Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Will Full Spectrum Warrior bypass Ghost Recon

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-04, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will Full Spectrum Warrior bypass Ghost Recon

I have really high hopes for this game.

You can watch the trailer and a feature demonstration on their website.

http://www.fullspectrumwarrior.com/
Old 05-05-04, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
this game will be the shit. count on that.
Old 05-05-04, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Full Spectrum Warrior == RTS, Ghost Recon == FPS. You can't really compare them.

But I'm definitely looking forward to it.
Old 05-05-04, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Jeremy517
Full Spectrum Warrior == RTS, Ghost Recon == FPS. You can't really compare them.

But I'm definitely looking forward to it.
I would consider both to be squad based shooters
Old 05-05-04, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well - Full Spectrum is closer to Rainbow Six 3 than Ghost Recon, but I didn't wanna say anything. Actually - it's closer to Operation Flashpoint than either of those.
Old 05-05-04, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
Looks fun. But I imagine it will be weird not being able to fire any weapons.
Old 05-06-04, 11:11 AM

Is it LIVE only multiplayer or can you play split screen. That is what I want to know before I buy this game. I could not find out, all they say is :

Yes we plan to offer full support for Live. More details will be coming, but for now we can say the game will support a two-player, online cooperative mode.

I'm gathering it wont be split screen? I hate that, we get so shafted.
Old 05-06-04, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah but Ghost == Splinter Cell. Can it really be better? And do people have enough interest to invest in another stealth franchise?

Jeremy
Old 05-06-04, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
I think there are too many people that still don't know what the game is about. This will lead to a lot of disappointed people (not because the game is bad, necessarily, but because it isn't what they expected). That will lead to a lot of bad word-of-mouth, which will lead to bad sales.
Old 05-06-04, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I dont think it's multiplayer at all. And you don't control a soldier, you just tell him what to do. It's like a Rainbow6 but without you in control of one of the men.

D
Old 05-06-04, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This game is going the be nothing like Ghost Recon. The only resemblence it has to it, is that there are soldiers, with weapons.

And yes, it does have multiplayer (Coop only I believe), on XBox Live.
Old 05-06-04, 02:25 PM

Originally posted by Trigger
Well - Full Spectrum is closer to Rainbow Six 3 than Ghost Recon, but I didn't wanna say anything. Actually - it's closer to Operation Flashpoint than either of those.
I'm afraid that comparison still leaves any confusion someone may have completely intact.

As the lead designer, Laralyn McWilliams, said in the 12/5/03 interview found at Gamespot, "The only thing we have in common with Ghost Recon and Rainbow 6 is that they have a somewhat military theme and they're on the Xbox. Beyond that we are in no way similar to them."
Old 05-06-04, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I'm thinking Rainbow 6 because you command your squad to open and clear and they'll stick to a general formation and stuff. Anyway - I know it's different. I know it's not a first person shooter at all.
Old 05-08-04, 07:34 AM

You dont shoot at all? Yuk, I thought you controlled the leader of the squad and the rest followed you.
*Checks it off his buy list*
Old 05-08-04, 11:13 AM

That's the first time in this forum I remember seeing a 'What? You can't shoot the gun? Forget it!'-post about Full Spectrum Warrior. (They've been seen everywhere else.)

Most people are looking forward to it because it's a military game that's different. If it was another product where you controlled a character that fired a weapon, that would be Game #4,563,783 that fit that description.

Actually, though, since you didn't know how the game plays, you haven't seen any videos. I would guess you'd be in a tiny minority of people who say "Yuk" after watching some of the gameplay.

Again, though, this is quite a different flavor of a RTS game; this is not a FPS of any kind.

And, luckily, it is guaranteed to show up next month... no more delays for this one.

Here's a quick recap of a mission that EGM's Che wrote in the Gaming Age forums:

... in fact, the game has that dynamic sense of awe contained in the best combat simulators. i was watching somebody play a mission in the near-reviewable build at the THQ party the other night and out of nowhere, something amazing happened.

the scenario involved using both your fireteams (alpha and beta) to suppress and flank an enemy RPG team. the player was careful to go from cover to cover, using, probably to the best of what he learned within a half hour, military doctrine to advance. all the while, random RPG rounds would go streaking across the map, popping at some unknown destination. so he gets one team up to the corner of a building, and tries, at first, to take out the RPG with the grenadier's M203. the shells silence the enemy for a while, but soon enough, the contrails returned. so the player starts firing with the SAW gunner in the direction of the enemy, and sends his other team running around the other side of the building, hoping to expose his enemy's flank. everything was pretty much going according to plan, and at that point, i thought i knew generally what the game was about (covering fire, suppress, flank). then something went wrong, and the camera goes sepia tone and suddenly cuts back to his suppression team. apparently poking your head out at the corner of a building also has its risks because an RPG round hit its mark, dead center, and sends two members of his team, weapons and all, soaring through the air in glorious Havoc slow-motion. And then the mission was over.

then the producer wil stahl (whom XBN recently interviewed) came by and asked me what i thought of the game. i was literally stunned as i tried to explain to him what i just saw. his reaction was "oh really?" apparently, he was just as surprised as i was. what an awesome game.
Old 05-08-04, 11:19 AM

Also, by the way, I thought I had followed news of FSW relatively closely, but this interview with Game Informer was still pretty interesting.

http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Sto...1843.05215.htm
Old 05-08-04, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have not looked forward to a game this much, in a long time!

edit: After reading some of that GameInformer article, I wish they could of left the Army rules as an option. They sound very interesting...

This sounds especially cool

BB: What kind of Xbox Live features are you guys planning?

WHS: We support co-op mode with two players with one player controlling one team and the other player controlling another. Microsoft really helped us out. They’re whole push now is to blur the lines between online play and single play, they really want it to be, quite frankly, just “play.” In traditional co-op, there’s co-op and then the single player game. In FSW, it’s the same thing. There’s just one mission tree and you could play it and then someone else could come in and start playing and he can leave and then you can keep playing and then even come back and keep playing. It’s Live Aware, so your friend may be like “oh, I want to join in” and boom, he just grabs the other team.
Also pretty cool that Machinehead is doing the soundtrack for the game, they also did the Black Hawk Down soundtrack.

Last edited by flashburn; 05-08-04 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05-08-04, 01:30 PM

I was hoping that FSW would let you and 3 friends control 1 squad on the same Xbox. As much fun as Xbox is, there is no realistic split screen tactical game, just constant shooting like Halo or Brute Force.

I am not looking for a shooter, im looking for 4 player coop tactical combat
Old 05-08-04, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by flashburn
edit: After reading some of that GameInformer article, I wish they could of left the Army rules as an option. They sound very interesting...
If you read the last question in the article it sounds like if you play it on the hardest setting you get the version the Army plays (except for maybe the allowing two casualties?)
Old 05-09-04, 01:21 PM

Well, Gaming Age's forum in the last 24 hours has had a similar thread about someone discovering you don't actually shoot in FSW.

Somebody did there what I'll do here... directions to the Demo Trailer (69/56 MB) of the game at http://www.gametrailers.com/vault-f4.html . (I won't link to either the Quicktime or Windows Media version; anybody interested can choose their preferred one there.)

This video is quite old now, and many have probably already seen it, but if you're still wondering what this game is all about, there's no better resource available. (I'm not even sure... this may be at fullspectrumwarrior.com , but I know it would take longer to find it that way.)
Old 05-09-04, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by mr.snowmizer
Well, Gaming Age's forum in the last 24 hours has had a similar thread about someone discovering you don't actually shoot in FSW.

Somebody did there what I'll do here... directions to the Demo Trailer (69/56 MB) of the game at http://www.gametrailers.com/vault-f4.html . (I won't link to either the Quicktime or Windows Media version; anybody interested can choose their preferred one there.)

This video is quite old now, and many have probably already seen it, but if you're still wondering what this game is all about, there's no better resource available. (I'm not even sure... this may be at fullspectrumwarrior.com , but I know it would take longer to find it that way.)
Wow, thanks for the link, that was pretty badass. Didn't know much about the game before, but now I can't wait to get my hands on it and play!