Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Best RPGs?

Old 05-08-04, 04:41 PM
Cool New Member

Best RPGs?

I'm looking for a good rpg...I've only played Diablo then dropped it after I found its depth lacking, so I moved onto strategy. If anyone has any details RPGs they love and would like to share why they do, please let me know. Thnx
Old 05-08-04, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For what systems?
Old 05-08-04, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Shenmue although calling it an RPG is too limiting.

I enjoyed Harvest Moon a lot though.
Old 05-08-04, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, what a broad topic. It's worse that my definition of RPG is pretty loose -- anything with leveling up or quest elements pretty much fits my definition.

Off the top of my head, and in no particular order...

Ultima VII (PC), Star Control II (PC), Skies of Arcadia (DC, GCN), Grandia I (PSX) and II (DC, PS2), Final Fantasy Tactics (PSX), Chrono Trigger (SNES), various Final Fantasy games (SNES, PSX), Shining Force I and II (Gen), Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PSX), and plenty more I'm forgetting.

Other good games I enjoyed immensely...

Secret of Mana (SNES), Super Mario RPG (SNES), Paper Mario (N64), Mario and Luigi (GBA), Record of Lodoss War (DC -- a Diablo clone, but superior in every way), The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64) and Majora's Mask (N64), Pokemon (GB), Chrono Cross (PSX), and others...

I haven't had a chance to play many of the newer RPGs -- Morrowind, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, etc., although I hope to sometime soon.
Old 05-08-04, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Some of the older RPGs that I played and enjoyed very much:

Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 (PC)
Fallout 1 and 2 (PC)
Planescape Torment (PC)
Wizardry 7-8 (PC)
Old 05-08-04, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Baldur's Gate
Diablo I and II
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Dugeon Seige (I know, I am probably the only who liked this one)
Ultima series and Bards Tale (old school rpg)
Old 05-08-04, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Three words : Champions of Norrath
Old 05-09-04, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Planescape Torment can be had very cheaply for the PC now and it is an incredible RPG.
Old 05-09-04, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I haven't seen a copy of Torment for less than $20 in a long time. Still a fair price for such a great game but not "very cheap" either.

Between them, Fallout 1 and 2 own pretty much every other RPG ever made. Not only are they "role-playing" at its purest -- you can do pretty much whatever you damn well want to (example: one of the professions in part 2 is "fluffer") -- but the post-apocalyptic setting is a nice break from cookie-cutter fantasy worlds (which is why I'm recommending the Fallout games instead of the similarly non-linear Elder Scrolls games, although those are great too). You can get both parts 1 and 2 for around $15 and it would be a bargain at three times the price.

Last edited by Dan Average; 05-09-04 at 01:03 AM.
Old 05-09-04, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Dan Average

Between them, Fallout 1 and 2 own pretty much every other RPG ever made. Not only are they "role-playing" at its purest -- you can do pretty much whatever you damn well want to (example: one of the professions in part 2 is "fluffer") -- but the post-apocalyptic setting is a nice break from cookie-cutter fantasy worlds (which is why I'm recommending the Fallout games instead of the similarly non-linear Elder Scrolls games, although those are great too). You can get both parts 1 and 2 for around $15 and it would be a bargain at three times the price.
Definitely agree. With so many RPG's just another fantasy D&D rehash, the Fallout games are a nice change of pace. I played Fallout 2 again a few months ago, and it was still marvelous.
Old 05-09-04, 05:31 AM
Cool New Member

wow, lots of great input. what would you guys recommend if I love to get new skills? I think my favorite feature of Diablo was that there were the different classes with 3 trees to pick spells and what not from. I thought it was great because of just being able to do new things. I could be a loser and not know that all RPGs have this, but I honestly have no idea. Thanks for the feedback-

EDIT-sry, I forgot to mention I'm looking for something on PC or PS2

Last edited by AlphaOmega; 05-09-04 at 05:35 AM.
Old 05-09-04, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I haven't seen a copy of Torment for less than $20 in a long time. Still a fair price for such a great game but not "very cheap" either.
Really? I've seen it at Wal-Marts and other places in a little 2 pack with some other game (which i don't remember the title). They were in a cardboard case that was kind of thick (about the thickness of 1.5-2 double cd cases) mounted back to back for like 9.99 Who knows though, maybe those sets are all sold out.
Old 05-09-04, 09:24 AM
Admin Emeritus

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic has what you are looking for in terms of depth and characters gaining new skills. I was never much for replaying RPGs because they're so long, but I really want to this time around because of the differences you experience playing as light and dark characters. I've also heard you can encounter different storylines depending on your character's gender.

Planescape: Torment is a great game in which your NPC interaction matters more than hacking and slashing. (Just make sure you play through as someone with high Wis/Int/Cha... otherwise you miss out on a lot of the game. Don't worry, your character is VERY hard to kill.) I was able to pick it up on the cheap, but browsing a few online stores, it looks like it's either unavailable or available for $20. No matter... it's well worth $20, if not $50.

I haven't played Baldur's Gate I, but it's sequel sucked me in for a loooooong time. I've also heard great things about Fallout 1 & 2.
Old 05-09-04, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've never played Fallout (although I will now), but the battle system looks a lot like the first two X-Com games.
Old 05-09-04, 12:12 PM

PS2, try any of the Final Fantasy series, Wild arms 3, the Balders Gate series, Champions of Norath and don't forget the PS1 RPG's. There are a ton of good ones. Too many to list in fact. My personal favorites are "The Legend of Dragoon" and Final Fantasy 7 & 8.
Old 05-09-04, 12:19 PM
Banned

Anything in the Final Fantasy series.
Old 05-09-04, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Static Cling
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic has what you are looking for in terms of depth and characters gaining new skills. I was never much for replaying RPGs because they're so long, but I really want to this time around because of the differences you experience playing as light and dark characters. I've also heard you can encounter different storylines depending on your character's gender.

I agree. I didn't like it the first time I tried it but I put in the time and I can't stop playing. The Dark side Light side angle is really interesting and gives you a good reason to replay it. There's also TONS of side quests that you can miss so there's yet another reason to replay it.
Old 05-09-04, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Despite a "bumpy" 15 hours at first, Xenosaga: Episode I is a good RPG with a none too typical story. Just be prepared for some ham fisted dialoge during those first 15 hours. After that, it's smooth sailing and the game is around 40 hours so those 15 hours are a small price to pay. The sequel seems to be shaping up nicely and has apparently addressed many of the concerns player had with the first.
Old 05-09-04, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is probably the first time I've ever heard anyone say "you have to play for fifteen hours before you get to the good parts" and mean it as a recommendation.
Old 05-09-04, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've had trouble getting into PC RPGs, I've seen my brother playing Fallout recently. . .I'm going to try it.

On the console side, my two favorites of all time would be Chrono Trigger and Earthbound, both for the SNES. After that, Final Fantasy VII, and also Chrono Cross. Skies of Arcadia ruled too.
Old 05-09-04, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This is probably the first time I've ever heard anyone say "you have to play for fifteen hours before you get to the good parts" and mean it as a recommendation.
Yeah, I know it sounds a bit weird but the game is good. And I don't mean that the "good parts" show up fifteen hours into the game but rather that it's a little uneven for those first fifteen hours. It has the makings of a great RPG with an antitypical story (this never devolves into a we-must-stop-the-supreme-overlord-of-evil type of story) but some of the dialog is in serious need of a polish. Too much hand holding exposition at first knocks it down from a potentially great game to a good game. But I still recommend it as it is a very good game and only the first part of a six part saga. And, as I said earlier, a lot of the complaints players expressed with regards the first game have apparently been addressed in the second game.
Old 05-09-04, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by theneobez
I've had trouble getting into PC RPGs, I've seen my brother playing Fallout recently. . .I'm going to try it.

On the console side, my two favorites of all time would be Chrono Trigger and Earthbound, both for the SNES. After that, Final Fantasy VII, and also Chrono Cross. Skies of Arcadia ruled too.
You'll love Fallout. Fallout 2 is the better game, though.