Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Anyone have the Malata DVP-520?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-04, 01:22 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 914 Likes on 774 Posts

and can tell me generally if it is a good 2nd player to have for region free discs and to play PAL discs on my NTSC TV? Is it cumbersome to change regions with the remote or easy, I originally thought it was built in, but I don't think so anymore.

Also, I saw two very varying price tags...220-electronics has it for $149 and hkflix for $329. Anyone know why so severe? I thought that kind of odd. Perhaps any other places reliable to find this machine?

All help would be so appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-15-04, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow... I was gonna order this Malata from hkflix today until I saw your post! Unfortunately, I called 220-electronics, and they said they are sold out of it and it's been discontinued. I asked the reason, and I was told there was a defect which caused tons of complaints.

Even though the price is so high, I really value the overscan fixing capabilities of it, and no other player on the market has that functionality! But know I'm hesitant to order it for that price from hkflix.

Any suggestions?
Old 03-15-04, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I honestly think if you are just going to use it for the occasional multi-region disc, just get one of those cheapy apex or cyberhomes and hack it. $40? Can't go wrong.
Old 03-16-04, 04:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, actually I'm getting it for my main DVD player for my Sony 57" WS TV... I've had my Malata N996 hooked up to it since I got the TV almost 2 years ago, and I've loved it. Unfortunately, something blew up inside of the Malata recently and I haven't been able to get it fixed. The best thing about the Malata was the ability to zoom out and usually fix ~2 inches of overscan on the right and left of the TV on each DVD, and an inch or 2 on the top and bottom of 1.85:1 films. It makes a big difference to me.

I've got about 30 DVDs from other regions, but I don't bother with them near as much as a lot of people with region free players - it really is the zooming out that's most important to me.
Old 03-16-04, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have a Malata 520, which my wife boutgh for me as a birthday present. To view different regions or other format such as Pal all you need to do is to pop in the DVD. There might be some initial adjustments you might have to do, but those are straight forward in the tiny manual. Otherwise it is a decent DVD player, and I love the X-Y scaling on it as I can view non-anamorphic DVDs as anamorphic after some manual adjustments that takes 3 sec. You can also adjust the overscan as mentioned above.

Cheers

DVD Smurf