Of all the Shrekin' things!

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-04, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know what's going on, but I can't find the widescreen version of the first Shrek movie anywhere.

WalMart, Circuit City, Best Buy, Target... nada. Nothin' but full-frame. Oh, and that two-pack with the worthless 3D thing, and the movie with it is full-frame, too.

You'd think with Shrek 2 just coming out that it would be easy to find the first one. There's got to be a widescreen release, right? Or isn't there?

Guess I'll check DDD.
Old 05-29-04, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Amazon has the 2 disc widescreen.

I still havent bought this myself but hopefully when shrek 2 is released they will do a 2 pack.
Old 05-29-04, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I noticed that too. I have the two disc set myself but I've found that just about every copy I've found at a b&m store has been fullscreen.

On a related topic (not to get too far off but bear with me). I'm starting to think that people really don't understand the difference between widescreen and fullscreen. I was in a store yesterday talking to someone and I asked why they were buying a fullscreen version of Return of King. And as usual he responded with "I don't like the black bars". Then he said he was going to buy a hi-def television in the near future and I told him "Well instead of black bars on the bottom you're going to get black bars on the sides". I gotta tell ya the look on his face was one of "what are talking about?". I really do think people equate "fullscreen" with "fullpicture". Meaning that they think because the entire screen of the television is being taken up that they are seeing the whole frame of the movie. Which we all know isn't true.

I know we've discussed this ad nauseum here but I thought that was an interesting take on the subject.
Old 05-29-04, 05:04 PM

The sad thing about them Captain is they are perfectly happy to have the fullscreen image stretched out to fill their widescreen TVs. I cant tell you how many of my neighbors have widescren sets and watch standard def TV this way....it drives me nuts......
Old 05-29-04, 05:30 PM

I got shrek widescreen at best buy about a week and a half ago, it was a real pain every shrek dvd they have in the store has a clear sticker on the actual dvd case and the widescreen version is really expensive its like $22 at best buy as for the widescreen vs fullscreen ive given up on trying to convert people to widescreen they just dont understand it i guess.