Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Opinions on Doogie Howser, M.D. season 1.

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-05, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Havent decided if I should rent or buy this. Has anyone bought this set? If so what are your opinions on it? Audio/video quality, extras, packaging, etc???
Old 04-16-05, 06:32 AM
ATX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
um, i used to watch the show when i was younger but i think it would be pretty cheesy to me now don't think i'll be buying or renting

i'll probably pick up dynasty s1 and greatest american hero s2 as next tv show purchases
Old 04-16-05, 07:07 AM

I bought Doogie primarily because it was 17.99 at Frys. The episodes themselves hold up surprisingly well although fashion sense on the show is now laughable. The video quality is okay, fairly standard for a TV show, a little better than something like Dream On and a little worse than Oz (using items from your collection). The audio claims to be stereo but it might as well be mono. I could detect no separation on my system (nothing special, just a sony amp with sony speakers). The special feature is a couple interviews. I have not watched the Neil Patrick Harris interview yet, but DVD Talk's Ian Jane said that both interviews are "worth watching." I recommend the set to anyone who remembers enjoying Doogie. It still holds up and it can be found for about $20 for 26 episodes.

Here's a link to the DVD talk review:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=14970
Old 04-16-05, 07:56 AM

thanks and all but that really doesnt answer my question now does it??

Originally Posted by ATX
um, i used to watch the show when i was younger but i think it would be pretty cheesy to me now don't think i'll be buying or renting

i'll probably pick up dynasty s1 and greatest american hero s2 as next tv show purchases
Old 04-16-05, 09:03 AM

I forgot to mention packaging. The set comes with two two-disc slim cases packaged inside the usual flimsy box. The individual cases have episode summaries on the back. The discs are rather plain with a white and blue color scheme and the numbers 1-4 being the principle writing on each disc. There is a six page booklet but sadly it's just a writeup by "Doogie" of what happens in the first season in the style of his journal (with added writing from Vinnie). There aren't episode summaries in the booklet.
Old 04-16-05, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 811 Likes on 600 Posts
I like the set I am only half through it but I like what I have seen so far. The audio/video quality is about average or on par with similar with other shows from this time period. I really like the show it is funnier than I remember. The show holds up well except for as Mhepburn20 said the cheesy fashions of the late 80's early 90's
Old 04-20-05, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you liked the show then I highly recommend getting it. I'm really looking forward to future seasons. I was about Doogie's age when the show originally aired and it really brought back a lot of memories from those days . The audio and video is perfect. The packaging is sturdy and compact. The only extras are interviews with Steven Bochco and Neil Patrick Harris which are interesting.

Anyone else have trouble accessing episode 6 from disc 1? I couldn't get it to play.

Last edited by Samuel; 04-20-05 at 03:16 PM.
Old 04-20-05, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I own it and love every minute of it! Just as good as I remember it being.
Old 04-20-05, 03:02 PM

Finished watching disc 2 last night. The show holds up pretty well and I am really enjoying it. Like everyone else said the a/v quality is about average, I like the slim style packaging because space for me is an issue.
Old 04-20-05, 11:18 PM

Thanks everyone I'll be picking it up