Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Emperor's Dialogue change in ESB

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-04, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Emperor's Dialogue change in ESB

Ok, I don't get it... now the Emperor is supposed to be telling Vader that Luke is his son, yet at the beginning of the movie Vader still mentions "Skywalker" when talking about the base on Hoth. I don't get why they even made a change. Anyone care to try and make sense of it?

Plus, no disrespect to Ian McDiarmid, but his acting sucks in this version. I know he was the original actor in Jedi, but his style changed a lot since back then.
Old 09-24-04, 01:12 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vader flat-out lies to the Emperor's face. So much for having respect for his Master. And yes, McDiarmid's acting sucked in the scene. It's like he didn't even attempt to act like the character we see in the very next film.
Old 09-24-04, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Respect for his master? Ha. you must have zoned out when He shows that clear amount of respect for that master when he is trying to double cross him at the end of ESB by getting luke to join him and toss out his master on his ass.

That is the problem with the sith. There is a constant battle between the two as they are each trying to replace one another at every waking moment with the next power house player. That is the way of the sith.

As for McDiarmid's acting... it was stiff and was terribly bad.
Old 09-24-04, 02:37 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The dialog change wasn't needed, having McDiarmid improved it a bit.
Old 09-24-04, 02:48 AM

Originally posted by Rivero
Vader flat-out lies to the Emperor's face. So much for having respect for his Master. And yes, McDiarmid's acting sucked in the scene. It's like he didn't even attempt to act like the character we see in the very next film.
Is that what it was trying to get across? That both of them knew, but Vader "acts" like he didn't? That is really lame. Oh well. As I told someone before, the 5.1 surround and much improved picture make up for the bad changes. (Almost... Han should still shoot first)
Old 09-24-04, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by C-Mart
Is that what it was trying to get across? That both of them knew, but Vader "acts" like he didn't? That is really lame. Oh well. As I told someone before, the 5.1 surround and much improved picture make up for the bad changes. (Almost... Han should still shoot first)
That is always what was going on. In the original cut, Palpy tels Vader that they have a new enemy when Vader has spent the first part of the movie searching for him. What remains to be seen is if Lucas actually shows us Anakin getting into the Vader costume. If the show Anakin "die" and then Vader appears and starts killing Jedi in ROTS, then it can preserve, for new viewers, the surprise that Vader is Anakin, and this altered dialog enhances the revelation at the end of ESB.

BUT, if GL was a surgeon, he would use Crocodile Dundee's knife rather than a scalpel since subtlety doesn't seem to be one of his strong points. I'm betting on seeing Anakin put on the vader helmet in E3.

If you KNOW which theory is correct, disguise your reply very well please. I want to find out when I watch the movie, not in a spoiler.
Old 09-24-04, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I know which theory is correct, and I advise you to completely ignore my thread in "Movie Talk" if you wish to remain spoiler-free.
Old 09-24-04, 08:44 AM

Originally posted by Qui Gon Jim
That is always what was going on. In the original cut, Palpy tels Vader that they have a new enemy when Vader has spent the first part of the movie searching for him.
Exaclty, so there was no need for the dialogue change. It was unesseccary and interrupts the flow of the movie... plus it sounds stupid - "The young rebel who blew up the Death Star" give me a break.

I am pointing out the obvious here, but I figured just in case, I'll put it in spoiler tags:
Spoiler:
At this point everyone, even new viewers know that Anakin is Vader. Just from the advertising of Ep. I, they have the poster that shows Anakin with Vader's shadow, they have the commercial that has his breathing, etc.... Of course we're going to see him put the mask on... Anakin will be barely recognizable as he gets dropped into lava, but all the same, we will see Anakin slipping that helmet on.
Old 09-24-04, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
The dark side is hard to see (as Yoda said), regardless if you're Sith or Jedi. So it would appear that the Emperor seemed oblivious over the fact that Vader was working behind his back to lure Luke to the dark side.

One problem I had with McDiarmid's performance was that he should at least have had a sinister grin (as was in the original) when Vader suggests about turning Luke into an ally. Instead, when he says yes, it comes off wooden, unconvincing. He reminded me of Chief Wiggum from the cat burglar episode of "The Simpsons" ("Yeah...me too...I will also go home...for sleep"). McDiarmid's performance is like that. When he says "[Luke] would be a great asset," he wasn't thinking about a threesome galaxy rule.