Community
Search

The Usual Suspects: SE Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-04, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
The Usual Suspects: SE Question

Just a quick question. When I went to Target around 2 weeks ago maybe they had The Usual Suspects Special Edition DVD, the cover was a deep orange tint and looked really cool. Now tonight I went back (same with Circuit City) and the cover is all the guys standing in a lineup (the original cover?) I'm just wondering is MGM putting out 2 different covers or something?
Old 03-04-04, 11:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The original release had a slip cover which would have been the one you saw in deep orange. This was limited I think and now you would be lucky to find.
Old 03-05-04, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Correct... The "orange" cover was the limited edition slipcover... The DVD underneath (lineup cover) is the same SE with the same "lineup" cover... Minus the slipcase.

See Reservoir Dogs...
Old 03-05-04, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=2296

that is the one I saw. it had the slipcase cover you guys were talking about but as the main cover. im still confused haha.
Old 03-05-04, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
What's there to be confused about? When it was released, it came with a slipcover. Now it doesn't.
Old 03-05-04, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by fumanstan
What's there to be confused about? When it was released, it came with a slipcover. Now it doesn't.
the confusion lies in that slipcover you guys are talking about was the actual cover for the one I saw at Target a couple weeks ago (no slipcover), now when I go back to get it, it has the cover you guys say is under the slipcover. I'm just wondering where all those copies went and if the ones I saw are newer copies. I apologize if I'm asking a stupid question here
Old 03-05-04, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally posted by asianxcore
the confusion lies in that slipcover you guys are talking about was the actual cover for the one I saw at Target a couple weeks ago (no slipcover), now when I go back to get it, it has the cover you guys say is under the slipcover. I'm just wondering where all those copies went and if the ones I saw are newer copies. I apologize if I'm asking a stupid question here
I think you just saw the one with the slipcover and thought it was just a regular cover. Unlike a Disney title, the slipcover would be UNDER the plastic (instead of over it).
Old 03-05-04, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DVD Josh
I think you just saw the one with the slipcover and thought it was just a regular cover. Unlike a Disney title, the slipcover would be UNDER the plastic (instead of over it).
thanks for the help.
Old 03-05-04, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MGM does this a lot with their SEs... They originally release it with a cool slip cover for a limited time, then they just release it with the cover that comes under the slip cover.

See:
Bull Durham, Thelma & Louise, Usual Suspects, etc.
Old 03-05-04, 07:02 PM

That would be my guess as well. It doesn't really look like a slip cover - it's a plastic slip cover that you can see through in some places, not a cardboard one like you see most of the time.
Old 03-06-04, 12:01 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
There was an old version of the Usual Suspects, with a white cover and the line-up, and a newer SE version with the orangy star-burst cover of the line-up.

The SE version had a slip-cover with the front not looking all that much different than the current case.

So there you go.