Nintendo moving into online within 3 to 4 years - Miyamoto

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-04, 11:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nintendo moving into online within 3 to 4 years - Miyamoto

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=5666

Rob Fahey 10:56 26/11/2004

DS to go online "sooner than we think," claims Nintendo's top designer

Comments attributed to Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto in this week's Famitsu magazine indicate that the company is planning to bring its systems online within a three to four year timescale, with DS leading the way.

Miyamoto, credited as the design genius behind key Nintendo franchises including Zelda and Mario, told the magazine that online gaming will reach the mainstream within three to four years, and that Nintendo will be moving in that direction as a result.

In the current generation of console hardware, only Nintendo has shied away from providing online gaming services on their system - arguing that online play is not of interest to the majority of consumers as yet.

However, a translation of Miyamoto's comments in Famitsu which has been posted on the Internet reveals that he expects the Nintendo DS to get online games in the near future, which would lead Nintendo's movement into the online space.

DS online functionality would presumably use the system's wireless LAN capabilities to hook up to the Internet. At present, these functions can be used to communicate between DS units for wireless multiplayer or chat.

Intriguingly, Miyamoto implied that Nintendo is working with Square Enix on developing the online system for the DS. Square Enix formerly developed the PlayOnline system for the PlayStation 2, which was used as a launcher for Final Fantasy XI but had the capability to be used as a more comprehensive online gaming system.

Square Enix has confirmed that it is working on titles for the Nintendo DS, with a handheld version of its GameCube multiplayer RPG title, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, expected to launch next year. As yet the publisher hasn't commented on the possibility of this title having online functionality.

Elsewhere in the interview, Miyamoto also confirmed that a new Mario title, which is still being called Mario 128, is still in development for the GameCube - not for the company's next-generation Revolution console, as had been rumoured previously.

He also mentioned that Nintendo is working with "strong allies" to create a new Pokemon title for the Cube, but could not reveal further details of what this title would be.

Source: Famitsu Weekly via the GameSpot Forums

Chris
Old 11-26-04, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,013 Likes on 1,559 Posts
Cool, can't wait to see what my DS can do...

The Mario news is a bit puzzling, though... a new Mario game in development for the Gamecube that has had no buzz in magazines or online sites? When are they planning on releasing their new system? Seems odd that they wouldn't already be transferring resources, though I have no idea how long the development cycle is at Nintendo...

And where's my (Gamecube) Animal Crossing 2, then???
Old 11-26-04, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
3-4 years? Uh okay. Good to see Nintendo is keeping up with things I guess.
Old 11-26-04, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by darkside
Old 11-26-04, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by darkside
No kidding
Old 11-26-04, 03:00 PM
Retired

They're waiting until it's profitable. They're not doing all that well financially as is, and can't afford to throw tons of money down the tubes ala MS with X-box live.

As for the Mario game not being hyped yet, Nintendo said they won't launch they're next system until Sony launches the PS3 (neither company gives a shit when MS comes out with the X-box 2) and it looks like sony isn' t planning on launching that until late 2006.

So you'll probably see them start hyping the new Zelda game soon, and once that's released start hyping the new Mario game.