Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Van Halen - Summer Tour !?!?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Van Halen - Summer Tour !?!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-04, 12:30 PM
Premium Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Van Halen - Sumer Tour !?!?

Just heard this on the radio!

Its with Sammy

http://www.955klos.com/viewentry.asp...7&PT=onaircrew
Old 03-09-04, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Now if only WB would continue with the remasters, this would be a GREAT summer..
Old 03-09-04, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

At this point I'd take either Dave or Sammy as lead singer. I sure as hell will be at this summer tour.
Old 03-09-04, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hope this is true. It is also about time they put out Best of Volume II.
Old 03-09-04, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Van Halen - Sumer Tour !?!?

Originally posted by bfrank
Its with Sammy
Then it's not Van Halen.
Old 03-09-04, 04:35 PM
Mod Emeritus

Spot the common factor....

Deep Purple
Iron Maiden
Rush

etc. etc.
Old 03-09-04, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Re: Van Halen - Sumer Tour !?!?

Originally posted by nodeerforamonth
Then it's not Van Halen.
Old 03-09-04, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Spot the common factor....

Originally posted by benedict
Deep Purple
Iron Maiden
Rush

etc. etc.
WHOA! Don't put Rush with Deep Purple and Van Halen, Rush isn't on a renunion tour!
Old 03-09-04, 05:00 PM
Mod Emeritus

Re: Re: Spot the common factor....

Originally posted by Lateralus
WHOA! Don't put Rush with Deep Purple and Van Halen, Rush isn't on a renunion tour!
Different common factor
Old 03-09-04, 05:19 PM

I think this is great news. I went to the last tour they did with Sammy and it was a great concert. I also went to the one afterwards, not so good. I went to see David Lee Roth on his last tour, he just doesn't have it anymore. I think they made the best choice by going with Sammy again. Looking forward to seeing them this summer.
Old 03-09-04, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Re: Re: Spot the common factor....

Different common factor
Yeah i figured thats what you meant but it still gives me the heebie jeebies to have Rush compared to Van Halen! (no offense to all you Van Halen fans)
Old 03-09-04, 06:15 PM

I love it when bands break up, then trash talk the other members, then proceed to watch their record sales tank, then realize that maybe the other guy wasn't such a jerk after all. Doesn't anyone besides me know how to hold a grudge anymore?
Old 03-09-04, 06:48 PM
Premium Member

riding greatest hits?

Its for real. There will be three new songs on the Best of Volume II.

They are playing tons of VH on the radio and running spots sayt

"Van Halen tour dates coming soon.............."

I am sick of the dave / sammy thing. They were different and bot great. I have seen every LA VH show including their first

I have seen this band over 25 time. I saw sam and daved tour also. They are just different. David is no longer the long haired high note hitting guy so I am fine with sammy. I would be fine with dave also. Just bring Eddie back!!!!!!

Best news in a long time!!

Old 03-09-04, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Cyberock
I went to see David Lee Roth on his last tour, he just doesn't have it anymore.
I couldn't disagree more. I went to see David Lee Roth twice last year. Once on the Roth/Hager tour then Dave did a club tour. Both shows he was terrific and his band played real tight. Yes, David is one ugly bastard and he dresses like its still in the 80s, but he put on a hell of a performance. He still has his voice and his stage presence.
Old 03-09-04, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

^I agree and he knows what the people came to hear and he doesn't disappoint.
Old 03-10-04, 04:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder if the 3 new songs are just leftovers with Sammy doing new vocals...supposedly they were working on a new album before Gary left.
Old 03-10-04, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't mind bands changing singers (AC/DC pulled it off), but Van Halen RADICALLY changed their sound after Sammy joined. They went completely wimpy with all the keyboards and ballads. To the rockers in the world, it was a big lose-lose situation, as VH was a thousand times better before Sammy (no keyboards and not too many wimpy ballads), and Sammy was a thousand times more rockin' before joining VH.
Old 03-10-04, 10:27 AM

Originally posted by nodeerforamonth
I VH was a thousand times better before Sammy (no keyboards and not too many wimpy ballads)
I'm not the biggest VH fan, buy I know that "Jump" and "I'll Wait" both are very keyboard heavy, and are from the "Dave" years.
Old 03-10-04, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by TheMadMonk
I'm not the biggest VH fan, buy I know that "Jump" and "I'll Wait" both are very keyboard heavy, and are from the "Dave" years.
Yeah, but that's from "1984". That doesn't count. That's the exception to the rule. They put out 5 classic albums before that that weren't keyboard heavy.

I was hoping that since Sammy was a "rocker" that he would bring back VH to their greatness, but they became even more wimpy.
Old 03-10-04, 12:58 PM
Mod Emeritus

nodeerforamonth looking through your latest post what you seem to be saying is that Van Halen were in decline and that a new singer did not halt that decline in your eyes. I don't think that supports the contention that without Roth they aren't Van Halen.

I've read similar arguments about, say, Black Sabbath when Ronnie James Dio joined. OK, so they faded into near obscurity not many years after his departure but I still rate Heaven & Hell and Mob Rules higher than the final two Ozzy albums, Never Say Die and Technical Ecstasy.

My view is that although one can hark back to "classic" X or "true" Y that is more to do with time and chemistry: there is nothing to guarantee that putting together the original line-up would recreate those earlier times or that earlier chemistry.

And, looking at a band like Iron Maiden for example, what most people now would call the "classic" line up doesn't include the original singer with whom they recorded a couple of spectacular albums. For my part, I would never argue that bringing back Paul DiAnno would make for a better band but I do smile when some younger fans talked about the "original" band during the Bayley years.
Old 03-10-04, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

5150 was the most synth heavy album...but it was still a great album.

After that they really were not that synth heavy...OU812 only had two synth tracks, Mine All Mine (great song), and Feels So Good.

Yeah the Sammy era did have a lot of ballads, but if you look around the rock world at the time that was the scene...every rock band was doing the power ballad thing in the mid to late 80s.

The band put out some solid stuff during those years, even if it wasn't the party rock that Dave era produced.
Old 03-10-04, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts
OU812 also had When It's Love, which has a lot of synth.
Old 03-10-04, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by cdollaz
OU812 also had When It's Love, which has a lot of synth.
I knew I forgot one...eh ok 3 track out of the whole album...not that much.
Old 03-11-04, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And, looking at a band like Iron Maiden for example, what most people now would call the "classic" line up doesn't include the original singer with whom they recorded a couple of spectacular albums. For my part, I would never argue that bringing back Paul DiAnno would make for a better band but I do smile when some younger fans talked about the "original" band during the Bayley years.
Or Clive Burr on drums (till Piece of Mind? not sure)...and I think Adrian Smith cam on the 2nd or 3rd album...

As far as VH...I have seen both lineups and I really dig the original, not the Hagar version (which I had seen a few times but....). Maybe it was the later VH songs (many songs of which I did not really like), also a couple of Hagar tunes on the set lists that turned me off at the concerts.

However many people loved the Hagar lineup and they will do fine...it's not a bad band by any means....just not what I really enjoyed from my past experience...and I will most likely pass on this show but I would love to see EVH play...tough call.
Old 03-11-04, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

nodeerforamonth looking through your latest post what you seem to be saying is that Van Halen were in decline and that a new singer did not halt that decline in your eyes. I don't think that supports the contention that without Roth they aren't Van Halen.

I've read similar arguments about, say, Black Sabbath when Ronnie James Dio joined. OK, so they faded into near obscurity not many years after his departure but I still rate Heaven & Hell and Mob Rules higher than the final two Ozzy albums, Never Say Die and Technical Ecstasy.

My view is that although one can hark back to "classic" X or "true" Y that is more to do with time and chemistry: there is nothing to guarantee that putting together the original line-up would recreate those earlier times or that earlier chemistry.
Sounds like we're in agreement.

Black Sabbath certainly rebounded from their downward spiral when Dio joined.

VH failed with Hagar because they went even wimpier with more keyboards and more ballads. They had potential to be one of the most rockin' bands ever.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.