FOX Blurs Cartoon Rear End on FCC Worries

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-05, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FOX Blurs Cartoon Rear End on FCC Worries

Fox Blurs Cartoon Rear End on FCC Worries

Mon Jan 17, 6:00 PM ET

LOS ANGELES - Fox says it covered up the naked rear end of a cartoon character recently because of nervousness over what the Federal Communications Commission (news - web sites) will find objectionable.

The latest example of TV network self-censorship because of FCC (news - web sites) concerns came a few weeks ago during a rerun of a "Family Guy" cartoon. Fox electronically blurred a character's posterior, even though the image was seen five years ago when the episode originally aired.

"We have to be checking and second-guessing ourselves now," Fox entertainment president Gail Berman said Monday. "We have to protect our affiliates."

Fox hadn't gotten any complaints about the cartoon. But the move follows the FCC's decision in October to fine 169 Fox stations $7,000 each for airing an episode of "Married By America" that showed people licking whipped cream from strippers' bodies and a man in his underwear being spanked by strippers.

"It's certainly confusing when you have to do something like that," Berman said. "It's just that we were trying to find our way and do what's responsible."

At PBS, executives said this weekend they will edit out a glimpse of a naked woman in a fictional account of a terrorist "dirty bomb" attack that will air next month after being shown first on HBO.

LINK

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Enough is enough. I mean, REALLY!
Old 01-17-05, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What's weird is they did not blur out Moe's ass on the Simpsons last night.
Old 01-17-05, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by BlackCapTen
What's weird is they did not blur out Moe's ass on the Simpsons last night.
That's what I thought of right away too. Kinda makes me nervous about what we'll see/not see in the future Family Guy episodes.
Old 01-17-05, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My wife said she read an article that quoted some people with the Parents' Television Council saying they can't wait for the new season of FG so they can start sending in complaints.
Old 01-17-05, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Last night they didn't blur-out Peter's butt, here in L.A.

It was the episode where Peter is nude at the gas station and he says, " I'm gonna get a soda, does anybody want a soda ". He walks in naked and runs into Meg's friend and brings him to the car.
Old 01-17-05, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 607 Likes on 351 Posts
Originally Posted by WildcatLH
My wife said she read an article that quoted some people with the Parents' Television Council saying they can't wait for the new season of FG so they can start sending in complaints.
Are these the same wackos that used to play records backwards because they were so sure there were satanic messages hidden on them? Good God, people!!
Old 01-17-05, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 234 Likes on 138 Posts
Nah, but they are responsible for about 99% of all complaints the FCC received in the last year. (Non-Janet's boob.)
Old 01-17-05, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I guess they're just covering their asses.

Old 01-18-05, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
I guess they're just covering their asses.

That was soo bad, I couldn't help but laugh!
Old 01-18-05, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

In relation to the PBS thing, I have heard that the different broadcast stations are pressuring the FCC to actually define what is indecent instead of being so vague. I also read that the FCC is now receiving quite a few complaints about the FCC fining so much and trying to impose their morals on television. Hopefully the FCC will find a more sane way to approach their supposed moral duty to keep television clean.
Old 01-18-05, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dstrauss
Nah, but they are responsible for about 99% of all complaints the FCC received in the last year. (Non-Janet's boob.)
Actually, it was higher than that. According to the FCC it was 99.8 percent.
Old 01-18-05, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by WildcatLH
I'm ok with people wanting to protect their children but with some people are just plain crazy. I think reality TV is ruining TV and causing more problems than anything on FG but I don't write to anyone. I just bitch to my friends about it and mention it on my blog on occasion.

Kinda makes me wish that Family Guy was on something like HBO or Showtime. Then I wouldn't have to worry about people trying to ruin the one show that will cause me to start watching TV again.
Old 01-18-05, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If Fox is going to push this, FG is essentially history. The entire reason the series became so popular is crass humor and somewhat adult content. I was thinking that perhaps in this day and age, they might be doing two versions of episodes, televised and DVD. But it simply wouldn't work. A lot of the previous FG's core plots would have had to been altered significantly.

I haven't been watching these reruns, but has been Fox going with safer episodes or have they aired some of the more controversial ones? Might be a decent judge at how much or little they plan on interfering.

Last edited by coladar; 01-18-05 at 03:16 AM.
Old 01-18-05, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Blame those 4 people that are complaining to the FCC.
Old 01-18-05, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
"Hey, Homey, I can see your doodle!"
Old 01-18-05, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by darqleo
Fox Blurs Cartoon Rear End on FCC Worries
Old 01-18-05, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts
Uncovered cartoon ass cheeks make baby Jesus cry. Thank goodness someone is thinking of the children. Thank you, PTC and FCC.
Old 01-18-05, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
I know it's not going to be a popular move, but for me it actually makes it a bit funnier anyway, like when they pixilated the character "Brian's" man-boobs on the original "Joe Schmo Show." I must have laughed for five minutes on that one, and still chuckle a bit thinking about it now.
Old 01-18-05, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We should all start issuing complaints to the PTC.