Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need recommendation: Best sub-$100 DVD player from Amazon.com

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-04, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

For Christmas, I want to get some family members DVD players, and I'd like to keep them right around $100 (preferably under) if I can.

Here's the only requirements:

1. I want a VERY EASY to hook up and USE player. These family members aren't technical or enthusiests at all.

2. It doesn't have to have any "fancy" features like DTS, progressive scan, DIVX playback or anything. I would like it to be able to read DVD-Rs though as we have some home movies on them.

3. I'd prefer a name-brand as I bought them a non-name brand a few years ago, and they fell apart right away.

4. A DVD/VCR combo unit would be nice, but not essential.

Thank you!

Last edited by JuryDuty; 12-08-04 at 03:45 PM.
Old 12-08-04, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

P.S. After a bit of research, I'm impressed with the Philips DVP642 ($64) and the Panasonic DVD-S27K ($74). Any thoughts on these players or others would be appreciated.

Last edited by JuryDuty; 12-08-04 at 04:00 PM.
Old 12-09-04, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For what it's worth, when I was looking for some those are the two I came up with also. I have no experience with either though.
Old 12-09-04, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, they both seem pretty good. I ended up going with the Panasonic since I need it by Christmas. Seems to be a good, solid player with Progressive scan, and the reviews say the remote is easy, which is a plus. Thanks!
Old 12-09-04, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Taken from one of Amazon's reviews...

I recently bought my first DVD player. Close friends(whose judgment I trust) warned me of all the perils and problems with DVD players and discs. Diminished availability of new VHS product forced my hand and I bought a DVD player(Toshiba SD-3960).
I can't believe the advice of some of these "friends".
Old 12-11-04, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The amazon reviews on the Phillips don't look very good for playing normal DVDs. Can anyone confirm this? I'm looking for an inexpensive player to put in the basement too. Of course none of the cheap ones seem to be very good on the progressive scan end of things too.
Old 12-13-04, 04:57 PM
Rob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I found the Toshiba SD-3960 on sale at Best Buy this week for $49 with free shipping. I'm getting one for my parents who have yet to own a DVD player. Since I also have to purchase an RCA to coax adapter, since their TV only has a coax input, I'm not too concerned about quality. This has progressive scan (don't need it for them), plays MP3s, and also has a jpeg viewer. Not rated quite as high as the Panasonic on Consumer Reports, but still got an Excellent. For 1/3 less, it's my choice.