Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

R1 Security Stickers are evil

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-05, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R1 Security Stickers are evil

Anyone else hate these stickers? I mean the sort that are put at the top/bottom of the case preventing you from opening it
When I got Dressed to Kill R1 I tried to be as careful as I could but the chuffing cover art (inside the plastic) was still slightly damaged.

GRRRR.
Can't be arsed to get a replacement for something like that as its not the stores (DVD Pacifics) fault.
Old 05-29-05, 11:39 AM

The stickers I hate more are the ones used DVD stores (Blockbuster, Gamestop, EB Games) put on the case. They are impossible to get off! EB Games in particular is really bad; they use the most permanent labels I've ever seen. It isn't so bad on a regular case because you can just get a new one, but they put the stickers on snapper cases, slipcovers, and special editions too. You can't take them off without damaging the case.
Old 05-29-05, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Shap
The stickers I hate more are the ones used DVD stores (Blockbuster, Gamestop, EB Games) put on the case. They are impossible to get off! EB Games in particular is really bad; they use the most permanent labels I've ever seen. It isn't so bad on a regular case because you can just get a new one, but they put the stickers on snapper cases, slipcovers, and special editions too. You can't take them off without damaging the case.

a little tip an old girlfriend of mine told me/showed me/did for me ...use a blow dryer to remove the sticker... slowly pull up and blow the area you are pealing up... becareful not to melt the plastic though... but it really works like a charm
Old 05-29-05, 01:41 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can use Goo Gone to peel those stickers also. But I agree, EB Games stickers are almost permanent. And as time passes, the yellow coloring of the sticker begins to desintegrate, leaving the case with a yellow gooey mess. Also Blockbusters stickers are just ridiculous to get off.
Old 05-29-05, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nothing makes me happier than removing a security sticker and watching it take off some of the cover with it.
Old 05-29-05, 02:26 PM

I don't run into them taking off some of the packaging too often, but what really bugs me is how they sometimes cause wrinkles on the keepcase.
Old 05-29-05, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Could I send the DVD back (got it from DVD Pacific BTW) if the cover is damaged? Just e-mailed and asked them.
Old 05-29-05, 06:30 PM

All those stickers are annoying, and it's even worse when they actually destroy the cover art.

What I like are the cases that have the two locks on the side, so you don't need security stickers anymore, anyone know what I'm talking about?

What are those called?
Old 05-29-05, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My favorite are the cases that use THREE security labels, one on the top, bottom, and side. I've F'ed up several cases trying to get those damn things off. Now if I have trouble getting one off I have to pull out an exacto-knife and carefully cut down the middle, then pull it off starting in the middle and pulling to the sides.
Old 05-29-05, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SuprVgeta
My favorite are the cases that use THREE security labels, one on the top, bottom, and side. I've F'ed up several cases trying to get those damn things off. Now if I have trouble getting one off I have to pull out an exacto-knife and carefully cut down the middle, then pull it off starting in the middle and pulling to the sides.
a razor blade is the way to go with security stickers.
Old 05-29-05, 10:24 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dabaomb
a razor blade is the way to go with security stickers.
I use a blade to cut the stickers but they are still on the box and I usually tear the cover trying to remove the cut stickers. It seems worse along the top edge but who knows
Old 05-29-05, 10:32 PM
Cool New Member

The new I, Robot 2 Disc special edition's stickers were unbelieveable. They ruined my case because the sticker was so stuck to the plastic case that when you tried to peel an edge off, the plastic came with it. Luckily I exchanged that case with my old Daredevil 2 Disc theatrical cut.

And I've had about 2 or 3 cover arts ruined. But I will admit that there is nothing better than getting a perfect peal off of a security sticker. It's a good feeling
Old 05-29-05, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kklems
I use a blade to cut the stickers but they are still on the box and I usually tear the cover trying to remove the cut stickers. It seems worse along the top edge but who knows
when you slice it down the middle, the part that's not over the coverart shouldn't be sticky. Grab that part and peel from there and they should come right off.
Old 05-30-05, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not as bad as the sticker Dreamworks put on their original release of Shrek. My case is still damaged from that.
Old 05-30-05, 07:24 AM

Grim post it on all forums why dont ya

Strangley the people in shops still manage to nick them, so really it doesnt matter how many stickers they have on them.
Old 05-30-05, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shap
For visual proof of this (this is about EB Games), check out the thread I started in the Store folder:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=421568

Old 05-30-05, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Romerojpg
Grim post it on all forums why dont ya

Strangley the people in shops still manage to nick them, so really it doesnt matter how many stickers they have on them.
Hi Romero
Old 05-30-05, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts
Now if I have trouble getting one off I have to pull out an exacto-knife and carefully cut down the middle, then pull it off starting in the middle and pulling to the sides.
That is exactly what I do. Seems to work like a charm.
Old 05-30-05, 02:32 PM

I've never damaged my cases/inserts as a result of those stickers. They're relatively easy to remove for me, and I have, like, no nails.

When I have a knife available I use that to cut the sticker and then I peel it off. My dad always uses a knife to split the sticker but never removes it!
Old 05-30-05, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
For visual proof of this (this is about EB Games), check out the thread I started in the Store folder:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=421568

I'm assuming you bought this set used. How much did you get it for?
Old 05-30-05, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, it was only $30.09 so it's not like I'm out of my mind pissed that the sticker screwd up the case. For a deal like that I couldn't even let myself get too angry. Other than the cardboard case, the DVD cases and all of the discs were mint.

That said, I hate the stickers. There is no excuse for stores to allow crap like this to happen.
Old 05-30-05, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I do loathe security stickers very, very much. I also hate barcode stickers over the original barcodes, I hate the way it looks so I try to remove them but they never come off easy and wind up looking worse. As far as used DVDs go I wish they'd put the stickers over the shrink-wrap rather than being on the actually dvd case.
Old 05-30-05, 08:08 PM

I have been using lighter fluid to get stickers off of my DVD cases and haven't encountered a problem yet. It works on plastic, of course, as well as the cardboard cases. I have even used it to take price stickers off old LP covers and it always works like a charm.
Old 05-31-05, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I rarely have a problem with stickers. A knife to slit down the middle of security stickers always does the trick. With blockbuster, Game Stop, Movie Gallery, et.al, I just use a bit of "Oops" to take the stickers off. The only problems I tend to run into are those PVD rental stickers that sometimes go on the discs...depending on how the disc art is printed, those usually just don't come off. Another problem is used stickers on digipaks. "Oops" isn't an option since it'll take off the coverart ink along with the sticker.

Biggest problem I've had was with my "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" special edition release. I bought it new, and it came with one of those security stickers ON THE TOP OF THE DIGIPAK. I mean, seriously...why? I peeled it off, and sure enough, it took off quite a bit of coverart from the top spine. Meh.

-JP
Old 05-31-05, 01:43 AM

That's exactly how I do it. Seems to work pretty well, but its annoying that we have to do that to begin with.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.