Check out headphone.com for some good reviews. Not sure if they've done surround headphones. Sennheiser generally makes the best.
Old 05-24-09, 10:51 PM

Re: what are some good headphones for watching movies?

Does anybody know if any company makes dual 5.1 headphones (2 headphones for one headphone jack)?
Old 05-25-09, 06:48 AM
Cool New Member

No, I have never tryed Sony's MDR-DS3000 headphones.
Old 05-25-09, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by thursdaynighter
Does anybody know if any company makes dual 5.1 headphones (2 headphones for one headphone jack)?
Well, there's certainly adapters for the wire. Don't know that there would have to be special headphones for this. Although in extreme circumstances you might need better amplification.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
Old 05-26-09, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I use Sennheiser HD-595's connected directly to the headphone output of Sony receiver. The receiver can do 2 channel or a simulated surround output. Been pretty happy with the setup. BTW with the open sennheiser phones you will still get plenty of sound into the room (okay if you are separated by walls to the people you are trying to keep the sound from, not okay if they are in the same room).
Old 05-26-09, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've owned a couple pair of Sennheiser (including the HD-280 pros and the 555's mentioned above).

For the less than $100 range, I would again go with the 280 pros.

For a little more, I would like at Audio Technica's ATH-A700 headphones. I bought them for close to $200 (before they were carried anywhere in the States) and thought that was a deal. Looking at Amazon now (now that they do carry them), they are selling at $115 (grumble grumble)... good deal for you!
Old 05-26-09, 06:45 PM

Grado SR60s are amazing for the price ($69.00). The only drawback with them (and most Grados for that matter) is that they are an open-air design, so there can be quite a bit of sound leak if that's a major issue.
Old 05-31-09, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cgray
For a little more, I would like at Audio Technica's ATH-A700 headphones. I bought them for close to $200 (before they were carried anywhere in the States) and thought that was a deal. Looking at Amazon now (now that they do carry them), they are selling at $115 (grumble grumble)... good deal for you!
Ooops, I own the A-900's. Currently $250 at amazon, but I think they can still be imported for the $200 or so I got them for.
Old 05-31-09, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by scott182
Grado SR60s are amazing for the price ($69.00). The only drawback with them (and most Grados for that matter) is that they are an open-air design, so there can be quite a bit of sound leak if that's a major issue.
OP, FYI: the Senn 555's are also open air. HD-280's are closed -- they don't have any active noise canceling but the seal (not uncomfortable tight) keeps out a lot of noise, and with some music on... pretty good passive cancellation.
Old 06-01-09, 02:30 AM

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts

A wonderful pair of closed-air headphones I have are the Denon AH-D2000. If you have the bucks, the higher level D5000 and D7000 are nicer still, but I'm not sure that their higher prices equal to that much better sound.

http://usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3463.asp

Amazon has some good deals on them.

When I have guests over and I don't want to wake other people, but still listen to 5.1 sound, I use a Pioneer TRE-D800 paired with Audio-Technica DCL3000r headphones.

The Pioneer is a wireless transmitter which works great and you can add as many Audio-Technica wirelss headphones as you need. The headphones are of high-quality and sound very good.

Looks like both may have been discontinued, but the newer models can be purchased and they should be even better. (A bit pricey, perhaps, depending upon what you want to spend.)

Check out Audio Cubes:

http://www.audiocubes.com/category/H...+Surround.html