Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Elmer Gantry

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-04, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Elmer Gantry

Is this a good movie?

First heard of it today.
Old 10-27-04, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Great movie, with Oscar winning performance by Burt Lancaster. This movie was quite controversial in its day, tackling the subject of religeous hypocrisy. Solid drama that manages to have some very funny moments and many memorable scenes.
Old 10-27-04, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Excellent movie although it covered only a rather small part of the book. Shirley Jones (yes, that Shirley Jones) won the Best Supporting Actress Academy Award.
Old 10-28-04, 05:09 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's sort of like the Monorail episode of the Simpsons...but non-musical and....well, let's just forget the comparison...

Burt Lancaster is awesome in this. I viewed it about a month ago and came out of it satisfied.

Storywise it's not perfect. Some things didn't sit right with me and the ending along with some of the "miracles" were odd. I've never read the source material but it definitely lends itself to deeper discussion.
Old 10-29-04, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
This is a fantastic film. It's the movie that made me a fan of Burt Lancaster. I'd always lumped him in a group with all the other boring, 50's, leading men, but I couldn't have been more wrong. He gives one of the most energized & charismatic performances I've ever seen.

Then I saw Sweet Smell Of Success - even better film.