Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Wanted: Germany Year Zero

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-04, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

I came across this DVD while browsing though a Virgin Megastore and am thinking of buying it online. The movie sounds interesting, was wondering if anyone could comment on the movie itself as well as the quality of the DVD. It appears to be an Image release in Italian with English subtitles.

This is the plot summary for those interested:

Actor/Actors: Edmund Moeschke, Franz-Otto Kruger, Ingetraud Hinze

Direction: Roberto Rossellini

Synopsis: Citizens fight for survival in the nightmarish devastation of post-World War II Berlin in this towering masterpiece of Italian neorealist cinema from groundbreaking director Robert Rossellini. Twelve-year-old Edmund, a child who has known only upheaval and terror, wanders from day to day trying to help his family and find money or food on the streets. One day he meets his former schoolteacher, who now profits from Nazi propaganda, and sets in motion a shocking new chain of violence. Filled with haunting imagery and unforgettable performances by real local citizens, this unflinching look at a country wracked with guilt and confusion will never leave your memory.
Old 03-31-04, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...FYI and fwiw : this movie was filmed entirely in Germany, with an all-German cast, and an all-German soundtrack... the DVD features only the (very bad) Italian dub... poor Rosselini...

. . . . . .
Old 03-31-04, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
correct!! This is a great film yet as it was the case with some of the earlier de Sicca films released by Image for example...the dvd is not acceptable. I would either wait or look for an alternative European version.

Hendrik is right...poor Rosselini....

Pro-B
Old 04-01-04, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
Thanks for the replies .. I guess I will try to rent it just to see the movie and see if I can find a better version at some point to buy.