Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

History repeating itself: Moonlighting has been Cancelled!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-04, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No reason given for cancelling the S1 release originally scheduled for 11/30.

Here is the story from www.tvshowsondvd.com

Last April, we were pleased to pass on a report from Bruce Willis at his website that Disney would release Moonlighting on DVD this November. A bit over a month later, we passed along another report about November DVDs. This one was from a fan-based website called UltimateDisney.com, and they mentioned Moonlighting in the same breath as Home Improvement, Golden Girls, and the second season of Boy Meets World.

So when the latter three titles were formally announced recently by Disney's Buena Vista Home Entertainment arm, and no mention of Moonlighting, we made a call and asked what was what. Buena Vista told us that yes indeed, this set was originally supposed to be part of the offerings for the November 23rd street date, along with the other three.

However, Buena Vista has removed Moonlighting from their schedule. There's no new ETA on the title, and no reason was given for the change.

Old 08-21-04, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
This doesn't mean it has been cancelled for good, just removed from their lineup. Its better than leaving it on there and then not releasing it with no reason.
Old 08-21-04, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a bad feeling when Home Improvement, et al were announced, and Moonlighting wasn't... It still sucks though. I hope they announce a new date for it real soon.

Rob
Old 08-22-04, 06:40 AM

This is the problem with titles being leaked before the company officially announces it. They get moved, postponed, what have you, and then everyone gets upset when it doesn't come out when the rumor originally said it would.

Rule of thumb: If it hasn't been OFFICIALLY announced by the company releasing it, it's tentative, at best.
Old 08-22-04, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am just delighted that we are finally getting Home Improvement, this is news to me. It's been a long year waiting for this (it was originally rumored to be out in 2003.)
Old 08-22-04, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by joshualane
Rule of thumb: If it hasn't been OFFICIALLY announced by the company releasing it, it's tentative, at best.
Even if it has been officially announced, it's still tentative at best. Universal announced "The Rockford Files" in 2002, if I remember the year correctly, and I'm still waiting for it...
Old 08-22-04, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Well I've still got the pilot on DVD. Was hoping for more to watch............
Old 08-22-04, 09:33 PM

Here's a better definition of what is an "official" announcment when it comes to home video releases:

Once the studios solicit retailers, then a product has "officially" been announced.

The Rockford Files was never solicited to retailers.

fitprod
Old 08-22-04, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by fitprod
Here's a better definition of what is an "official" announcment when it comes to home video releases:

Once the studios solicit retailers, then a product has "officially" been announced.

The Rockford Files was never solicited to retailers.
That's an action, not an announcement.

The Rockford Files was announced widely to the press, something picked up by the AP, Hollywood Reporter and many major newspapers. That's an official announcement.

But you're right that until retailers are solicited, anything goes--even after they're solicited.

For what it's worth, the other shows Universal announced at the same time but never came out are:

"Emergency!"
"Dragnet" (original)
"Gene Roddenberry's Earth: Final Conflict"