Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Why does TNT move commercial breaks?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-04, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why does TNT move commercial breaks?

I know other networks do this, but TNT is the biggest offender of them all....why do they feel the need to change where the commercial breaks go in TV shows? With a movie, yeah, you might have to put a commercial break in an awkward spot from time to time, but you already have breaks with TV shows! They cut them apart in weird places and put them together in weird places. It doesnt even make sense because a lot of these shows have "mini-cliffhangers" before the break to keep viewers watching, but now theres something very uninteresting going on when we go to break....how do they keep viewers? The worst offense Ive seen of this came the other night in an airing of a certain X-Files episode, "Triangle" I believe. This is the only episode always shown in letterbox and each segment of the show was shot in one long take. But TNT ruins this because they put commercial breaks in the middle of each segment. I just want to know what their reasoning is behind this, because all it accomplishes is being f**king annoying.
Old 07-16-04, 02:03 AM

I have noticed when a tv show is shown in syndication, sometimes it will fade to black, and immediately come back up again. This is where the commercial is SUPPOSED to be, and they (not just TNT) keep messing up with the natural flow of the show, just for a little more commercial time (I HATE, HATE, HATE the practice of deleting footage in the syndication broadcasts!!!)
At least we have TV on DVD.
Old 07-16-04, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Not only that but they also edit out parts of shows. They have butchered some Law & Order episodes.
Old 07-16-04, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Just one more reason why I almost NEVER watch commercial television. (ok - I give in on about 5-6 hours a week total during the regular TV season, but that's it.)
Old 07-16-04, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,658 Likes on 1,034 Posts
I don't regularly watch shows like that in syndication, partly for that reason.
Old 07-16-04, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
• Red Dog •

Not only that but they also edit out parts of shows. They have butchered some Law & Order episodes.
I've noticed this too. TNT is by far the worst offender of this.

das
Old 07-16-04, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is especially noticeable with Angel which does usually have a musical build up and then a flashed blackout. It is WAY annoying!
Old 07-16-04, 09:57 AM

They are horrible with Angel repeats. I was watching an episode the other day, and they cut to commercial mid-sentence of one of the characters. Then when they came back, there was about 5 seconds of dialog and then the screen faded black for a few seconds <-- THIS IS WHERE THE COMMERCIAL IS SUPPOSED TO GO!

How dumb can they be?
I'm at the point where I think I'll just join Netfilx an get all the seasons, so I can watch them naturally.
Old 07-16-04, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It was bad in Ireland too, when we got all the american shows. Less commercials in Ireland, you see - so an hour-long show that may have originally had five, six breaks now only had two. The "music flourishes and fades to black) in the middle of scenes got annoying.
Old 07-16-04, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I am TNT's complete lack of proper scene transitions

I ranted about this in the "Just watched Buffy S6: "Once More With Feeling" thread.

Originally posted by ClarkKentKY
Watching Angel on TNT is so frustrating. They've created their own commercial breaks in the show, ignoring the normal breaks. In one episode Wesley was speaking and they cut to a break in mid sentence. Nearly in midword.

And i don't think it was to just add another commercial break. Sometimes they'll ignore the traditional break, then 30 seconds cut to their own self-made commercial break. I'm kinda surprised they can get away with it.
It just doesn't make any sense. The breaks are there. Use them.
Old 07-16-04, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

TNT jumped the shark when they dumped Joe Bob Briggs.
Old 07-17-04, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah I know about deleting parts of the show to fit in a few more ads (and STILL have to put those ads up during the show to advertise other shows), but I dont understand why they need to move the breaks in order to do so. TNT isnt the only offender, but its not a "everyones doing it" thing...there are plenty of syndicated shows on in my local market that have commercial breaks in the correct place.
I also rarely watch syndicated TV....have all The X-Files seasons on DVD as well. I just ran across this the other night, this particular episode bugged me even more than others, and decided to post since I had never seen anyone else bitching about it on here.