Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

A DOLL PASSES: New York Dolls bassist Arthur "Killer" Kane ....

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-04, 04:34 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hits Daily Double Rumor mill
A DOLL PASSES: New York Dolls bassist Arthur "Killer" Kane died of advanced leukemia in an L.A. area hospital last night. Kane, who had reunited with surviving bandmates David Johansen and Syl Sylvain for last month's acclaimed performance at Morrissey's Meltdown Festival in London, entered the hospital thinking he was suffering from pneumonia. The funeral is reportedly scheduled for Saturday. The Dolls, who released two groundbreaking albums in the '70s, were also slated to play in Japan and at next month's Little Steven-sponsored Garage Festival at Randall's Island in N.Y.C. Kane, a devout Mormon, was being followed around by a camera crew from the church for a documentary, A New York Doll, which detailed his recovery from alcohol and drug abuse. Photographer Bob Gruen, a close friend of the band's, said that, because of the band's current comeback, Arthur died "with a smile on his face." Previous Dolls members Johnny Thunders, Billy Murcia and Jerry Nolan had all previously died from drug-related causes.
Old 07-14-04, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He didn't know he had leukemia? Seems that way from the article. Sad. I was playing their music this morning and telling my wife about how half of them died (met Jerry when working in a CD store in '89). It's cool he at least got to play with them recently after all those years.
Old 07-14-04, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah it sucks. If it wasn't for the New York Dolls there wouldn't have been a KISS, a Motley Crue, or a Guns & Roses.
Old 07-14-04, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,508 Posts
If it wasn't for the New York Dolls there wouldn't have been a KISS, a Motley Crue, or a Guns & Roses
Maybe no Sex Pistols and resulting UK punk scene either (they were responsible for Malcolm McLaren's first experience in the music biz) .

I had no idea that the three members had gotten back together. I'm not surprised about Morrissey's involvement in this though, considering that he was a huge fan of the Dolls.
Old 07-14-04, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Very sad. The whole not knowing he had leukemia is pretty insane. Another great band that was way ahead of it's time, that many people are still just discovering now for the fist time.
Old 07-15-04, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by nodeerforamonth
Yeah it sucks. If it wasn't for the New York Dolls there wouldn't have been a KISS, a Motley Crue, or a Guns & Roses.
You know... you're right. That's funny because I never though of the Dolls influencing those bands. I had always dumped them in with the CBGB-type acts... firmly in the punk category (pre-punk... whatever).