Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Wireless router questions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-05, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wireless router questions?

I want to get a wireless router to use with my psp and ds. Are most of the ones on the market compatible with the new systems, are there any must have features to look for? Also are there still regular ports aswell, can I hook up my dell notebook that doesn't have a wireless card?

thanks in advance.
Old 05-17-05, 09:35 AM

I can't answer for them working specifically with psp and ds, but I have a cheap little DLink 524 and it works fine with my ps2 and xbox. Most also have 4 wired ports or so for a traditional ethernet connection.
Old 05-17-05, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm probably going to upgrade also to Wireless....anything I should look for?

I currently have my XBOX HardWired into a router. So, if I get a Wireless, I can still go hardwired into the wireless router?

I'm going wireless for XBOX 360 when the time comes...and a laptop in the future and possibly a PSP if I ever get one.
Old 05-17-05, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I'll be forced to go wireless with my Xbox pretty soon, and I was wondering what was the cheapest option for the Xbox adaptor. I already have the router and everything is up and running, but am I going to have to pay over 50 bucks to get my Xbox connected?
Old 05-17-05, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You can still hardwire the xbox to a wireless router, they stll have wired ethernet ports.

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
I'll be forced to go wireless with my Xbox pretty soon, and I was wondering what was the cheapest option for the Xbox adaptor. I already have the router and everything is up and running, but am I going to have to pay over 50 bucks to get my Xbox connected?
I bought a linksys router wrt54g and updated the firmware, then changed some settings to make it a wireless bridge. I now have the computer in my room wired to my linksys which is then connected wirelessly to the router in my living room. I plan on wiring my xbox to the router in my room, so it will also be connected wirelessly.

Here is a how to guide for making the wrt54g a wireless bridge.

http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...&enterthread=y

It did cost around 50 bucks for the router, but atleast I can hook up multiple devices unlike some of the "xbox" wireless adapters.

Last edited by msdmoney; 05-17-05 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-17-05, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I don't really need that. I already have the wireless network in my house setup so I just want to make my Xbox able to connect to the network.
Old 05-17-05, 10:48 AM

Pretty much any wireless ethernet bridge should work, it just plugs into the ethernet port and creates a wireless connection. I got a Netgear ME101 on Ebay for around $40 shipped I believe, and I think Linksys makes one also. The one I have is only 11mbps, but it's good enough for me. There are specific gaming wireless bridges out there, but I don't see how those would be too much of an improvement over a normal bridge, especially considering the increase in price for them. Maybe they do something different to the packets or something, who knows. Chances are your internet connection isn't over 11mbps anyway.
Old 05-17-05, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts
Well, the Xbox specific one was being clearanced at Targets a while ago... otherwise, yeah, get a "normal" bridge, not a "gaming" one, if the latter is more expensive. The only things the gaming one has is it's probably a little easier to setup.

I would also go for Wireless-G (which allows both B and G to connect) instead of a B-only router. Microsoft's own Xbox bridge is a G, after all. Whatever you do, don't buy the Linksys combo A+G router... A doesn't seem to be widely adopted, and the router itself is a piece of junk, with no firmware update for a while. I can't even get port forwarding to work correctly on it...
Old 05-17-05, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
I don't really need that. I already have the wireless network in my house setup so I just want to make my Xbox able to connect to the network.
Yeah if the xbox is the only thing you want to hook up you probably only need the game adapter(single wireless bridge basically), a normal wireless bridge just makes it easier to hook up multiple devices wirelessly