Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Never Again - A Movie For Old Romantics

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-05, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I carefully did a search for the movie I just watched called Never Again and there wasn't a review for it. I thought "that figures, it's a movie I liked" and if there is anyone on the planet that knows more about movies for "old romantics" it's moi.

The movie stars Jeffrey Tambor and Jill Clayburgh and the premise is "two jaded New Yorkers have pledged to never love again, but that was before they met each other". Never Again was made in 2001 and runs 98 colorful minutes. I rented it from Blockbuster and I'm probably going to buy a copy for myself even if I never watch it again just so I can watch it again if I want to. (Isn't that pretty much why all of us buy DVDs?)

Also in the movie was Michael McKean and Sandy Duncan. I didn't recognize Ms. Duncan at all! Finally she got a look that struck a memory cord and I thought "wow, she looks good, just not like she used to" and then I felt like a meanie for even thinking that.

The film is rated "R" for strong sexual content including graphic dialogue, and language. Lots of use of the "F" word and every use had a valid purpose in the dialogue. There is no nudity, I mean, come on, who'd want to see either Mr. Tambor or Ms. Clayburgh nude? And it seems to me that true romances transcends graphic presentations of male and female pubic hairs entertwined. Not wanting to spoil the action for the one or possibly two among you that might actually rush out and rent this film, I'll just say that Ms. Clayburgh has some scenes with some latex items that had me rolling around on the floor with tears in my eyes from laughing. Those scenes alone were worth the $4 rental fee!

I wish there were more romance movies like Never Again, but then again, I'd rather chance upon a rare jewel among the Blockbuster shelves and feel as if I'd won some sort of victory by being clever enough to unearth it and would most likely not appreciate it as much if it weren't truly rare. That makes perfect sense to me..... even if it does read weird.

There are no extras, darnit. There is a scene selector dealie so I could go back and listen to the more intense dialogue again to be sure it was as profound as I thought, but that's it, none of the cool things that make you want to linger over the menu button.

If you are old and looking for a film with romance, rent this one as a treat for yourself. Enjoy!

BTW, another film I really, really enjoyed was The Third Wheel. I liked it so much I ordered my own copy! Check it out when you get the time.

Last edited by Texasgingersnap; 03-10-05 at 12:08 PM.
Old 03-11-05, 02:28 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

This is my favorite review of the movie: Modamag.com
Old 03-11-05, 06:37 PM

OUCH. It's almost as if he saw an entirely different movie than me, huh?

Well, God love 'em, critics have their place, but luckily folks can still make up their own minds about what's good or what touches a cord in their own experiences.

Thanks for pointing me in that direction.....I never read any reviews except from DVD Talk...so I'd of never seen it on my own.....even if I don't agree with the dude....

Have a great weekend....
Old 03-12-05, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Texasgingersnap
I carefully did a search for the movie I just watched called Never Again
and there wasn't a review for it...
...really...?...

. . . . . .
Old 03-12-05, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Texasgingersnap
...BTW, another film I really, really enjoyed was The Third Wheel. I liked it so much I ordered my own copy! Check it out when you get the time.
...really...?...

. . . . . .
Old 03-12-05, 12:00 PM

"Really" is a really good word..... I use it all the time, honest..... And from East Texas (where I'm originally from), two "reallys" make more of an impact that just one plain, unvarnished "really".....

Thanks for noticing.... it was really nice of you to read what I had to say too.....

Old 03-13-05, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for taking the time to review the DVD for user on this forum.
Old 03-14-05, 09:16 AM

Ah, shucks, Iron Giant, thanks, but.... it wasn't really a review, not like Holly can whip up... but I read this forum when I'm in the "market" for a good movie and I couldn't resist the chance to pass on one I thought worth watching..... with the clear understanding that it's not a movie for all tastes, etc. (all the usual disclaimers apply) ..... thanks for the thanks .....