Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Thief: Deadly Shadows website goes live

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 02-12-04, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know the Thief: Deadly Shadows website went up today. Its pretty sweet

http://www.thief3.com/main.html
Old 02-12-04, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thanks. I've been waiting for this game for a long time now.
Old 02-12-04, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
Old 02-12-04, 02:32 PM

Dunno if any of you have seen this yet or not, but once on the main page, click on the 'community' link. Then run your cursor over the candles...

Old 02-12-04, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by Fodder1976
Dunno if any of you have seen this yet or not, but once on the main page, click on the 'community' link. Then run your cursor over the candles...

That's pretty sweet. Nice touch.
Old 02-12-04, 03:48 PM

I have been waiting years for this game, I hope it holds up the quality of the first two. The first game was so experience oriented, that you could easily get sucked into it.....turn all your lights out, play in the dark, lean around your monitor as you sneak around........damn that game was fun......the fire arrows were hilarious, used to sneak up behind a taffer and BLAM!! back of the head, the noise it made was so funny.
It was also fun to try to figure a better way to do things, like lord baffords manor first mission, if you take out the guards at the exit FIRST (through the bars), it makes your escape much easier.
and the bug beasts were just scary.................

on the downside, the last mission on the second game, was just too damn difficult, not hard, just complicated.......
I......................cannot..........................wait..........................
TAFFERS UNITE~~~~!!!!
Old 02-12-04, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I had an undergrad friend who worked for Looking Glass - he helped code both Thief and System Shock 2, as I understand it. Dunno where he went after Looking Glass went belly-up, sadly.

The first Thief was fun, but I had some serious problems with it:

1) The graphics engine gave me serious headaches. This has never happened with any other 3D game, and I've spent probably 1,000+ hours playing several dozen or hundred of them. I think the engine had a particularly high level of "objects don't move around or connect quite like you'd expect"-edness.

2) The game was far too unforgiving. Even after playing it for a few dozen hours, I found myself doing tons of reloading. I got so sick of repeating sections of levels (or trying to blackjack the same guard 15 times) that I stopped playing because of it.

3) The whole "blackjack the guard in the butt" thing was weak.

I bought the second one recently, but haven't had a chance to spin it up yet.

- David Stein
Old 02-12-04, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm also so incredibly excited for this game. I adored the first two even though they were pretty difficult (imo). Never could get into the Splinter Cell thing - so perhaps this will suck me back into the stealth genre. At least until i get my water arrows blessed and turned into holy water arrows
Old 02-12-04, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thief II was alot better then Thief.

The ghosts in Thief scared me, but you don't know scared until you're in the bank in Thief II (which has marble floors that make ALOT of noise) and trying to find out how close the robot guards are, and running to hide. Those robots are freaky
Old 02-13-04, 02:23 PM

Couple of nice new previews:

http://pc.ign.com/articles/492/492154p1.html

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/...w_6089325.html
Old 02-13-04, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by nickdawgy
Thief II was alot better then Thief.
Those robots are freaky
I'm guessing you forgot the "IMHO" after this statement. I much preferred Thief 1. I thought the robots were stupid. Granted, the Bank level was cool; the design of that level was nuts.

I read an article on Thief 3, where one of the designers even said that Thief2 was rushed out the door before it should have been.
Old 02-13-04, 04:49 PM

Thief is one of those few games where you can remember particular scenarios and how they went down, got ugly, how you escaped , (or not)....

I remember playing thief 2, the level right after you survey the house, to stealing stuff from the house, and you need to run through the rafters and such.....I vividly remebering being chased by a guard, opened a double door, ran through and turned to fire at him, aimed and let loose, and just at the moment I let loose, the door shut between us.......thunk. "ILL GET YOU TAFFER", aw crap. blackjack is no use in a case like that.

or I bet you all remember this one in thief one: when you accidently fall off the beams in the church when the eye talks to you in your head........and those weird ghost rider looking spirit things are skulking around........one maybe you could handle if equiped right, but three........hell no.
instant (or not so instant, but inevitable) death.....

oh how I love that game. Garret had the coolest voice too, I could see that guy from the bmw shorts playing him in a movie, smart ass, but a little bit of an accent.........I cant remember his name......
Old 02-14-04, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by TheMadMonk
I'm guessing you forgot the "IMHO" after this statement. I much preferred Thief 1. I thought the robots were stupid. Granted, the Bank level was cool; the design of that level was nuts.

I read an article on Thief 3, where one of the designers even said that Thief2 was rushed out the door before it should have been.
Thief II > Thief

That is all
Old 04-22-04, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

IGN has some new videos up with gameplay footage. I gotta say - I am not lovin the 3rd person perspective... and I certainly don't like the inner monologue at all. I think I'm gonna pass on this and pick it up for 10 bucks later. It's a shame cuz I was really looking forward to this game.
Old 04-22-04, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Trigger
IGN has some new videos up with gameplay footage. I gotta say - I am not lovin the 3rd person perspective... and I certainly don't like the inner monologue at all. I think I'm gonna pass on this and pick it up for 10 bucks later. It's a shame cuz I was really looking forward to this game.
3rd person is optional. You can play in 1st person like in the previous games if you choose.
Old 04-22-04, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's cool - is the inner monologue optional as well?
Old 04-22-04, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, it is. It's called mute
Old 04-22-04, 03:47 PM

It's been a while since I've played the first two, but wouldn't Garret say things to himself at key moments during missions in the previous games?
Old 04-22-04, 03:53 PM

Yes, Garrett has always spoken to himself. Hes not long winded, and usually what he says helps direct you where to go. Most people love his voice and were thrilled to hear that the same voice from the previous games was back for this one.

Ive never heard it considered a negative before... but to each his own.

Yes first and third person are both available, you can switch between the two on the fly if you like. Both are fully supported.

~Chris~
Old 05-05-04, 03:22 PM

Couple of updates!

New Trailer on the site.. http://www.thief3.com/main.html

And the game has gone gold...

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040505/sfw071_1.html
Old 05-05-04, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have pretty much zero faith in this game at this point. They seem to be carrying over the single worst flaw of Deus Ex 2 (the tiny tiny levels) and the lead designer was apparently forced out some months ago so that Eidos could "put their stamp" on the game (read: dumb it down even moreso). RIP Ion Storm.
Old 05-05-04, 04:23 PM

Trust me, the levels aren't tiny. Give it a try. If you were a fan of the first two games, I dont think you'll be disappointed.

Also, by the time Randy left, the game was nearly 100% done. No signifigant changes were made after that point.

~Chris~
Old 05-06-04, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I can't wait
Old 05-06-04, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm actually pretty excited as well. I loved both Thief 1 and 2 back in the day but i never liked the modern stealth genre games (metal gear and splinter cell). I'm going to be recovering from a surgery right when it comes out so i will probably pick it up to have something to do while at home - i just hope i haven't lost my enjoyment of the stealth genre.
Old 05-07-04, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Thief series rules, but after the problems with Deus Ex 2, I'm cautious...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.