Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Grudge or Saw?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-04, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Grudge or Saw?

My wife and I want to go catch a good scary film tomorrow night but can't decide between Grudge and Saw.

Without giving the plot away I could use some advice.
Old 11-01-04, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While neither are very good, Saw is at least watchable. The Grudge was simply a waste of $8.

K
Old 11-01-04, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just see both. I wouldn't let anyones opinion here make me decide to see anything.
Old 11-01-04, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Both are weak, but very different Horror Movies:

The Grudge is an atmospheric Horror Film with a lot of cheap scare moments. A cursed ghost movie.

Saw is a twisted and demented kind of Horror Film with some gruesome moments. A sick serial killer movie.

So go based on which type of horror movie appeals to you most.
Old 11-01-04, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 206 Likes on 159 Posts
I just did a poll on this very topic this past Friday!

My recommendation is that Saw might be better for a non-crowd night. I saw Grudge myself, but it was with a mostly full theater and the audience was into it with the scares.
Old 11-01-04, 10:03 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
even though Cary Elwes is terribly miscast in Saw it is definately superior to The Grudge. The ending of SAW had my hairs on my neck stand straight up... I honestly did not see that ending coming up - Wow - unfreaking believable

Last edited by Giles; 11-01-04 at 02:01 PM.
Old 11-01-04, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
And you needed to hide that last sentence why?
Old 11-01-04, 02:01 PM

oh I don't know why...
Old 11-01-04, 02:41 PM
Banned

Seen both over the weekend and I really likedSaw because it played with my mind. The Grudge was almost unwatchable, I kept looking at my watch wanting this Ring-lookalike to end. Also, Grudge was PG-13 making it a movie theatre packed with 100 screaming 11 year olds and with Saw they checked my ID 3 different times but it was okay because it kept all those little bastards out of Saw. While Saw did have some WTF moments it kept me interested and leaving the theatre not feeling like I was cheated.
The Grudge < Gigli
Old 11-01-04, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by dhmac
[B]Saw... A sick serial killer movie.
Okay, have you seen the movie?

'Jigsaw' is NOT a serial killer. Ill borrow this directly from CNN's review no one has ever died by his/her hand. Instead he/she forces his/her prey to find out how far they will go, how much blood they will shed, how many people they will hurt, to stay alive.

I went and saw this on Saturday with a friend that had seen The Grudge the week earlier. She thought The Grudge was so bad that it was funny, but we both enjoyed Saw.

And I only found out today that it was orginally rated NC-17, it was recut and then submitted again to the MPAA. The DVD should be interesting.
Old 11-01-04, 07:11 PM

Originally posted by retihsuhnt
Okay, have you seen the movie?

'Jigsaw' is NOT a serial killer. Ill borrow this directly from CNN's review no one has ever died by his/her hand. Instead he/she forces his/her prey to find out how far they will go, how much blood they will shed, how many people they will hurt, to stay alive.
While certainly a line from the movie, the person would be considered a serial killer by any definition. If I lock a guy in a room and he dies of thrist, would I only get a kidnapping wrap? Shoot, the unibomber isn't a killer since the victems were actually the ones who set off the bombs!
Old 11-01-04, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Having seen Saw and having not seen The Grudge, I would recommend The Grudge...the acting in Saw was so horrible at times that the audience was literally laughing out loud.

It seemed like they started with a neat idea, but didn't know how to pull it all together
Old 11-01-04, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Grudge was decent. Great to bring a date with. Scared mine.

Saw was very decent. The blood looked very nice. The movie was filmed excellently and the ending was awesome. The only thing against it was the acting.
Old 11-02-04, 12:07 AM

I'd vote for the Grudge. Saw was awful.

Originally posted by Giles
I honestly did not see that ending coming up - Wow - unfreaking believable
Using Ebert's law of "Conservation of Characters" or whatever he calls it, I thought the ending seemed pretty boring and predictable.

And no, I'm not one of those guys who always say "I saw that coming". In fact, I hardly EVER see it coming.
Old 11-02-04, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Verbal Gorilla
While certainly a line from the movie, the person would be considered a serial killer by any definition.
This is going to go nowhere, so lets just agree to disagree.
Old 11-02-04, 10:36 AM

And I only found out today that it was orginally rated NC-17, it was recut and then submitted again to the MPAA. The DVD should be interesting.
remember this is Lions Gate, they didn't restore the NC-17 material for House of 1,000 Corpses or The Rules of Attraction, so I ain't holding my breath. Maybe with the current OTT marketing trend of "unrated" DVDs let's hope Lions Gate will relent and give us the grue.
Old 11-02-04, 03:15 PM

This is going to go nowhere, so lets just agree to disagree.
I don't agree to that.