Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Cheapest way to hook system to wireless network?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-04, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the cheapest way to hook up a ps2 with network adapter to a wireless network? Obviously, I need to get a wireless router, but how would you recommend I hook the ps2 into the network? i saw a device that you connect the ps2 to (looks like a walkie talkie), it was $79 which is probably more than i would like to spend

mod - please move if this should be in tech talk

Last edited by j123vt_99; 05-10-04 at 10:27 AM.
Old 05-10-04, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
I asked the same question here and no one ever answered it.

It seems that by the time you buy a wireless router and access point, you're looking at more than $79. I have a friend who has the Nyko wireless connection you are talking about and it works fine.
Old 05-10-04, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i asked a similar question in tech talk and am thinking about trying this:

hookiing the dsl connection to a wireless router and having a network cable go from the router to my ps2 and then have a wireless pci card in my pc
Old 05-10-04, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry guys,

The only ways to go wireless include buying a wireless router, and either a wireless card for your pc or one of those wireless game adapter. Niether of of those options are what I would consider cheap.

The only tip that I could recommend is to buy the 802.11"b" wireless equipment because it can usually be found for cheaper. note: 802.11g (the "g" doesn't stand for gaming) does not give you much if any performance over 802.11b for gaming. Most online gaming was created to use minimal bandwith, so why would you need more than 1.5mb/s? Answer: you wouldn't! Remember that you still have to go out 1.5mb DSL/cable (ISPs are the cause of most bottlenecks).

Last edited by goLUCKY; 05-10-04 at 03:34 PM.
Old 05-10-04, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

why would my idea not work?

maybe this horrible picture will illustrate it

Originally posted by goLUCKY
Sorry guys, there's just not a way to answer that question. The only ways to go wireless include buying a wireless router, and either a wireless card for your pc or one of those wireless game adapter. Niether of of those options are what I would consider cheap.

The only tip that I could recommend is to buy the 802.11"b" wireless equipment because it can usually be found for cheaper. note: 802.11g (the "g" doesn't stand for gaming) does not give you much if any performance over 802.11b for gaming. Most online gaming was created to use minimal bandwith, so why would you need more than 1.5mb/s? Answer: you wouldn't! Remember that you still have to go out 1.5mb DSL/cable (ISPs are the cause of most bottlenecks).

Last edited by j123vt_99; 05-10-04 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-10-04, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
It would work fine. That's how I have my xbox setup.
Old 05-10-04, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you already have a wireless router or wireless access point, then all you need is a wireless bridge to hook up your PS2 to your wireless network. Here is a cheap one from a good company, probably no tax if you live in TX and free shipping, all for $62:

D-Link 22Mbps Wireless Bridge, Model DWL-810+
Old 05-11-04, 06:13 AM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Okay, total noobie at the gaming world so here's my stoopid question: assuming I get the wireless setup to workout, what would that let me do with the gaming console? I ask because I'm trying to see if that'll give me a way to get gamesaves onto the Xbox.

thanks.
Old 05-11-04, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by j123vt_99
why would my idea not work?

maybe this horrible picture will illustrate it

That looks like what I'll be doing in a couple months, except that I'll have 3 PCs and PS2 hooked up to the router.
Old 05-11-04, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would recommend the WGA11B from Linksys (if you have DSL, you can also get the G adapter if you have higher access speeds). I have used this with my Gamecube, and it works pretty well.

The problem with the picture above is that your not really wireless after than AND you need to physically connect a PC to the wireless router at some stage to store all your connection info (e.g. DSL account information) so the router can login for you.

With this Linksys product, you connect it to the game system then run a configuration CD on a PC on the network to configure ithe WGA to connect to your network. I think it is a pretty great solution to running wires everywhere!
Old 05-11-04, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ngp
assuming I get the wireless setup to workout, what would that let me do with the gaming console?
ummm... everything that you could do with a "wired" console? i.e. the same things you would do with a console hooked up with a regular network cable. such as playing on xbox live, system link games, and FTP files to/from hard drive, among other things. does that answer your question?
Old 05-11-04, 09:27 AM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Joshic
ummm... everything that you could do with a "wired" console? i.e. the same things you would do with a console hooked up with a regular network cable. such as playing on xbox live, system link games, and FTP files to/from hard drive, among other things. does that answer your question?
I think that that answers it...I want to get the FTP to work out so that I can do the powersaves.