Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Same movie, one says "rent it", the other "DVD Collector"

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 03-08-05, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The movie is reservoir dogs SE which was reviewed here a while back. Why there is such a big discrepancy?
Old 03-08-05, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,875 Likes on 1,235 Posts
Read the reviews instead of just looking at the summary, and I'm sure you'll find the answer.
Old 03-08-05, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Read the reviews instead of just looking at the summary, and I'm sure you'll find the answer.
I read the whole thing but here's my point:
D.K.Holm says" VIDEO: The re-mastered widescreen image (2.35:1), enhanced for widescreen televisions, on a single-sided, dual-layered disc (SS-DL), is a vast improvement over the previous barebones Artisan disc. It is sharper, with much less grain (some have criticized it for being washed out, however). The second disc offers the film in a 4:3 full-screen transfer.
SOUND: Audio is excellent with both DTS (English) and Dolby Digital 5.1 (English), plus DD 2.0, and on the second disc's full-frame version a DD 2.0 track, and Spanish subtitles (this set drops the English subtitles, but close captioning is available)."

V.S
Aeron says" VIDEO: "Reservoir Dogs" is presented in 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen on this new edition from Artisan Entertainment. However, the new, "remastered" presentation is rather disapointing. The print used looks excellent, as rarely are specks or other marks noticed. Edge enhancement, while occasionally visible, is kept to a bare minimum. Although some artifacts are visible, they remain minor and don't cause much distraction.

However, for some reason, this new edition of the movie appears considerably washed out and different that I've ever seen the film look. Certainly, "Reservoir Dogs" is a movie with a subdued appearance, but this seemed too much. Previous editions I've seen of the film offer more vivid colors than this presentation does and even boast somewhat better sharpness and detail than this release does.
SOUND: "Reservoir Dogs" was not presented in 5.1 theatrically, but this new DVD edition offers a remixed Dolby Digital 5.1 presentation and, in addition, a DTS 5.1 edition of the soundtrack. The original 2.0 soundtrack is also available. Given that this film was not presented in 5.1 theatrically and is largely dialogue-driven picture, I wasn't really expecting a great deal."
Old 03-08-05, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tvuong

I read the whole thing but here's my point:
Seems like you already have your answer.

das
Old 03-08-05, 02:04 PM

Which review should I go by? I always read the review of a movie before buying it. I mainly concern about a movie picture and sound rather than its content because when I want to buy a movie, I must like the movie itself already, and just want to know if picture and sound are any good.
Old 03-08-05, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As stated, this DVD caused a lot of controversy when it was released. The picture is sharper than the previous edition and looks 'better'... but it looks VERY washed out, and it has a green haze over every scene. It was suspected that someone did an improper color correction on the disc.

Some people either didn't notice this or decided to live with it (because of the extras in this set), but many were -- and still are -- awaiting a fixed edition.
Old 03-08-05, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by das Monkey
Seems like you already have your answer.

das
No, I don't. That is why I ask?
Old 03-08-05, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's cheap, can be easily found for around $10 (unlike the old edition that's OOP)... I say buy it. The picture doesn't bother me at all, and it's not like it's Star Wars and meant to look amazing.
Old 03-08-05, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tvuong

No, I don't. That is why I ask?
You just posted the answer to your own question.

One reviewer thought the video was washed out and very disappointing, and the other thought it was sharper with much less grain and didn't care about it being washed out. Combine that with the fact that the second reviewer seems to think the film is a masterpiece, while the first just thinks it's really good, and that is why there is such a big discrepancy.

Perhaps I'm not understanding your question.

das
Old 03-08-05, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There used to be a HUGE thread on this DVD over in talk, if you wanna try a search.

The SE does look "washed out" for lack of a better term, the contrast seems a little off and the blacks are a little on the light end of the spectrum. That said, the transfer is anamorphic (where as the previous edition was not), the soundtrack is solid and it has decent extras. Personally, I'm fine with it and definitely prefer the SE over the first release. "Collector's Series", eh, I dunno... Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 03-08-05, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Reviews aren't copied out of a book. Each person gives their own opinion. Neither one is correct (or incorrect). When you're in this situation, you probably need to check out a wider range of reviews to get a better picture. You also need to learn to read between the lines.

If all else fails, rent it. If you like it, buy it. Then you're only out the price of a rental. If you buy it first and don't like it, you're out the full purchase price. But really, you should learn how to properly read reviews and then filter it through your own knowledge and experience. Because it sounds like you're just sitting around waiting for someone to make your decision for you.
Old 03-08-05, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 180 Posts
I'll make the call

This is the correct review:

Aeron says" VIDEO: "Reservoir Dogs" is presented in 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen on this new edition from Artisan Entertainment. However, the new, "remastered" presentation is rather disapointing. The print used looks excellent, as rarely are specks or other marks noticed. Edge enhancement, while occasionally visible, is kept to a bare minimum. Although some artifacts are visible, they remain minor and don't cause much distraction.

However, for some reason, this new edition of the movie appears considerably washed out and different that I've ever seen the film look. Certainly, "Reservoir Dogs" is a movie with a subdued appearance, but this seemed too much. Previous editions I've seen of the film offer more vivid colors than this presentation does and even boast somewhat better sharpness and detail than this release does.
Yes yes, everyone has their own opinion, but some opinions are better informed than others.

The Reservoir Dogs SE transfer is very disappointing. Plus, the movie is missing a couple of lines of dialogue. Unacceptable.
Old 03-08-05, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by MEJHarrison
But really, you should learn how to properly read reviews and then filter it through your own knowledge and experience. Because it sounds like you're just sitting around waiting for someone to make your decision for you.
I do not rent movie and bought most of my DVDs based on reviews here and other review forums and have not been disappointed yet. I though that what these review forums are for? are they not?
Old 03-09-05, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...erm... NO!...

. . . . . .
Old 03-13-05, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Z
The Reservoir Dogs SE transfer is very disappointing. Plus, the movie is missing a couple of lines of dialogue. Unacceptable.
That's pretty much my view too.

I hated the transfer so much, I returned the SE to the retailer for a refund and bought the previous UK Region 2 release, which has no omissions in dialogue and features a vastly superior image (which is also anamorphic).
Old 03-14-05, 10:54 AM
Cool New Member

I also didn't care for the transfer. If you are a fan buy it anyway otherwise rent it.