Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

XBL Update to Star Wars Battlefront

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-04, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
XBL Update to Star Wars Battlefront

There was a Live update last night for Battlefront and it seemed to help... my session last night was far less buggy and seemed much tighter. I was considering getting rid of the game, but if they can fix the horriffic net code and make it playable, I'll hang on to it. It'll make you download the next time you log in with Battlefront.

Thought I'd give a heads up in a new thread since the other one was several pages... mods feel free to merge it if it's too much clutter.
Old 09-30-04, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts
I don't know if update had anything to do with it but I had no problem getting into several Battlefront games last night. Considering the days when I couldn't join any games, I also wondered if it was just the fact that no one was on due to server overload.
Old 09-30-04, 09:19 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks.. Haven't played in a few days. I'll have to load it up tonight and let the download come in.
Old 09-30-04, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm kind of new to XBox Live. Last night when I tried to get on Battlefront, it wouldn't let me online and said that XBL had to be updated. It then downloaded the update, restarted the game, and finally let me online. My question is, was this the SW Battlefront patch that I downloaded or was it just a random update to XBL? Probably a dumb question.
Old 09-30-04, 10:22 AM

Originally posted by kurupt
I'm kind of new to XBox Live. Last night when I tried to get on Battlefront, it wouldn't let me online and said that XBL had to be updated. It then downloaded the update, restarted the game, and finally let me online. My question is, was this the SW Battlefront patch that I downloaded or was it just a random update to XBL? Probably a dumb question.
That was the Battlefront update. There was a quote from one of the developers (which I can't seem to find now) about how there was more updates to come as problems/exploits are discovered.
Old 09-30-04, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
sweet. At least they are commited to fixing a problem. They could have just let everyone hanging. They already have your money. Kudos to Lucasarts.
Old 09-30-04, 10:53 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While its good they are going to fix problems as they find them.

I have to wonder, is it really Lucasarts dedicated to fixing the problems. Or is it Microsoft pressuring/demanding that Lucasarts fix the problems because they don't want shoddy online code running on their servers. Or is it a combination of the two?
Old 09-30-04, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They've had 2 patches out for the ps2 version, so its not Microsoft, its a rare case of the developers actually caring after release!
Old 09-30-04, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

how does the ps2 version get patched?
Old 09-30-04, 12:11 PM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by actyper
They've had 2 patches out for the ps2 version, so its not Microsoft, its a rare case of the developers actually caring after release!
More likely it was planned all along. This game was apparently rushed to be released with the Trilogy DVD box set. As a result, it does have a lot of little problems. It is still very fun though.

BTW, the first Xbox patch only fixes problems with Optimatch. It does not do anything with the amount of lag or bandwidth requirements of the game (40kb/s per person). The developers have stated there will be more patches and have listed two priorties: 1) adding feature to identify the person currenty speaking and 2) adding some sort of leaderboard/stats tracking.
Old 09-30-04, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Trigger
how does the ps2 version get patched?

http://forums.lucasarts.com/thread.j...=6427&tstart=0
Old 09-30-04, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That doesn't exactly answer my question I don't think - what I meant was - how can a PS2 download a patch and store it? Does it get stored on a memory card? Or is that link saying that every time you go online with SWBF, the patch is downloaded and stored in memory until you play something else or reboot the system? Not everyone has the Hard Drive for the PS2.
Old 09-30-04, 12:52 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Cool! Now developers can rush out unfinished titles to consoles, and not just PC's!
Old 09-30-04, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Trigger
That doesn't exactly answer my question I don't think - what I meant was - how can a PS2 download a patch and store it? Does it get stored on a memory card? Or is that link saying that every time you go online with SWBF, the patch is downloaded and stored in memory until you play something else or reboot the system? Not everyone has the Hard Drive for the PS2.
I don't know. Email the guy. I'm not doing all the work.
Old 10-01-04, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The patch is stored to your memory card, so you only have to download it once.
Old 10-01-04, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,656 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Hmmm...interesting.

Maybe I'll hold off on selling the game for awhile...