Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Any interest in "The Joy of Painting" Season Sets?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-05, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I caught a rerun on PBS the other day and remembered how much I missed this show, and I wondered why they haven't put them out on DVD yet. I'm sure Bob Ross' estate would be happy to have the shows out there for people to enjoy, not to mention the profit, and there's no music or additional rights to worry about. And besides the typical outlets, they could sell them in art supply stores, so people could watch each episode at their own pace, pausing and rewinding as they painted along.

I'd buy them just as a cure for my insomnia. I don't think I've ever made it through an entire episode without dozing off.
Old 04-09-05, 10:58 AM
Banned

Whatever PBS decided to do, I'm sure it'd just be a "happy accident".
Old 04-09-05, 11:10 AM
Cool New Member

I don't believe they are in season sets, but if you go to bobross.com, it looks like the bulk of the episodes are on dvd. For the most part, each dvd costs 55 and change for 13 episodes.
Old 04-09-05, 01:00 PM

I'd much rather have those PBS painting lessons given by the old German dude with the house brush. He's swabs the house brush in some green, smashes it against the canvas and BAM!

Perfect tree.
Old 04-09-05, 01:58 PM
Banned

Did anybody ever see that Bob Ross parody on that old MTV Half-Hour Comedy Hour show by a comedian who's name I cannot remember.

The bit went something like this: (kind of metaphorically colored and perhaps a bit offensive to some, so I'll spoiler code it)
Spoiler:
"Bob" is going through his routine and as he's painting his trees he starts having flashbacks to Vietnam and so he starts calling his trees a "jungle", then he gets a bit of "Asian Yellow" and paints a VC behind a bush, then he gets some "Agent Orange" and "Napalm Brown" and drops it on him.

Hilarious stuff, relatively speaking.
Old 04-09-05, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by WafflePower
I don't believe they are in season sets, but if you go to bobross.com, it looks like the bulk of the episodes are on dvd. For the most part, each dvd costs 55 and change for 13 episodes.
Thanks, I should have thought to look there first.

Still, it's a little like the Discovery Channel charging $30 for episodes of AMERICAN CHOPPER through a 1-800 number only to eventually release the entire season in stores for the same price. $1700 is crazy expensive, even if it is for 400 episodes. That breaks down to roughly what HBO charges for their 1 hour drama sets.
Old 04-09-05, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

my friend smoked weed with Bob Ross while his show was on PBS.

the other painter guy with the accent is William Alexander, i believe. fire in that yellow.
Old 04-09-05, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mexican Menace
I'd much rather have those PBS painting lessons given by the old German dude with the house brush. He's swabs the house brush in some green, smashes it against the canvas and BAM!

Perfect tree.
Get Patton Oswalt's CD "Feelin' Kinda Patton." It's worth the price just for the bit he does about the German guy. I almost had to pull over to the side of the road, I was laughing so hard.
Old 04-10-05, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
Did anybody ever see that Bob Ross parody on that old MTV Half-Hour Comedy Hour show by a comedian who's name I cannot remember.
I don't remember the one you were referring to, but I do remember "Joy of Tattooing" from Hardcore TV. It may have also been on the MTV show because I remember them (HHCH) showing one of the "This Old House" parodies (can't remember if it was "This Old Whore House" or "This Old House Party") and "Raging Bullwinkle" from Hardcore TV.
Old 04-10-05, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by Mexican Menace

Perfect tree.
"And den veel put a liddle liddle liddle haus ova hea."
Old 04-11-05, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Happy Trees rule all.
Old 04-11-05, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
for a thread about painting...so little pictures

Old 04-11-05, 12:00 PM

I don't remember the one you were referring to, but I do remember "Joy of Tattooing" from Hardcore TV.
(while tatooing a hot chick's rear): "That's a happy little butt."

I'd love to see Hardcore TV come out!