Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Highlander 3 re-issue heads-up.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-05, 08:35 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Highlander 3 re-issue heads-up.

I don't know how many of you know about or even care, but on April 5th, Dimension re-released Highlander: The Final Dimension as a price cut. It's now only ~$10 discounted price. List price is $15.

Anyway, it seems the former OOP version was non-anamorphic. At least that's what every site that still has it listed says. Just says "Widescreen Letterbox - 2.35:1".

Well, I finally got my copy today. Two weeks after it shipped!!! Damn slow Free Shipping from DDD. Anyway, this copy states on the back that it's now 16x9 enhanced but only in 1.85:1 ratio. I quickly checked on-line for the correct ratio and everywhere says that it's 2.35:1. So I pop it in and it is indeed in 2.35:1. So there's a misprint on the package..

The sound is still just in Dolby Surround 2.0, but it's actually a pretty good mix. Pretty strong mix for just 2.0.
Old 04-20-05, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I probably need to get this movie. I own Highlander 2 & 4 but for some reason I've never ever seen the 3rd one. I suppose it can't be any worse than the 2nd. I love the documentary where the director is complaining about how the bond company mucked up the film, and you almost believe him until gets to the end and he talks about how he saved the film by changing the shield color and removing references to the Planet Zeist. Now the movie's perfect!

Too bad the 3rd one didn't get as nice a treatment on DVD as the other 3.
Old 04-20-05, 04:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool...I never picked this up cause I was waiting for an anamorphic transfer...thanks for the heads up!
Old 04-20-05, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
Well, I finally got my copy today. Two weeks after it shipped!!! Damn slow Free Shipping from DDD. Anyway, this copy states on the back that it's now 16x9 enhanced but only in 1.85:1 ratio. I quickly checked on-line for the correct ratio and everywhere says that it's 2.35:1. So I pop it in and it is indeed in 2.35:1. So there's a misprint on the package..

the phrase "16x9 endhanced" or the more common "enhanced for 16x9 TVs" actually has nothing to do with the aspect ratio of the film. it is only telling you it has been transferred to DVD using the anamorphic transfer process. the film can be any ratio it wants (though almost always a widescreen ratio, b/c there is no need to use anamorphic transfer on 4x3 material... there is no benefit).

THORN
Old 04-20-05, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
So the new edition is Anamorphic? Has the cover art changed?
Old 04-20-05, 09:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by THORN
the phrase "16x9 endhanced" or the more common "enhanced for 16x9 TVs" actually has nothing to do with the aspect ratio of the film. it is only telling you it has been transferred to DVD using the anamorphic transfer process. the film can be any ratio it wants (though almost always a widescreen ratio, b/c there is no need to use anamorphic transfer on 4x3 material... there is no benefit).

THORN
No, you missed my point. The back did indeed say 1.85:1 AND 16x9 enchanced. There's no confusion with what 16:9 enhanced means and 1.78:1.

But like I said, the film is indeed in 2.35:1. Not 1.85 as the back states.
Old 04-20-05, 09:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by stingermck
So the new edition is Anamorphic? Has the cover art changed?
Yes it is. The artwork is basically the same, but uses the one IMDb uses for its listing. Gone is the big blue Dimension Widescreen banner across the top.

The transfer isn't all that greatly improved if at all. The image seems to have a bit of a old '70s photo reddish faded hue to it. It's obvious that they need to remaster this one.

Last edited by Mike Lowrey; 04-20-05 at 09:52 AM.
Old 04-20-05, 01:33 PM

So its from DDD and you were not expeting this new version

problem is as I am sure most online companies may still have old stock to offload 1st, so maybe DDD are te only place?
Old 04-20-05, 01:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Romerojpg
So its from DDD and you were not expeting this new version
Actually, I didn't know what I to expect. I did know that the title has been re-issued as of April 5th, but no site had an updated cover shot. DDD has the old one, Amazon doesn't have one at all. DVDEmpire has the old one, and in fact never had the title shown as "out of stock".

problem is as I am sure most online companies may still have old stock to offload 1st, so maybe DDD are te only place?
Well, not sure what what that means, as the original version has been OOP for a while according to DVDAficionado's listing. I even submitted a new entry for this version on DVDAficionado.
Old 04-20-05, 01:52 PM

Hey I didnt know the older version was hard to come by, I thought it was still about

but hope to get the film one day, sure someone will treat it to a special edition one day as hey if they do it for Part 2 they have to do it for 3 as the Sword Making scene and music rule
Old 04-20-05, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
No, you missed my point. The back did indeed say 1.85:1 AND 16x9 enchanced. There's no confusion with what 16:9 enhanced means and 1.78:1.

But like I said, the film is indeed in 2.35:1. Not 1.85 as the back states.

sorry i misunderstood the way u said it ...
Old 04-20-05, 11:18 PM

I bought the 16x9 Highlander 3 almost a year ago. The store actually had both. I bought the one without the "Widescreen" banner on the top. Looks like I bought the right one.