Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Forgotten - Special Features: Where Are They?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-05, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question to those who own The Forgotten on DVD.

Ok, so I finish watching the movie, and I want to see the director's extended cut. Watch that.

Now I look for special features, which they have a section for. However, the only special feature my dvd has access to is the Director and Writer Commentary. This is what it says.

Special Features

Theatrical Version Commentary
By Director Joseph Ruben And
Writer Gerald DiPego
ON OFF

PLAY MOVIE MAIN MENU

The back of the dvd mentions there's a "making of" featurette, deleted scenes, and "Remembering the Forgotten"-- A Depper Look into making the film.

But...where the hell are these? There's no options in the special features section to access these. I also rented a copy, just to make sure this wasn't just my dvd, and it only had that one special feature, as well.

Any suggestions?
Old 01-25-05, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
Maybe they forgotten to include them?

Thank you... I'm here all week. Try the trout.

Old 01-25-05, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Umm, there is an arrow under the commentary option to access more feature...
Old 01-25-05, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
I noticed this was a difficult disc to navigate too. I couldn't see the special features other than the commentary until I selected the theatrical version. I also wanted to compare the two versions but it was difficult to get back to the screen where you select theatrical or extended versions once you'd selected one.
Old 01-25-05, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TomOpus

Damnit, I was going to post something almost identical....
Old 01-25-05, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by TomOpus

I prefer my fish raw. Not sure if they serve trout raw, since I've never see it on the menu at any of the sushi bars I've gone to.

Oh, and you're welcome for setting you up for that one.
Old 01-25-05, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by jmj713
Umm, there is an arrow under the commentary option to access more feature...
Umm, thanks, Beavis.

For some reason, whenever I scrolled down to the bottom of the screen, it would take me to what was underneath the arrow, which was two other options (but none to access other features).

I guess I wa clicking the down button too quick, since it took me to those two options, and not the arrow. Whenever I saw that, I just thought it was to return to the previous menu.

Anyway, I patiently, and sure-handedly, clicked on the arrow, and ... voila! ... more special features.

So, thanks again for the 411.
Old 01-25-05, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Eddie W
I noticed this was a difficult disc to navigate too. I couldn't see the special features other than the commentary until I selected the theatrical version. I also wanted to compare the two versions but it was difficult to get back to the screen where you select theatrical or extended versions once you'd selected one.
It was tough for me, at first, also.

Then, I remembered that the option to click "theatrical" or "extended" came after you clicked "Play Movie".

Once there, it gives you another option to select which version. It does this every time.

At first, I was expecting to see the two viewing options right away when I clicked the "menu" button on my remote.

So, hopefully that solves that puzzle for you. LMK if it's ok after that.
Old 01-25-05, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by SlingshotBandit
Umm, thanks, Beavis..
LOL !! Shot lukewarm Pepsi right outta my nose with that one....heh
Old 01-25-05, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

did anyone else have trouble with the extended version? several times while watching; the film kind of jumped or paused, like a bad layer change and I thought that might have something to do with the extended scenes, but I have other dvds with 2 versions of a movie and I've never had anything like that happen. the added scenes on my other dvds were seemless, so I don't know if it's a bad disc or not. thanks.
Old 01-25-05, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
It's not a bad disc. It stutters before the new scenes and right after.

These are:
Sinise calls Telly's husband
Telly and the other guy start kissing in bed
She is running after...something...near the end

I like the theatrical ending a lot better, more intense.
Old 01-28-05, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What is the difference in the endings?
Old 01-29-05, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
The difference in the endings, don't read unless you have seen the movie or don't care to have it spoiled!

Spoiler:
Basically, the endings split when Telly goes into the warehouse alone and sees the "alien" for the first time. After she begins running after her son, the endings change. In the alternate ending, she chases her son and sees him in his room. The alien guy comes up and tells her stuff about the experiment. She tries to go to her kid but keeps getting knocked down by some force field. One shot of this is in the trailer, as she jumps across the "room" and it looks like lightning. She nearly kills herself doing this and the alien tells her she doesn't have to die, then the room and her son vanish and she is on the ground. He then tries to erase her memory but she holds out and he tells her something to the extent of "you are the only one who'll know." It then goes to the park from the main ending and she finds her kid, etc. The only diff. here is she that she goes to her son's room first and later sees the alien in the park walk away. This ending isn't as good imo, as the alien almost seems friendlier. In the theatrical, after she runs she goes all over, the alien pops up in a few jump scenes, breaks the glass, screams, etc. She sees visions of her son and he begins wiping them. This is basically the same as before but when she resists, aka remembers a memory of her pregnancy, the alien realizes she has won. He then says that he nees more time and is ripped into the sky.
Hope this ridiculously long explanation helps. I liked the theatrical better, because it kept a more menacing tone and was more suspenseful.

Last edited by Willh51; 01-29-05 at 09:59 AM.
Old 01-29-05, 11:37 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
This was a suprisingly good flick, kept me glued throughout the movie.
Old 01-29-05, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What Willh51 said.

Good breakdown of the two endings, btw.
Old 02-01-05, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

[QUOTE=Willh51]It's not a bad disc. It stutters before the new scenes and right after.

QUOTE]

I read a review here and it said the changes were seemless. I certainly didn't think they were anything close to seemless and you claim a stutter is normal. Is that what seemless is meant to be like or could the stutter-thing be something that is actually not meant to happen? Thanks.
Old 02-01-05, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

[QUOTE=Willh51]It's not a bad disc. It stutters before the new scenes and right after.

QUOTE]

I read a review here and it said the changes were seemless. I certainly didn't think they were anything close to seemless and you claim a stutter is normal. Is that what seemless is meant to be like or could the stutter-thing be something that is actually not meant to happen? Thanks.

Good film either way. Glad I ignored all the bad reviews of the film when it came out.
Old 02-01-05, 08:42 AM

It was superb, actually threw me back a few times from my chair, but the end disappointed me to the point of ruining the movie
Old 02-01-05, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
did anyone else have trouble with the extended version? several times while watching; the film kind of jumped or paused, like a bad layer change and I thought that might have something to do with the extended scenes, but I have other dvds with 2 versions of a movie and I've never had anything like that happen. the added scenes on my other dvds were seemless, so I don't know if it's a bad disc or not. thanks.
I'm glad someone brought this up. I had the same problem on the extended version. I just assumed it was due to poor editing in the added scenes.